PDA

View Full Version : Tire swapping. How much?

scott540
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I want four snow tires taken off of steel wheels and put on my old basket weaves. Anybody know about how much I should expect to pay for this? $15-20 per wheel? Anybody want a set of steel wheels for the winter?

MBXB
10-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Switch and balance cost about $65 last time.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Big O can do it for 60 and trash 3 of your new rims for free! Of course it didnt happen and the deep gouges and bent rim came like that from the factory.

Thanks to manager Chris at Big O on Dixie in Waterford Michigan!

My friends (http://www.bigotires.com/)

Very pleased with them and think I'll use em again too!

Before that pleasurable experience I used Discount tires in Auburn Hills Michigan with equally great results.

uscharalph
10-04-2005, 05:16 PM
I want four snow tires taken off of steel wheels and put on my old basket weaves. Anybody know about how much I should expect to pay for this? $15-20 per wheel? Anybody want a set of steel wheels for the winter?
I paid $15 per tire for mounting and balancing, locally her in WLA.

Kalevera
10-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Back before I had the opportunity to do it myself, I paid $10/tire for mounting and balancing for two of my Style 5s - Cornelius/NC. Another place charged me $25 to remove the tires from four 16" E38 basketweaves (nothing else) - Cleveland/OH. Another place charged me $7/tire to balance my other two style 5s Mooresville/NC.

So, it's all over the map. I think it pays to find a place with a roadforce balancer and use them.

best, whit

SharkmanBMW
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I think it's important to find a place with the best equipment that is made for todays wheels (big, alloy, delicate)
reputable shops have them, but for baskets, and winters it is less important.

Chris'91'525i
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
So, it's all over the map. I think it pays to find a place with a roadforce balancer and use them.
best, whit

Check tirerack.com's tire service locater. They list their approved shops. Most of them list what they charge. And they vary widely.
I was suprised at some of the shop listed prices in my area.
Some very good deals, from the independent shops.

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

HTH
Chris

Guapo
10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Check tirerack.com's tire service locater. They list their approved shops. Most of them list what they charge. And they vary widely.

HTH
Chris

A funny story about their recommended installers. A few years ago, I brought in some tires I bought from Tire Rack for my 300ZX to have them install. When there, I reminded them to be sure to torque the lugs to 80 ft lbs. The tech went to talk to the manager for a second, who came back to inform me that the guy with the torque wrench wasn't there today.

My jaw just about hit the floor. I watched them like a hawk and took the car right home to torque the wheels to proper specs.

Needless to say I've never been back, and have since cautioned others about using their "recommended" installers.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 09:09 PM
this is exactly the crap I end up finding even after recommendations and high marks.

A funny story about their recommended installers. A few years ago, I brought in some tires I bought from Tire Rack for my 300ZX to have them install. When there, I reminded them to be sure to torque the lugs to 80 ft lbs. The tech went to talk to the manager for a second, who came back to inform me that the guy with the torque wrench wasn't there today.

My jaw just about hit the floor. I watched them like a hawk and took the car right home to torque the wheels to proper specs.

Needless to say I've never been back, and have since cautioned others about using their "recommended" installers.

Chris'91'525i
10-04-2005, 09:28 PM

Sounds like a case of bad luck on your part (sorry bad pun). Probably 1 in a 1000 happening.
It probably would have been good to say "please step away from the car" and tightened my own lug nuts by hand, and clear out quickly.
I'll usually request that an impact gun not even touch the lugnuts on my car.
I only use an impact to run them off after loosening them by hand first, and vice versa running them on.

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
bad luck at Discount was 14 hours on my part, 2 sets of out of round tires and 16 visits figuring they would get tired of seeing me come back and actually resolve the tire issue. Roadforce balance will not cure an out of round tire. I grabbed 4 $60,00 snow tires, had them mounted and wham...all vibration problems went away...magic. Bad luck i guess.

Sounds like a case of bad luck on your part (sorry bad pun). Probably 1 in a 1000 happening.
It probably would have been good to say "please step away from the car" and tightened my own lug nuts by hand, and clear out quickly.
I'll usually request that an impact gun not even touch the lugnuts on my car.
I only use an impact to run them off after loosening them by hand first, and vice versa running them on.

scott540
10-05-2005, 05:27 AM

HTH
Chris

Thanks Chris, I forgot about that. I'll make sure I just don't use the last recommeded installer. gouged one of my Rondells.

TheDuke
10-05-2005, 12:34 PM
$20 for putting them on ,balancing, and rotation at sears. Just come in 20 mins before closing, they will charge you under the table:)Since they too lazy to open the cash register after they close it.

SRR2
10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Did you leave feedback at TireRack on the "rate the installer" function?

I think TireRack is semi-serious about their recommended installers. The indy I use for inspections etc. runs a good shop and applied to them a couple of years ago. The stuff that TireRack wanted to qualify them was pretty impressive. Of course, someone unscrupulous could BS their way into it, but eventually bad feedback would hopefully catch up to them.

scott540
10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
No I didn't. I did realize I could or I maybe just forgot. I'm just dreading having to haul in the old baskets weaves and the snow tires on the steel wheels. Getting eight wheels in and out of my van is going to suck!