PDA

View Full Version : 540i on eBay

integrale
10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
eBay car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-BMW-540i-RARE-6-SPEED-FAST-AWESOME-LO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4579611801QQcategoryZ6008QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went to see it today and it looks great, but the dealer absolutely flipped out when I asked to take it to my mechanic. Too bad, I wish I could've found out if it was a good car. Some weird engine/clutch things when I drove it (which he let me do for <1mi), but this was my fist 4L, so I didn't know what to expect.

If you know these cars well, it might be worth a look - assuming he even lets you look at it. Carfax has 24 records, not that that necessarily means bad news. Still, very suspicious.

Alexlind123
10-04-2005, 04:22 PM
It doesnt sound like a dealer that i would buy anything from.

SRR2
10-04-2005, 04:26 PM
So it's a "BEMER" that the owner took great "CAR" of, eh? Looks kinda beat up to me in some of those pictures. Lots of scratches and dings. And (drum roll please) not a word about NIKASIL. No wonder the guy flipped when you wanted to have a good look at it.

Was that Boston Green? My late, great M-Roadster was Boston Green. What a cool color that is. AFAIK, it was the only dichroic paint ever offered by BMW, and was pretty rare.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 04:51 PM
the idle is real high sporting a check engine lite too...could be simple could be a nightmare. Thats why he didnt want yo to take it anywhere, their trying to just off it.

uscharalph
10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
eBay car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-BMW-540i-RARE-6-SPEED-FAST-AWESOME-LO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ4579611801QQcategoryZ6008QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I went to see it today and it looks great, but the dealer absolutely flipped out when I asked to take it to my mechanic. Too bad, I wish I could've found out if it was a good car. Some weird engine/clutch things when I drove it (which he let me do for <1mi), but this was my fist 4L, so I didn't know what to expect.

If you know these cars well, it might be worth a look - assuming he even lets you look at it. Carfax has 24 records, not that that necessarily means bad news. Still, very suspicious.
I wonder what the reserve is?

Kalevera
10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I saw and watched that when it started. Steve, boston green was a later addition ('96? I've seen it on Z3s built around then); oxford green was what the late E34s wore in that hue.

Best, whit

integrale
10-04-2005, 07:05 PM
It was a circus. The guy was nuts. He was impatient the whole time once he saw how young I am. Does he really think someone in their early 20's can's summon $7k? My record so far with eBay cars: 0-2. The first one blew coolant all over the engine bay when I stepped on the gas, and now this one.

It's not actually that beat up...the scratches are very minor, there's a touch of rust (not yet through the paint, of course) under the front doors. No dents and all the panels look original. Windshield's cracked and the rearview mirror is dangling from the wires - looks like a botched replacement. Jerk probably tried to do it himself. Driver's seat was a little worn, but everything else worked great and looked wonderful. Still, no mechanic, no car.

When I asked about the Nikasil, he said, "I had a '98 540 with 200k miles with the same engine as this, and that didn't have any problems..."

Always nice to buy from an enthusiast. :)

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
I remeber my youth and being shunned by impatient salesmen. I wouldnt buy whatever I looked at but would go into the office and mention the salesman that didnt have any interest in me when I was looking at a particular car, then say he was ultimatly rude...pull a fat wad of cash out of my pocket and tell them I will go where I can be more appreciated.

They would run after me when I did that...youth sucked in that aspect but I'd be willing to give it a go again!

onewhippedpuppy
10-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Missing the front brake ducts too. Scary......

integrale
10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I wouldnt buy whatever I looked at but would go into the office and mention the salesman that didnt have any interest in me when I was looking at a particular car, then say he was ultimatly rude...pull a fat wad of cash out of my pocket and tell them I will go where I can be more appreciated.

HAHA, I think I'll try that. Think $1k in 20's would do the trick? Maybe I need a money clip too.

It doesn't help that I roll up in a 12 year old station wagon...

