PDA

View Full Version : Heater control valve repair (Shogun?)

Craig in Davis
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I thought it was on this board but I can't find the post now. Maybe it was RF? At any rate I was reading about the heater control valve and if memory serves me right it was Shogun who mentioned that 735i with a build date of 3/88 or earlier came with a heater control valve that is repairable like the old e28 heater control valve.

Well, I was junkyarding yesterday and came across a 2/87 build date 735i with the heater control valve intact. It is indeed repairable with repair kits that are ~20 per side so ~40 to repair both. I picked it up with the coolant pump for $4.94. I also picked up a later model heater control valve out of a 3/88 735i minus the pump for the same price. Not sure if I have the dates wrong or this one was replaced with later model. Both seem ok in that if you shake them gently you can hear the valves moving. Mine is stuck open which seems to be the typical failure mode. I'll check them out better this weekend when I replace the leaking radiator and hopefully replace the bad heater control valve.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
damn thats a good point you made about shaking it to see if they move...dammit im too late.

shogun
10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
I have a set from 1988 in the box next to my PC. Changed them last year when the aux water pump went south, but the valves are still o.k.
I have no more direct info about the repair but the old one are repairable and there should be repair kits.
In such case just check on my website what is available.
Here a direct link to Johan's write up
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/watervalves/watervalves.html

Craig in Davis
10-04-2005, 07:38 PM
repairable heater control valve looks like. I found the repair kit at carpartstogo.com

Here a direct link to Johan's write up
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/watervalves/watervalves.html

Paul in NZ
10-05-2005, 02:36 AM
will the replaceable valves fit the new style.....i have occasional blasts of full heat from the drivers side........man what a heater!

genphreak
10-05-2005, 05:01 AM
If anyone has a new type valve (yes, the non-repairable type) ie the actual valve part from inside the valve assembly (its the the brass cone with the little stick on it that tends to break) or;

a compete or semi-complete new type assembly that was removed due to malfunction, I'm sure in need, feel free to PM me! :) Nick

ie There are some circumstances in which the new type valve can be repaired (only if you have broken shafts and no-leak), however new parts are not avialable separately, hence my post to scavenge others' throw-outs.. :)

Rory535i
10-05-2005, 05:14 AM
My car was manufactured 12/88. would that be the same as the 7 series? i recently took out my old heater valves that didn't work properly and replaced them with another second hand set that don't work either :( Where can u buy the repair kits from?

Rory535i
10-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Never mind, just saw the picture of the repairable ones. not the same as mine unfortunately.

Craig in Davis
10-05-2005, 07:50 AM
will the replaceable valves fit the new style.....i have occasional blasts of full heat from the drivers side........man what a heater!

eom

shogun
09-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Items for sale from ferrulli_motor_works
BMW heater control valve kits
ferrulli_motor_works | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/ferrulli_motor_works/m.html?item=181219713946&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562)

BMW Heater Control Valve Repair Kit E32, E34, E38, E39, M5 & X5
US $79.99
This just for the case that someone is still loking for these repair kits.

Since I repaired old heater valves before and I know how brittle the plastic gets after more than 15 years and the probability that the plastic hose connections break is high, I will not buy them. Better wait for the special offers at the online shops, last a cpl. new Hella heater valve I bought was $120, and that lasts again another 15 years.