PDA

View Full Version : What transmission do I have?

olsan100
10-04-2005, 07:47 AM
I have a 1992 525i Automatic. What trasmission do I have?

The reason I ask is because my car is in the shop right now and I might have to have a rebuild. OR, could I just order one rebuilt from some place? I noticed lots of mention of Kirt at Autosports Unlimited. He just does ZF trannys.

So, if I have the GM tranny, could a ZF be put in?

Sorry, I'm really clueless about this. I was hoping not to avoid major trouble for a least a year. But, it's only been a month. Crud.

Mendozart
10-04-2005, 08:07 AM

The reason I ask is because my car is in the shop right now and I might have to have a rebuild. OR, could I just order one rebuilt from some place? I noticed lots of mention of Kirt at Autosports Unlimited. He just does ZF trannys.

Sorry, I'm really clueless about this. I was hoping not to avoid major trouble for a least a year. But, it's only been a month. Crud.
You've got the GM tranny. I think it's model 4L30e. I don't think you can drop the ZF in.

dacoyote
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM

That Car has a M50.. making it a A4S 310R... also called a GM 4L30E.

Not sure on the swap, I think the housing is diff, but some that knows more then I do will be by soon enough.

-Charles

dacoyote
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM
You've got the GM tranny. I think it's model 4L30e. I don't think you can drop the ZF in.

Got me by a minute.....

olsan100
10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
So, my options are basically to have the local guy rebuild it, or find a used one? Can I get a remanufactured one from the dealer?

granit_silber
10-04-2005, 10:22 AM
I don't know where you're located but try Korman.

http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/

-ashley

Qsilver7
10-04-2005, 01:05 PM
enter the last 7 digits of your car's VIN at this site and you'll get a lot of info about your BMW (like which tranny etc is installed): http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Bimmerman
10-05-2005, 04:20 AM
My (1992) 525 has the ZF 5 speed auto tranny, whereas most on here seem to be 4 speeds, was the five speed available in the states? or euro spec only?