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 07:53 PM
nope just a wad of organized cash works, I still get crap from people cause I dont dress in a suit and tie...same scenereo applies even at my elderly age.

it's my birthday...it's my birthday and we dont give a fu__ it's not your birthday...lol

HAHA, I think I'll try that. Think $1k in 20's would do the trick? Maybe I need a money clip too.

It doesn't help that I roll up in a 12 year old station wagon...

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 07:54 PM
nope just a wad of organized cash works, I still get crap from people cause I dont dress in a suit and tie...same scenereo applies even at my elderly age.

it's my birthday...it's my birthday and we dont give a fu__ it's not your birthday...lol

I go to the local Bimmer dealer and do you think anyone even comes to talk to me?? HAHA...enough in my pocket to pay their wages for a couple weeks....*******s.

SRR2
10-04-2005, 08:01 PM
About the high idle... According to the E39 Bentley, idle speed is varied depending on several factors, two of which are state of battery charge and current load. Dunno when that feature was implemented 'tho, on which engines, or whether it was around as early as the late E34s. I've seen my 540 idle at 900 for short periods of time, so there's no doubt that the feature does work and might explain the tach reading.

SRR2
10-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Ah, didn't know when it was introduced, thanks! Actually, I don't think I'd like the color on a car as large as a 5'er. Might be a bit much to take. On the Z3 it was very nice.

GAM
10-04-2005, 08:51 PM
When I was in my 20's I went in to buy a new Mazda RX-3. The salesmen just blew me off. Then when I went back to get in my 1 year old Datsun 240Z (back when the new ones were selling for 2 to 3 times over list) they came running after me. It was my turn to blow them off. I kept going right over to the Toyota dealer down the street. Needless to say that's who got my business.

It was a circus. The guy was nuts. He was impatient the whole time once he saw how young I am. Does he really think someone in their early 20's can's summon $7k? My record so far with eBay cars: 0-2. The first one blew coolant all over the engine bay when I stepped on the gas, and now this one.

It's not actually that beat up...the scratches are very minor, there's a touch of rust (not yet through the paint, of course) under the front doors. No dents and all the panels look original. Windshield's cracked and the rearview mirror is dangling from the wires - looks like a botched replacement. Jerk probably tried to do it himself. Driver's seat was a little worn, but everything else worked great and looked wonderful. Still, no mechanic, no car.

When I asked about the Nikasil, he said, "I had a '98 540 with 200k miles with the same engine as this, and that didn't have any problems..."

Always nice to buy from an enthusiast. :)

SharkmanBMW
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
I went and looked at a Forerunner in 1994... I was 24, and the salesman took 15 minutes to get off his ass, I had to ask twice. He told me I could not take a test ride until we had some sort of credit details.... blowing me off totally, he wouldn't even sit and give me an exact price.
10 minutes later, I went to Nissan down the street and bought a loaded pathfinder instead, **** toyota!
the Nissan salesman was my age and took a chance that I may buy, he got lucky!

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Allways show them the pocket full of loot even if its 50 ones covered with a hundred... leaves them something to think about when they go to bed.

Had a neighbor...worth over 3 mil, dressed in a tee and torn up jeans...didnt get respect either. Was funny, we would go around messing with dealers not giving us the time of day cause how we looked. Not trashy just not in a suit or tie.

did we hijack this thread? what was this about anyways ? Ill have to check it out again.

I went and looked at a Forerunner in 1994... I was 24, and the salesman took 15 minutes to get off his ass, I had to ask twice. He told me I could not take a test ride until we had some sort of credit details.... blowing me off totally, he wouldn't even sit and give me an exact price.
10 minutes later, I went to Nissan down the street and bought a loaded pathfinder instead, **** toyota!
the Nissan salesman was my age and took a chance that I may buy, he got lucky!

integrale
10-04-2005, 09:14 PM
My biggest coup was driving an E39 M5 at a big local BMW dealership. I called in advance and said, "Now, I just came from another dealer who gave me a lot of trouble about being 20 and they wouldn't let me drive the car...we're not going to have any problems like that, are we?"

