PDA

View Full Version : Before/ After Koni and H&R

Maximabello
10-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Installed my new suspension last weekend. (Thanks Jeff N for the help) Posting pics for those who are still shopping.

My setup:
1990 535
235 45 17
Koni H&R
I.E. Camber plates (fixed)
3mm Spring pads

So far really happy with the ride, although I sprained my left ankle so I haven't been able to drive it much. Car is very responsive now, firm but not obnoxious.

Qube
10-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Is there a change in ride height? I can't really tell...

Maximabello
10-05-2005, 07:48 PM
The pictures don't show the drop well, it is quite a bit lower, Just about perfect for me. I will try to get better/closer pictures.

Qube
10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
How much did you spend in total?

Alexlind123
10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
The front looks a bit lower to me. Altogether a better stance.

Maximabello
10-05-2005, 08:01 PM
probably 900ish. Got the plates used.

It does have a nice stance. Looks much better in person.

632 Regal
10-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Big difference! Looks a lot better, I like.

Jeff N.
10-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Making me think I should drop my car a tad more!! :) We need to trade rides again and see how things compare.

uscharalph
10-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Installed my new suspension last weekend. (Thanks Jeff N for the help) Posting pics for those who are still shopping.

My setup:
1990 535
235 45 17
Koni H&R
I.E. Camber plates (fixed)
3mm Spring pads

So far really happy with the ride, although I sprained my left ankle so I haven't been able to drive it much. Car is very responsive now, firm but not obnoxious.
Cool, I'm looking at 17" wheels and lowring my car.

helm
10-06-2005, 07:13 AM
I understand this is an "aggressive, competitive " set-up! The Koni's let you adjust the rate but the springs are the "hardest" on the market!
Is that the concenous?
Helm.

Maximabello
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Making me think I should drop my car a tad more!! :) We need to trade rides again and see how things compare.

Yes, we'll trade cars again. Although your car will make me want a 3.7 that is not in my car budget!
Drivers School form in the mail today, can't wait.

I understand this is an "aggressive, competitive " set-up! The Koni's let you adjust the rate but the springs are the "hardest" on the market!
Is that the concenous?
I have been really happy with the ride, still experimenting with the koni settings. I would not consider it harsh at all. Stock was squishy, now it's firm. Keep in mind the roads are pretty good around here, no city driving with this setup yet.

Robin-535im
10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Looks nice! Are your rear koni's adjustable? Do you have to take off the strut to do so?

Maximabello
10-06-2005, 11:52 AM
Looks nice! Are your rear koni's adjustable? Do you have to take off the strut to do so?
Yes, have to take everything back out. They are on full soft now, i will probably change them in a bit. I wish the rear adjustment was external like my roomates prelude.

You made me go this route when you said:

Man I love driving that thing!

Thanks!

McWatters
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey man, looks great, really like the lowered look i may have to do that to mine later on

cheers

J.McWatters

Robin-535im
10-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Re: loving to drive it... still do!! Have you had a chance to really test out the new suspension? I forgot if you mentioned your sway setup.

And... did Jeff really let you drive his 3.7? :)

Jeff N.
10-06-2005, 01:08 PM
It's starting to loosen up a bit, about 1800 miles on it so far.

Erik was gentle with it. :)

Maximabello
10-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Re: loving to drive it... still do!! Have you had a chance to really test out the new suspension? I forgot if you mentioned your sway setup.

I haven't really been able to test it out yet due to rain and my sprained ankle. I will go hit some on-ramps soon. Stock sways for now, I want to get a feel for it like this.

Yeah, Jeffs car is fun! Was still being broken in when I drove, It really kicks at 4k. If is interesting to compare the 3.7 vs. my basicly stock drivetrain (eat).
Got to drive Martin's earlier too! Both cars are very tight

Maximabello
10-06-2005, 01:25 PM
It's starting to loosen up a bit, about 1800 miles on it so far.

Erik was gentle with it. :)

I need a ride with you driving. Esp. on some on-ramps!

Ted K
10-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Erik,
What is the fender to ground height front and rear? I am looking into lowering my 535im down here in Olympia.

Maximabello
10-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Erik,
What is the fender to ground height front and rear? I am looking into lowering my 535im down here in Olympia.

25 5/8 F
26 in the Rear

I believe we have twin cars, yours is white right? If you are up this way you are welcome to test it out!

Robin-535im
10-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I haven't really been able to test it out yet due to rain and my sprained ankle. I will go hit some on-ramps soon. Stock sways for now, I want to get a feel for it like this.

Yeah, Jeffs car is fun! Was still being broken in when I drove, It really kicks at 4k. If is interesting to compare the 3.7 vs. my basicly stock drivetrain (eat).
Got to drive Martin's earlier too! Both cars are very tight
I met both Martin and Jeff when I went to pick up my 535 from Derek at Strictly BMW in Bellevue. Didn't get to see Martin's car... something about tree sap IIRC. I followed Jeff on a few on-ramps and even back then the car was a rocket!

My wife is lucky we don't live up there... I guarantee my weekly car-time would be much higher!

Jeff N.
10-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm really impressed with his latest project - the MAF less; AFM less car!

Gonna have to check it out this weekend - might be the way I go too!

I met both Martin and Jeff when I went to pick up my 535 from Derek at Strictly BMW in Bellevue. Didn't get to see Martin's car... something about tree sap IIRC. I followed Jeff on a few on-ramps and even back then the car was a rocket!

My wife is lucky we don't live up there... I guarantee my weekly car-time would be much higher!

Ted K
10-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes it is. We should make plans for us all to get together somewhere and check out your car before I buy anything.

Maximabello
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes it is. We should make plans for us all to get together somewhere and check out your car before I buy anything.

There was interest in a local e34 meet, would be fun before the weather is crap all the time.

Maximabello
10-08-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm really impressed with his latest project - the MAF less; AFM less car!

Gonna have to check it out this weekend - might be the way I go too!

Hmmm...Details?

Ted K
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Erik
My Koni's and Eibachs are coming this week. What do you recomend I set the Konis at?

Any tips on installing all this?

Maximabello
01-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Mine are 3/4 to firm. Really happy with the ride.

Make sure you know how to adjust the rears before you start, simple but I was in a hurry and installed them full soft, 3/4 is much better.

Feel free to call if you have any problems, I will PM my #.

Erik
My Koni's and Eibachs are coming this week. What do you recomend I set the Konis at?

Any tips on installing all this?