PDA

View Full Version : Can Pentosin get "burnt?"

Phil in Vancouver
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Had my power steering cut out again after several months of being OK. Last time the problem was a dirty filter in the bottom of the p/s fluid reservoir. That fluid was pretty grungy, so when I changed the reservoir, which includes an integral filter, the problem was solved.

Recently I had the same cutout problem. I thought that maybe because the old old fluid was so dirty, when I changed the reservoir and fluid there was some residual dirty fluid that had gummed up the new filter. So today I changed the reservoir, added new fluid, and cracked open the old reservoir expecting to see a clogged filter.

Well, the new filter at the bottom of the can is a fabric mesh, not like the old kind. And it was perfectly clean. But there's no more p/s cutout.

Was something wrong with the old fluid? Does it get "burnt" or something to lose its viscosity over time? Do we need to change the fluid regularly? And is there a way to drain all the fluid out of the system, instead of using a turkey baster in the reservoir?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Phil
94 530i 5spd no self-levelling, no ASC+T. "Bottle" type reservoir without replaceable filter.