PDA

View Full Version : T-stat Housing Gasket..... Which One?

granit_silber
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey All,

Planning to do the the T-stat replacement and coolant change Friday morning. Just got off the phone with the dealer trying to see if they had the housing gasket in stock.

They do. In fact they have two different kinds. I told the parts guy that I have an aluminum housing instead of the plastic one. He said they have a paper gasket and a rubber gasket and o-ring.

Which one do I need?
He seems to think I need the paper one 'cause of the housing but also wanted the prod date. (paper one is also the more expensive one)

-ashley

uscharalph
10-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey All,

Planning to do the the T-stat replacement and coolant change Friday morning. Just got off the phone with the dealer trying to see if they had the housing gasket in stock.

They do. In fact they have two different kinds. I told the parts guy that I have an aluminum housing instead of the plastic one. He said they have a paper gasket and a rubber gasket and o-ring.

Which one do I need?
He seems to think I need the paper one 'cause of the housing but also wanted the prod date. (paper one is also the more expensive one)

-ashley
Are you replacing the housing? If you're just replacing the thermostat, mine came with the o-ring and a gasket which wasn't needed. I have the metal housing. Mine has the M20 engine by the way.

granit_silber
10-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Are you replacing the housing?
No, I'm not replacing the housing just the t-stat. But I thought I had to remove the housing to get at the t-stat and as such needed to replace the gasket.

I know that my questions about this sound tedious, but I have a very short time frame to attempt a repair I've never done (even a seemingly easy one). And I don't want to find myself stuck needing one more part, when I won't have anyone nearby to drive me anywhere.
-ashley

winfred
10-06-2005, 06:15 AM
the bmw aluminum housing takes the paper gasket and black o-ring, the aftermarket aluminum housing takes the black o-ring and orange rubber seal that the bmw plastic housing takes, the aftermarket housing usually (not always) has "ronak" stamped on it

Mendozart
10-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Acyre has the m50 engine, whole different housing, which has a couple gaskets.

winfred
10-06-2005, 09:46 AM
that's what i described

Acyre has the m50 engine, whole different housing, which has a couple gaskets.

Mendozart
10-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry about that, I was just letting Ralph know the difference.