When I got there, I was helped immdeiately and introduced to their "young gearhead" salesman who handed me the keys. It helped that I drove up in a new A4, but still...no suit, and I certainly don't dress like I've got money.

I've also done the "drive a Ford/GM/Saab/Volvo, get $50 from American Express" thing a few times. Got to drive both an '05 Mustang GT and an '02 Saleen. Powerful, but utter crap in every other way. I felt so foolish driving them.

Unfortunately, after this experience, I might be putting less energy into finding an E34. Every BMW I've driven has either been a wreck, overpriced, or being sold by a scumbag.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Persistance pays off in our market, it's basicly a luck of the draw too. I have had mine a 2.5 years or so and havent had to manditorily replace anything broken but have done all the replacement items as required in the maintenance services.

I still think the cost of an E34 in great condition with no required work for 1 year is 10k. Mileage doesnt matter but maintenance does.

My biggest coup was driving an E39 M5 at a big local BMW dealership. I called in advance and said, "Now, I just came from another dealer who gave me a lot of trouble about being 20 and they wouldn't let me drive the car...we're not going to have any problems like that, are we?"

When I got there, I was helped immdeiately and introduced to their "young gearhead" salesman who handed me the keys. It helped that I drove up in a new A4, but still...no suit, and I certainly don't dress like I've got money.

I've also done the "drive a Ford/GM/Saab/Volvo, get $50 from American Express" thing a few times. Got to drive both an '05 Mustang GT and an '02 Saleen. Powerful, but utter crap in every other way. I felt so foolish driving them.

Unfortunately, after this experience, I might be putting less energy into finding an E34. Every BMW I've driven has either been a wreck, overpriced, or being sold by a scumbag.

integrale
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
You know, I don't think I even know what a good E34 feels like. I drove a $10k '95 525 that felt great, but it had electrical problems, and it was $10k. I constantly feel like I'm going to break it, do something wrong. They seem fragile to me, but I'm sure it's just my imagination.

onewhippedpuppy
10-05-2005, 04:49 AM
If you want perspective on rich people, truly rich ones, not the guy who had to lease his new 7 series because he doesn't have the cash, and owes $900,000 on his million dollar house, read The Millionare Next Door. Great book, really helps to drive home the fact that the really rich ones shop at Penney's, and drive paid for used cars. It's written from surveys done of people with a net worth of over a million, and it's a worthwhile read just to learn from their habits of lifestyle and investment.

I used to manage a lumberyard in central KS, and as I was ringing up a customer for something, I happened to look down as he was writing his check in his check register. His balance was over $400k! That was just his checkbook. The owner told me that not only do they own a lot of farmland, but they have something like 75 producing oil wells on their property, and that $400k was nothing to him. Dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, driving a year or two old Ford truck.

DanDombrowski
10-05-2005, 05:17 AM
When I was in the first few weeks of my job (and saw my first real paycheck), I went to go test drive an Infiniti G35. Called ahead of time, made an appointment. The guy wanted me to try to do donuts in the car with the VSC on to show how stable it was. Wouldn't let me off the lot, wanted me to drive different ones. I passed.

A week later, my mom got an offer to go test drive a Buick for a quick giftcard or some crap like that. I went next door to the inifiniti dealer (different one) and asked to drive a G35 (more for something to do, I already decided I didn't want the car). They said they "Don't let people test drive the 6 speed manuals." You win some, you lose some.

I have to say in their defense that I'm 22 but look like I'm 17. I can't imagine they get many people my age with the cash to spend on a car like that, but I can bet that they get kids that just want to drive them. To me it makes no difference how the salesman acts, if I really wanted to drive the car I could just ask to talk to the manager and I'm sure it would happen. But it was just for fun, and he called my bluff.

I went into Braman the other day to test drive a 330i convertible (write up on that to come soon), in board shorts and a T shirt with my surfboard in the car (we were on our way to the beach). Guy came right out to me and said I could drive anything, didn't have a problem.

