PDA

View Full Version : "Dog Bones"! Rear Pitman Arms

helm
10-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Gentlemen:
I have 525i 91 with 129K miles on it. It came from shop yesterday, following a routine Inspection 1. The diagnosis is it need 2 (part no. 33-32-1-126-476), "dog bones". I understand this to be the rear "pitman arms" as part of the rear 'trailing arm'. They are apparently "seized! They are estimated to cost about C$160, but I'm sure I can do better with BMA or other supplier.
May I ask, what do these arms do and is it a "big" deal if they are seized, please? Is this a difficult job to do? Can a novice replace these with some basic tools??

Also my front "thrust rod bushings are worn out and are starting to have play in them. I understand that "Lemforder" arms with the 750 bushing is the way to go. I gather BMA has these or I could get them from Bruno in Toronto Canada since I live near there!

Also my rear mount carrier bushing seem to be collapsing! (Part no. 33-31-1-129-760). While this work is being done, should some of the other bushings be considered for replacement?

After all that is done, I imagine an alignment would be necessary with the new tires!

Any comments from some of you guys please!
Regards,
Helm

genphreak
10-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Man, sounds like you better do the lot. A kit on eBay for all the front stuff is $250 odd. The rear requires dogman arms ($40), pitbones ($50) (Sorry I'm ROFL) I mean pitman arms and dogbones... plus trailing arm bushes (60), shock mounts ($30) carrier mount ($30), subframe mounts ($80). CHeck teh online ETK there are some other bushes perhaps or soemthing I"ve missed. Perhaps shocks ($250-$400/4) (nice springs whilst you're in there are $200/4), check your CV boots too ($80). Alignment yes... might as well get that done by someone else! I would be careful who you pay to do the R&R- the front bushes have to be torqued to spec a certain way, rear stuff needs some patience. :) Nick

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 07:34 AM
yep, give Bruno a call on all the parts.

Bill R.
10-06-2005, 07:44 AM
the dogbones or pittman arms, this lists its functionhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Tracklink.jpg

Gentlemen:
I have 525i 91 with 129K miles on it. It came from shop yesterday, following a routine Inspection 1. The diagnosis is it need 2 (part no. 33-32-1-126-476), "dog bones". I understand this to be the rear "pitman arms" as part of the rear 'trailing arm'. They are apparently "seized! They are estimated to cost about C$160, but I'm sure I can do better with BMA or other supplier.
May I ask, what do these arms do and is it a "big" deal if they are seized, please? Is this a difficult job to do? Can a novice replace these with some basic tools??

Also my front "thrust rod bushings are worn out and are starting to have play in them. I understand that "Lemforder" arms with the 750 bushing is the way to go. I gather BMA has these or I could get them from Bruno in Toronto Canada since I live near there!

Also my rear mount carrier bushing seem to be collapsing! (Part no. 33-31-1-129-760). While this work is being done, should some of the other bushings be considered for replacement?

After all that is done, I imagine an alignment would be necessary with the new tires!

Any comments from some of you guys please!
Regards,
Helm

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 08:46 AM
This is why the E34 doesn't squat as much as say the E28 and others.

helm
10-06-2005, 12:53 PM
replacement item that only used basic tools!

Realy appreciate your help.
Man you know your "stuff"!
Helm

the dogbones or pittman arms, this lists its functionhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Tracklink.jpg

dacoyote
10-06-2005, 01:21 PM
replacement item that only used basic tools!

Realy appreciate your help.
Man you know your "stuff"!
Helm

Dog Bones Replace (http://www.rayd.co.uk/blogs/rayblog.nsf/D6Plinks//Replacingdogbones)

It's not a e34.. but its just about the same.

-Charles