PDA

View Full Version : Sears tool sale Oct 2 - Oct 8 (Saturday)

Gayle
10-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Remember the Newbie Tool Thread?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13855&page=1&pp=10

I synthesized Bill R's detailed recommendations, printed it out, went to Sears, and stood in front of the choices a very long time. The sales guys left me alone, which was good. All of the sets on sale have what Bill recommends to varying degrees. There are more sets than these, but these were the ones on sale. Anyway, wanted to share what I figured out about the various options so someone else doesn't have to spend so much time figuring it out.

Here are the five choices (no guarantees on the accuracy of my scribbles):
263 pieces, $199 (normally $269): 56 1/4 inch, 77 3/8 inch, 25 1/2 inch, 105 specialty.

190 pieces $159 (normally $179): 39 1/4 inch, 60 3/8 inch, 13 1/2 inch, 78 specialty.

155 pieces $99 (normally $149) sorry, didn't write the details down

117 pieces $79 (normally $99): 31 1/4 inch, 38 3/8 inch, 8 1/2 inch, 40 specialty.

83 pieces $49 (normally $69): 19 1/4 inch, 26 3/8 inch, 38 specialty.

My synthesis of Bills recommendations is (and Bill and everyone else correct me where I am wrong)

12 point sockets are bad, 6 point sockets are good. (All have both, but the 190 piece, $159 set seemed to have the fewest 12 points as a %. The 263 piece, $199 set had all 12 point in the 1/2 inch size).

In 3/8 and 1/4, regular depth, deep depth, and mid depth are desirable. (These sets have regular and deep, but not mid unless I am mistaken).

Extensions are good. (I think most if not all had them).

Regular and metric are good (I think all had had both).

On the 1/2 inch Bill prefers a brand other than Craftsman. He prefers other brands for screwdrivers, wrenches, and flare wrenches. (These sets have one magnetic handle and a bunch of screw and nut driver tips. No flare wrenches. The biggest set has 10 combination wrenches and 12 metric combination wrenches and the next one had some lesser number.)

I narrowed my selection down to the two largest sets. The larger set had more sizes but the additional ones were smaller than Bill recommended, so that may not be any advantage. The 263 piece had 20 ignition wrenches that the next size didn't. As previously mentioned the 263 had all 12 point in the 1/2 size (bad), while the 190 had 6 point in the 1/2 size (good). The 263 piece set had a 4 drawer chest and all the others had suitcase like carrying cases.

I made a chick choice. The 4 drawer chest seemed friendlier. The black suitcase intimidated me. It seemed like the tools would get disorganzied more easily in the suitcase. I had visions of them all falling out or me getting confused about what was what. I figure I will need all the warm, fuzzy vibes from the tools I can get so I got the 263 piece. Rationalized the 1/2 inch 12 point problem by telling myself Bill doesn't like the Craftman 1/2 anyway. I am kind of stoked about the idea of going to Costco shopping for screwdrivers.

Now that I have tools, I might actually have to work on the car now.

Here are the links from Sears:

263 piece, $199

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933263000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

190 piece, $159

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00936190000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

155 piece, $99

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00935155000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

117 piece, $79
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00934117000&bidsite=CRAFT

83 piece, $49

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00934083000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

Happy tool shopping.

632 Regal
10-02-2005, 07:16 PM
so wheres the link to what YOU chose?

Gayle
10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
The one with the pretty tool chest :p

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0108556674.1128307080@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddflfgfjdkcegecegjdghldghh.0&pid=00933263000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&vertical=TOOL

winfred
10-02-2005, 07:27 PM
craftsman is plenty good enough for home use, 12 point is not evil theres just less contact with the bolt, works fine for stuff that's not rusted all to hell, until 3-4 odd years ago all of my 1/2 was craftsman 12 point, then i got a killer deal on some snap on....

winfred
10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
i have been thinking about getting that one for the house

The one with the pretty tool chest :p

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0108556674.1128307080@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddflfgfjdkcegecegjdghldghh.0&pid=00933263000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&vertical=TOOL

Gayle
10-02-2005, 07:35 PM
i have been thinking about getting that one for the house

You are the one who kept telling me 200 tools for $200. I have just been waiting for Sears to cooperate.

They have all kinds of stuff--marine tools, aviation tools, motorcycle tools.

I have a girlfriend who bought a Harley a few months ago. Do you think this would be a good set for her?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933035000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

olsan100
10-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Wow! Thanks for that post Gayle. I was the newbie that started that tool thread, so it's much appreciated.

632 Regal
10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I agree with Winfreds analogy, I usually use 6 pt for common use because over the years I have grown accustomed to 12 points being evil gremlins that hate me. I have went through so many tools that I dont even have a straight run of anything in one brand. I have what works in that run and done, specialty tools and sizes are just that...specialty stuff. Non daily use but there when you need it or until I (or my kid) looses something. I dont work at a wrenchaholics garage so I dont need to sport brand new shiney crap to impress the boss but my crap works and its there when I need it...isnt that an allstate commercial?

liquidtiger720
10-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I need some screwdrivers.

