PDA

View Full Version : Average cost for new tranny & install..

olsan100
10-05-2005, 10:09 AM
What would be a good estimate for a remanufactured tranny from BMW & install from a local shop?

Anyone with thoughts about this?

My guy is saying, everything together will run about $3700. That seems a bit high, but I don't really know.

Does anyone think I should just not bother and sell the car. I've got about $4500 into the car (with original purchase and misc stuff.)

Also, I had a BMW dealer do a buyers check on it before I bought it, and that was just over a month ago. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks all.

Signed
Miserable
:(

Bill R.
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
2032.00 here from zionsville (http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/shop.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=6134&Category_Code=RT)
Your local bmw dealer should have them for just about the same price. You should be able to get it installed for about 300 or so. Any decent transmission builder in you area should be able to rebuild yours installed for about 1800 or less.. This transmission is used on a number of different cars and many transmission shops have experience with it, so its not as hard to find experienced people to rebuild it like the ZF is....I think your guy is a couple of grand too high...

(http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/shop.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=6134&Category_Code=RT)

What would be a good estimate for a remanufactured tranny from BMW & install from a local shop?

Anyone with thoughts about this?

My guy is saying, everything together will run about $3700. That seems a bit high, but I don't really know.

Does anyone think I should just not bother and sell the car. I've got about $4500 into the car (with original purchase and misc stuff.)

Also, I had a BMW dealer do a buyers check on it before I bought it, and that was just over a month ago. Any thoughts on that.

Thanks all.

Signed
Miserable
:(

olsan100
10-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I just checked, and the BMW dealer around here wants $2540 for a factory refurb. (plus $500 for the core).

My local guy was going to get a BMW refurb. So, it looks like he's trying to charge around $1200 to install it.

If you get it rebuilt, is that basically the same as getting a factory refurb unit? I've heard some people say they've had trouble with local people rebuilding them. But, maybe that was with the ZF.

Bill R.
10-05-2005, 10:49 AM
accurate for 2080... the zionsville link i posted is an actual bmw rebuilt unit with bmw warranty. If you check around you should be able to find out which local trans rebuilders have a good reputation and are able to do it with no problems, It should still come out considerably below 2000 at a transmission shop with a warranty.

I just checked, and the BMW dealer around here wants $2540 for a factory refurb. (plus $500 for the core).

My local guy was going to get a BMW refurb. So, it looks like he's trying to charge around $1200 to install it.

If you get it rebuilt, is that basically the same as getting a factory refurb unit? I've heard some people say they've had trouble with local people rebuilding them. But, maybe that was with the ZF.

George Davis
10-05-2005, 10:51 AM
I had my 4L30E rebuilt by a local shop that specializes in Mercedes and BMW transmissions. The rebuild cost about $2250 total, and included a lot of new parts and has a 2 year warranty. They installed upgraded thrust washers (factory thrust washers are plastic and break eventually, the upgrade thrust washers are metal).

They said they could also install a factory reman transmission for about $2800 total, but this has only a 1 year warranty and they couldn't guarantee that the upgraded thrust washers are used.

Last, replace the 3rd gear drum even if it looks good. This is another part that can eventually break (did in mine, and in many others according to this shop).

olsan100
10-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm starting to just check around at some transmission shops and see what they can come up with for me by doing a rebuild. That seems more feasible.

In theory, should a rebuild be just as good as factory refurb?

632 Regal
10-05-2005, 11:08 AM
matters on their experience, I'd like to think a factory refurb would be a better bet...kinda like Lemforder vs some off the wall brand.

I'm starting to just check around at some transmission shops and see what they can come up with for me by doing a rebuild. That seems more feasible.

In theory, should a rebuild be just as good as factory refurb?

olsan100
10-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I suppose that's true.

I think I'm just not as excited about spending as much on the transmission as I spent buying the car. LOL Maybe that's why I got a decent deal on the car. Things that make you go.. hmmmmm....

Kalevera
10-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Uhm. What indicates that the trans needs replacing?

The GM trans is a piece, but there are lots of fixes for various issues.

$2540 is what most dealers will charge you for the reman. I'd only buy a reman -- 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. You may be able to find it for sub $2000 somewhere if you're lucky -- I don't know. Zionsville is an excellent source.

One thing to consider is a manual trans swap. The parts are inexpensive and readily available.

Best, whit

olsan100
10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Well, when going around a corner and acclerating, or coasting through a stop and then accelerating, then car would act as if it wasn't in gear and the "clunk" it would catch and take off.

I was originally just hoping it was low ATF fluid. Then I was hoping it was low pressure in the line. Neither of those was the case.

The mechanic I have drove it around and noticed the problem is in 2nd gear.

Yes, it's a GM tranny. Worthless. If I ever go shopping around for another E34, I'll stay away from that tranny.

I've thought about doing the manual swap, but, I can't get the wife to agree. As it's her car to drive most of the time.

Bill R.
10-05-2005, 07:19 PM
mechanic.... I would first change the filter and trans fluid and correctly top off the fluid. From the sound of it I would venture a guess of low fluid level or dirty screen or leaking between the screen and the valve body. I strongly suspect low fluid level.... Does it also do it if you slam on the brakes and stop quickly and then try to take off.. do you then have a lag and suddenly it will bang into gear?

Well, when going around a corner and acclerating, or coasting through a stop and then accelerating, then car would act as if it wasn't in gear and the "clunk" it would catch and take off.

I was originally just hoping it was low ATF fluid. Then I was hoping it was low pressure in the line. Neither of those was the case.

The mechanic I have drove it around and noticed the problem is in 2nd gear.

Yes, it's a GM tranny. Worthless. If I ever go shopping around for another E34, I'll stay away from that tranny.

I've thought about doing the manual swap, but, I can't get the wife to agree. As it's her car to drive most of the time.

Elekta
10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
check under the car for fluid. I have a very minor leak and every 5 months or so, I get the not a full stop then go....clunk, and that has always been time for a top up with fluid.

It's just under a hundy to change the fluid...I'd start there and get a visual while you're under it. At least then you'll know that it's full.

Kalevera
10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
mechanic.... I would first change the filter and trans fluid and correctly top off the fluid. From the sound of it I would venture a guess of low fluid level or dirty screen or leaking between the screen and the valve body. I strongly suspect low fluid level.... Does it also do it if you slam on the brakes and stop quickly and then try to take off.. do you then have a lag and suddenly it will bang into gear?
True, (unlikely but) could also be tranny cooler related....how was the fluid pressure tested?

I don't know if there are any Iowa shops in the IAIBMWSP, but you might be able to find something in reasonable driving distance: http://www.iaibmvsp.org.

best, whit