They're the ones that see who comes in to play and who comes in to buy, if I were them I'd probably treat me the same way too.

integrale
10-05-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm from a place where the average house price is >$750,000 and the per-household income is ~$150k, and almost no one drives fancy cars - lots of Subarus, and the showy folks drive Volvos. Everyone's a professional who worked for their money, and they're more concerned about building their kids' college funds than showing off to their country club friends. I'm literally surrounded by millionaires, but you'd never know it driving around my neighborhood.

When I went to my bank to get my credit limit raised on my credit card so I could build a better credit history, they told me I could be approved for a $57,000 auto loan. I have no idea where they got that number. They probably thought they could prey on my parents through me, even though the loan wouldn't have been cosigned.

I plan on living as debt-free as possible, and if that means waiting 5 years to get a Bimmer and not getting respect from some car dealers, so be it. As Bill Gates (in the Simpsons) says, "I didn't get rich writing a bunch of checks."

integrale
10-05-2005, 11:40 AM
AAH! My 535i 5-spd is back for sale! I had an appt to look at it last week but it "sold." Awesome. I hope this ends my quest, and that the other buyer didn't pull out because it's a lemon.

sonar5
10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
hehhehe....

Yeah, quite a few Dealers don't like informed buyers, they prefer to deal with morons so they feel comfortable with people like themselves.

Bemer, what an Idiot..

Anyway, good luck with it.

Regards,
Joe

infinity5
10-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I went to the VW dealership in tampa yesterday to test drive a golf and they ignored me. so i walked over to the co-owned BMW dealer and mentioned what happened and the service manger called the manager at the VW dealer and had them get someone to show me cars when i walked back.

anyway, maybe it was the situation, but golf's suck. The interior was worse than anyhting japanese. the seats hurt my back too.

Black 535i
10-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Or is it just an optical illusion? Who looks at these cars seriously before they put them up for sale? I would walk away from this dealer myself.

dacoyote
10-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Or is it just an optical illusion? Who looks at these cars seriously before they put them up for sale? I would walk away from this dealer myself.

I would assume you are talking about pictures 3 and 4 in the set. They are on the right way, they aren't very good pictures at all.

In 3 you can see the turn indicator

-Charles

integrale
10-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok, I've got another one for you to pick apart, only this one I'm actually considering. What can you make out in the pictures? There aren't many and they aren't great resolution, but maybe there's something there. If it's good, please don't try to steal it!

Here's the ad:

This is a great car! Very well maintained E34 535i with low mileage, 114k. These are getting hard to find! Black exterior / tan leather, 5-speed, loaded, cold AC, power sunroof, Nakamichi 6-disc changer. Regular dealer service and expertly maintained. New Michelin summer tires and new mounted Michelin snow tires included. This is a safe, well built, and fun car to drive. Gets 26MPG highway and averages 22MPG! Come take it for a test drive. Asking the Kelly Blue Book Private Party Value in Good condition - $5,545. FYI, retail is $7,685.

infinity5
10-05-2005, 02:45 PM
The car looks good, intergale. I'm going to be jealous if you get it! Ask for a shot of the engine and maybe some information on what work has been performed. Does he mention maintance records? I've come to realize nearly any car looks good if the photos are normal quality and sized down to fit a computer screen. that thing could have 15,000 door dings and you'd never tell from any number of these photos.

SharkmanBMW
10-05-2005, 03:26 PM
check out the service records well, see what has and has not been done...
try to see why the other buyer walked... could be serious and you may miss it!
Nice to get all new tires too... good luck!

integrale
10-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm taking it to a good mechanic nearby for a $145 (!) pre-purchase inspection. For that kind of money, it better be good, and I think it will be; they're pretty serious BMW people.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Looks pretty good...

Make sure you check what the guibo looks like.

rockyfeller
10-05-2005, 09:26 PM
not all 95s have em. all 94s do

rockyfeller
10-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like my neighborhood....That' s CT life.