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:03 PM
it depends on what she wants to do to the bike, that looks like a oh **** kit to be carried for just incase on the road, it's probably enough to do mantaince but would fall short when theres real work to be done

I have a girlfriend who bought a Harley a few months ago. Do you think this would be a good set for her?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00933035000&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
kline is pretty good, sears, lowes and home depot sell them usually around electrical, been using kline screw drivers for years and have not worn one out yet, their pliers are damn good too

Chris'91'525i
They are just two different tools. 6 point for high torque and or unobstructed swing. 12 for low torque and where swing is limited.
12 Pt. are also good to have for 12 Pt. bolts you see sometimes and for square fasteners, though 8 point sockets are better for those.
12 point sockets are indispensable in some industries like aerospace for instance. Where there is tight compact spaces to work in.
I am glad I have my 12 point sockets in addition to the 6 Pt.. It is interesting to note , my ¾" drive Craftsman sockets set that goes up to 2½" in size, are 12 Pt.

You should also think of getting fine geared ratchets over the course geared ones ,also great for tight places.
The newer ratcheting combination wrenches are great to have too.

Rigmaster
You are the one who kept telling me 200 tools for $200. I have just been waiting for Sears to cooperate.

They have all kinds of stuff--marine tools, aviation tools, motorcycle tools.

A Harley??

This would be more practical:
http://www.oildri.com/indusauto/images/i02015.gif

:p :p

Looks like a good move on the tool purchase- you should have enough to do almost anything that needs to be done to an E34.......

Bret.

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:07 PM
i thought about suggesting that :D

A Harley??

This would be more practical:
http://www.oildri.com/indusauto/images/i02015.gif

:p :p

Looks like a good move on the tool purchase- you should have enough to do almost anything that needs to be done to an E34.......

Bret.

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:10 PM
ditto, i beat the hell out of my gear wrench brand wrenches and over the years killed 3 or 4 and all have been swapped out free, definatly a good deal

They are just two different tools. 6 point for high torque and or unobstructed swing. 12 for low torque and where swing is limited.
12 Pt. are also good to have for 12 Pt. bolts you see sometimes and for square fasteners, though 8 point sockets are better for those.
12 point sockets are indispensable in some industries like aerospace for instance. Where there is tight compact spaces to work in.
I am glad I have my 12 point sockets in addition to the 6 Pt.. It is interesting to note , my ¾" drive Craftsman sockets set that goes up to 2½" in size, are 12 Pt.

You should also think of getting fine geared ratchets over the course geared ones ,also great for tight places.

Gayle
10-02-2005, 09:10 PM

Here is what our man Bill R says about screwdrivers:

"Sears has a new line of pro screwdrivers that are much better than the standard craftsmen.... or strangely enough the stanley set with the black plastic/rubber handles that costco sometimes has is a very good set for the price."

You might search Sears website to price them. Costco is the $200 club. No matter how cheap the item you went there for is, you can't get out without spending $200 on crap you didn't intend to buy, so Sears is probably cheaper from that point of view.

liquidtiger720
10-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Ohhh, I should look at sears. :) They always have some cool stuff. I can get out of there buying less than 10 bucks...but, the lines are always long. --- How about magnetic screwdrivers?

Electric screw drivers are cool too. I bought a craftsmen one, and it works great- made things like taking apart headlights go by just a little faster. But, it's not so great beyond that.

Lasty. I need a jack and some stands. Its too much trouble getting up on ramps now.

Jeff N.
10-02-2005, 09:19 PM
They are nice. Except you are always seaching for them with the all black handles. They need some color.

"Sears has a new line of pro screwdrivers that are much better than the standard craftsmen.... or strangely enough the stanley set with the black plastic/rubber handles that costco sometimes has is a very good set for the price."

You might search Sears website to price them. Costco is the $200 club. No matter how cheap the item you went there for is, you can't get out without spending $200 on crap you didn't intend to buy, so Sears is probably cheaper from that point of view.

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:19 PM
i haven't been able to bring myself to buy another sears screwdriver, got tired of wearing the tips off of them (wearing not breaking) the new pro line looks like better steel but ill probably never know, i have some of the older pro's with the all black handles and they sucked less then the regular line but they are still regulated to back up, nothing ****s up a screw head faster then a crappy screwdriver be it worn out or a badly shaped tip

bahnstormer
10-02-2005, 09:43 PM
12pt
is that with lots of little points inside?
i think i used an 11mm 12 point today to take the torx bolt off the seats..
i like 12pt =]

winfred
10-02-2005, 09:57 PM
you can use a 6 point wrench or socket quite effectively on the inverted torx, 8 10 and 11mm are the common bmw sizes, 12'll do but theres not much contact

12pt
is that with lots of little points inside?
i think i used an 11mm 12 point today to take the torx bolt off the seats..
i like 12pt =]

uscharalph
10-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks Gayle.

