PDA

View Full Version : Performance mods - what's next?

Gooch
10-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Always wanted more power but never did anything after the JC chip and a K & N. What would be your suggestions for more HP after this point besides a new motor? M50TU

Interceptor
10-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Always wanted more power but never did anything after the JC chip and a K & N. What would be your suggestions for more HP after this point besides a new motor? M50TU
First, start by removing the K&N! :)

Second, follow this list:
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Recipe.htm

Alexlind123
10-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Removing the k&n? How would that improve performance? If a k&n does anything, it increases power, not decreases.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Removing the k&n? How would that improve performance? If a k&n does anything, it increases power, not decreases.

That's debatable.

infinity5
10-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Depends on how to added the K&N. If you just took out your air box and put on a cone you probably lost power. If you used a stock-sized filter or made a customer cold air intake for the cone, you probaly gained power.

:)

infinity5
10-05-2005, 03:04 PM
I've gotten the impression its not easy or cheap to add power to these engines beyond what you've done. You could always modify the valves, head, cam shafts, headers, etc. You could do some kind of forced induction. I don't really know beyond that, there's so mcuh talk on this board about technical issues we don't over get into performance upgrades.

SRR2
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
And only until the oil gunks up the MAF and you have NO horsepower. K&N is one of the geat marketing scams of the 20th century, right up there with Monster Cable.

infinity5
10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
omg monster cables ownz j00 :-D

Kalevera
10-05-2005, 04:08 PM
And only until the oil gunks up the MAF and you have NO horsepower. K&N is one of the geat marketing scams of the 20th century, right up there with Monster Cable.
Man, we need to get this guy on TV!!! :)

best, whit

DanDombrowski
10-05-2005, 05:25 PM
See if you can get an exhaust shop to make you a header. It prob won't give you any power, but I bet you could drop a good 15 lbs.

RobPatt
10-05-2005, 05:35 PM
... but a big job$$$... lighter pulleys$$, full synthetic fluids$.. empty extra crap out of your trunk $0. proper tire inflation $0... all in all, not a whole lot .... figure a 2.5L engine w/a chip and you're doing almost 200hp right, not bad for a regular 2.5? read a while back think mark desilva said EAT on the M50TU plus'd up about 14hp. 189+14=203 cheers, else get the 540 or M5 :)

Brandon J
10-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok, I must chime in. I have done almost every thing to this engine. I had an intake, 540i MAF, M3 cams/valve springs/retainers, custom chips, larger injectors, lightweight flywheel, Blanton rear diff 3.46.

I noticed differences with these mods when switching intakes, from stock, to a large cone filter bolted directly to the MAF, to a cone filter with a down tube. These 3 variations did make a difference. Stock was least amount of power, filter bolted directly to MAF yielded more HP in the upper end, but less TQ down low. The cone filter and down tube yielded more TQ down low and mid, but less HP in the upper. If you use a cone filter w/ or w/o a tube, you will need a good heat shield.

From my experience my car was fast. It had globs of mid torque and lots of HP. Breaking loose wasn't hard with my combo. Now is it for everyone, NO. The aluminum flywheel rattled, the car was still a dog with passengers, and you can only do so much without displacement.

What I can say is that the flywheel and rear diff was a great combo. The engine spun up very quickly to gain the power from the mid and upper end taking advantage of those M3 cams. Plus, with the larger diff gear ratio, it helped adding torque to the ground. The cams are awesome. Just make sure you get a good cam/chip combo. I had 2 different chips burned for me. Can't use a Jim C chip based on the stock parameters, engine will run rough and may stall.

I would say that if you want some extra power out of your M50tu, the best next step is to go for cams/chip combo. Then if you so choose, go for the diff. Anything beyond that, you should just do an S50 swap. Search the archives for more info on this.

Alexlind123
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I have a monster s-video cable for my gamecube and the picture quality is 3X better than stock. :)

infinity5
10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
I have a monster s-video cable for my gamecube and the picture quality is 3X better than stock. :)
ahahah, "stock" :)

my stock computer.. stock diswasher. I really should start calling all kinds of things "stock"

Qube
10-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Jacking the thread, but you can't make a quantative measure with qualative (damn spelling) judgements. What exactly is 3x better picture quality from your GCube?

Alexlind123
10-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Im running my gamecube through a video converter box so that i may use it with a monitor. For a more qualitative explanation; with the cable it came with and with an off-brand s-video cable there was some shadowing and flickering, especially around text. With the monster cable, the picture cleared up dramatically. Im not saying that all monster cables are all they say they are, but my experience with monster products have been a positive one. So far, monster has left the impression of quality products with me, the cable is much thicker and also appears much more durable that my previous cables.

pundit
10-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Don't start me on Hi-Fi voodoo mumbo jumbo.
Let me see...
1. Pyramids above the turntable
2. Directional (with marked arrows) speaker cables
3. Special IEC A/C mains leads ($2,000.00 US) that are supposed enhance the sound
4. Secret formula varnish that you paint all over your Hi-Fi equipment (including the capacitors and transistors inside your amplifier!) which cancels out nasty harmonic resonances and filters out horrible interference from the outside world.
5. I could go on but just go here (http://sound.westhost.com/madashell.htm) and read.... BWWWWWWAAAAAAHAAHAAHA!!! :p

Eric K
10-05-2005, 11:15 PM
How many of these upgrades, MAF, throttle body....will work on my 1987 E28 535is

Interceptor
10-06-2005, 03:58 AM
...and if you stick a banana up one of your exhaust pipes your car will go faster due to the increased back pressure! :)

Kids, don't try this at home, we are trained professionals :)

genphreak
10-06-2005, 04:46 AM
How many of these upgrades, MAF, throttle body....will work on my 1987 E28 535is All of them :)

genphreak
10-06-2005, 04:48 AM
I've gotten the impression its not easy or cheap to add power to these engines beyond what you've done. You could always modify the valves, head, cam shafts, headers, etc. You could do some kind of forced induction. I don't really know beyond that, there's so mcuh talk on this board about technical issues we don't over get into performance upgrades.Yes they are well-made at the factory. I'd go back to a stock aircleaner and invest in a split second MAF setup, new O2 sensor, and injectors (and maybe a head job. It's always worth getting one of those) :)

Dave M
10-06-2005, 04:55 AM
ahahah, "stock" :)

my stock computer.. stock diswasher. I really should start calling all kinds of things "stock"

I love it.

I'm thinking about setting my stock alarm a half hour earlier for a sweet performance upgrade.

Dave M

Gooch
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I didn't think you were listening anymore and was wondering if anyone else tried the cams. I've been watching this board since day one and can't remember anyone else but you trying the M3 cams. What would you say the HP increase was from the CAM & chip combo?

Board has changed over the years.

Eric K
10-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Where can you get a MAF

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I upgraded to dual 13" monitors...who needs high definition with this!

Johntee540
10-06-2005, 05:39 PM
CAI and KN Filters have 1/3 the surface area of the stock filter - how does that improve performance?. The filter area for stock Airbox is like 100 sq inches. With a CAI and KN you are restricting the airflow to the engine - I dont get it. Some one splain me. - JT