PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster setup

Claude
10-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I must replace the instrument cluster on my 535i 1989 (it is intermittent, all indicators randomly On or Off).

On the back of the electronic board to be replaced i have 4 cable connectors and 1 plug in module (i think this module is the non erasable memory that keep track of the car millage / kilometrage).

I am located in Canada, so my actual board is setup so that Kilometers instead of Miles are displayed.

QUESTIONS:
1) Will my actual plug in module put on the new board take care of this Km setup ?

2) If not how the board setup could be change from Miles to Kilometers ?

I want to avoid to get a new board and get stuck with Miles instead of Km !

Thanks Claude

SRR2
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Browse the electrical archive and search this forum. There's some information on this specific question, I believe. Also, the behavior of the cluster may be indicative of the capacitor problem. There's lots of information on that. It's not difficult to repair for anyone with basic electronic construction skills and equipment. I also had an '89 535 that had the problem and fixed it myself without too much trouble.

Claude
10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Browse the electrical archive and search this forum. There's some information on this specific question, I believe. Also, the behavior of the cluster may be indicative of the capacitor problem. There's lots of information on that. It's not difficult to repair for anyone with basic electronic construction skills and equipment. I also had an '89 535 that had the problem and fixed it myself without too much trouble.
---------------------

I am aware of those fix, i already have change the 2 possible defective capacitors but still have the intermittence problem. Claude :(

Bill R.
10-05-2005, 07:22 PM
all the plug in module... but on the 89 the coding plug in the end of the wiring harness, not a separate module... at any rate yes the coding plug contains the miles/kilometers info

I must replace the instrument cluster on my 535i 1989 (it is intermittent, all indicators randomly On or Off).

On the back of the electronic board to be replaced i have 4 cable connectors and 1 plug in module (i think this module is the non erasable memory that keep track of the car millage / kilometrage).

I am located in Canada, so my actual board is setup so that Kilometers instead of Miles are displayed.

QUESTIONS:
1) Will my actual plug in module put on the new board take care of this Km setup ?

2) If not how the board setup could be change from Miles to Kilometers ?

I want to avoid to get a new board and get stuck with Miles instead of Km !

Thanks Claude

Claude
10-05-2005, 08:45 PM
all the plug in module... but on the 89 the coding plug in the end of the wiring harness, not a separate module... at any rate yes the coding plug contains the miles/kilometers info

Bill So a USA board on a canadian car is not an issue.
In my case the coding plug (if it's the proper name) is a brown module plug directly on the circuit board and protected by a white plastic flap, from the back of the board this module is located almost in the middle (2 cable connector on the left side, 2 others on the right and this module in between.

AN OTHER QUESTION FOR YOU:
My car is a manual one, will it be a problem if the replacement board come from an automatic car ?

Bill R.
10-05-2005, 10:08 PM
which is when they started putting the coding plugs directly on the
cluster instead on inline on the wiring harness... I'm not positive but i think the cluster is interchangeable with automatic and manual.

Bill So a USA board on a canadian car is not an issue.
In my case the coding plug (if it's the proper name) is a brown module plug directly on the circuit board and protected by a white plastic flap, from the back of the board this module is located almost in the middle (2 cable connector on the left side, 2 others on the right and this module in between.

AN OTHER QUESTION FOR YOU:
My car is a manual one, will it be a problem if the replacement board come from an automatic car ?

shogun
10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Maybe that helps
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/299960/299960.html

Claude
10-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Maybe that helps
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/299960/299960.html

That's very pertinent infos. Thanks very much