Gayle
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM

Josh

Went to Costco today in search of Stanley screwdrivers....

No Stanley screwdrivers. Was attacked by the Impulse Buying Monster before I could get out.

Came home with

a set of 9 needle nose long neck (5 are 11 inch) pliers, nippers, and cutters for $19 with ergonomically design comfort double injected handles.

and a $19 set of 217 pieces rotary tool accessory set for the dremel I don't even own (yet).

Hubby looked at the pliers and said "well you could use them as tweezers..."

At least I got out for $40 instead of $200. If I hadn't been on my lunch hour it could have been much worse.

dacoyote
10-04-2005, 08:13 PM
and a $19 set of 217 pieces rotary tool accessory set for the dremel I don't even own (yet)......

Dremel... Dremel..... /me wipes drool of his chin... I need to get pick that up....

-Charles

Gayle
10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Dremel... Dremel..... /me wipes drool of his chin... I need to get pick that up....

-Charles

Yeah, I thought of you when I bought it.

SRR2
10-04-2005, 08:41 PM
If you guys are determined to buy stuff from Sears, you should look into their Hardware Club or whatever the hell they call it. You get a flyer every so often with deals that are better, sometimes substantially so, than offered to the Hoi Polloi. I bought a couple of rolling tool chests last spring and saved something like $50 on a $450 purchase, just for having the stupid card.

Now if I could only figure out where to buy those 16mm and 18mm six point sockets....

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
get an electric die grinder deal, the ones that use air use a lot of air, if your not in a garage with open fuel it will be good (I dont understand why its better since cutting anything causes sparks)

sweet deal on the million sets of pliers, should last most a lifetime.

The dremmel crap can be used wit the die grinder with an adaptive collar to use the small shafts of the dremmel bits.

Gayle
10-04-2005, 09:00 PM
If you guys are determined to buy stuff from Sears, you should look into their Hardware Club or whatever the hell they call it. You get a flyer every so often with deals that are better, sometimes substantially so, than offered to the Hoi Polloi. I bought a couple of rolling tool chests last spring and saved something like $50 on a $450 purchase, just for having the stupid card.

Now if I could only figure out where to buy those 16mm and 18mm six point sockets....

Ok. Never heard of it. Checked it out. Its Ace Hardware. Look what Ace has on their website for Stanley Screwdrivers. I want a set that has a gazillion sizes whether I need it or not. A set of 10 just doesn't cut it.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290091&cp=&page=1&keywords=stanley+screwdrivers&searchId=10433527674&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=search

winfred
10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
i carryed one of those cards for years didn't get squat off for it and got tired of asking about any discount for the club, tossed it

If you guys are determined to buy stuff from Sears, you should look into their Hardware Club or whatever the hell they call it

632 Regal
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
tossed it

Like a salad?

Bill R.
10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
12 point socket in 3/8 are just about useless, and the number of points makes absolutely no difference in the swing, its the number of teeth on the ratchet that affects that. The last time i checked this wasn't aerospace work on these cars...so the grade 8 twelve point socket head bolts aren't used much, But I have had at least 30 snap on 12 point sockets replaced because they split under normal not impact use and i haven't had any 6 points replace due to splitting, as far as the larger 3/4 drive sockets being 12 point, if you look at them you'll notice that the wall thickness on these 3/4 drives is much greater in relation to size as compared to the 3/8 sockets.

Bill R.
10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
soft, the tips and blades seem to be much better toohttp://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/47194/00947194000-190.jpg

They are nice. Except you are always seaching for them with the all black handles. They need some color.

liquidtiger720
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
So, I went to sears today and bought the cheapest of the cheap screwdrivers...set of 18 various sizes....for 22 bucks. The kline was was like, 12 total...in not to many different lenghts and sizes for 40 bucks. I can't justify that kind of money on tools that I use maybe, every other week.

liquidtiger720
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Josh

Went to Costco today in search of Stanley screwdrivers....

No Stanley screwdrivers. Was attacked by the Impulse Buying Monster before I could get out.

Came home with

a set of 9 needle nose long neck (5 are 11 inch) pliers, nippers, and cutters for $19 with ergonomically design comfort double injected handles.

and a $19 set of 217 pieces rotary tool accessory set for the dremel I don't even own (yet).

Hubby looked at the pliers and said "well you could use them as tweezers..."

At least I got out for $40 instead of $200. If I hadn't been on my lunch hour it could have been much worse.

OMG...I need that dremel kit! My aunt actually bought me a dremel for my bday...I thought she knew I was kidding, but it gets used for sure!

For the sears club...its actually the craftsman tool club. call err- ill find the number, I need to join too.

winfred
10-04-2005, 09:49 PM
in the trash after a wallet crap culling

Like a salad?