PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to install air horns?

BigKriss
10-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I have two with a small compressor, i'm thinking the two air horns on either side of the air box. Apart from this idea, I don't know where else to place them. What have the members here come up with?

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8155/pict0035small5zc.jpg

uscharalph
10-01-2005, 09:04 PM
I've allways though that the BMW's horn was plenty loud.

liquidtiger720
10-01-2005, 09:14 PM

mine must be broken. i wouldnt mind some high pitched air horns to compliment the oem ones. hehehe.

pyro
10-01-2005, 09:21 PM
mount them in the front grill that would be SICK or in the foglight grills

BigKriss
10-01-2005, 09:23 PM
in the front grill. I never thought of that thanks.

BigKriss
10-01-2005, 11:41 PM
I connected like the picture below using the stock horn connector on the right side. I've tried one air-horn so far and it sounds quiet :( It does work now just too quiet.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1839/pict0042small0fl.jpg

liquidtiger720
10-02-2005, 12:45 AM
I wanna hear Jon's ferrari horns

Paul in NZ
10-02-2005, 01:39 AM
in my motoor cycle days i used to mount air horns...the existing bmw horns are behind the grill there is probably room for the compressor.I used to always use a relay with the existing horn circuit to open and close it with a wire and fusse from the battery or in our case the battery post under the bonnet.My car has the loudest horn of any car i have had

E34-520iSE
10-02-2005, 02:38 AM
Gotta agree with Ralph here, best place to install air horns is in someone else's car. (only joking!). Either that, or fit a big truck horn, 175dB - that'll do nicely!!!

Cheers,

Shaun

Tiger
10-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Relay is required.

Tiger
10-02-2005, 05:10 AM
No real place to put in truck horn. My horn is super wimpy... must be broken. Only real place to truck horn is under the trunk area but doing so will be like a big rig right on tail and you freak yourself out! LOL

tnt525i
10-02-2005, 07:18 AM
mine must be broken. i wouldnt mind some high pitched air horns to compliment the oem ones. hehehe.
i read somewhere you can change the tone of the horns on the obc by switching between dual tone and single tone, have you tried that?

bahnstormer
10-02-2005, 07:55 AM
i had these on my saturn and i hated the high pitched sound they made...sounded super weak...jon k has something similiar in that he bought ferrari horns but to my ears they sound too high and squeeky....

i'd like to have some truck horns...that'd be fun

E34-520iSE
10-02-2005, 08:10 AM
It could go sideways across the front of the car, just below/in front of the rad. Of course, no one here would be juvenile enough to blast the hooter at the local drive through and shatter the windows!

Cheers,

Shaun

Eric Clark
10-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Where should I install my uga horn? The biggest problem I have is finding a place to mount a switch tastefully on the inside. I want to keep it seperate from my regular horn.

liquidtiger720
10-02-2005, 10:25 AM
i read somewhere you can change the tone of the horns on the obc by switching between dual tone and single tone, have you tried that?
I have actually...and I can't hear the difference.

632 Regal
10-02-2005, 10:42 AM
I wonder if somethings wrong with one or both of yours, mine are loud! Dont want to blow them inside a closed garage with the windows open for sure.

I have actually...and I can't hear the difference.

rockyfeller
10-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Used to have them Hella horns on my old car and I really miss them compared to the "Roots" style horns we got. I prefer that old sound, it's different. I don't know how loud they are compared to the uga ones but my old ones were SUPER loud! (I am a fan of Hella products) I could drive up next to anyone and scare the jeepers out of them! But I lived abroad where you NEED loud horns to drive you are beeping every 10 seconds and it's actually illegal if you DON'T use your horn LOL!! Ever heard of that??? In the US you don't need a loud horn except for novelty. (don't forget some consider these horns illegal)

As for mounting it is most convinient near the airbox on the passenger side in front of the wheelwell. They won't get wet and they should be quite audible having to penetrate through less layers...(In my old car they were mounted on the firewall and could be heard plenty!) You don't want them in a place that they will get direct water. Don't ask how I know. In the grill will make them sound the loudest of course but it will be a more complicated install (unless you like taking the front grill off) I would recommend facing them sideways for minimal water exposure (I don't know how else you'd have room anyways).

As for a switch you can put a subtle 3 position rocker switch right in that blank (reserved for rear fog-light I think) to the left of the front-fog-light switch. Or if you have traction control, there is a blank in that panel....If you've used those spots you can mount it on the left carpeted side of your console. Easily acessible though out of sight. I have a switch there and it looks and works great. Under the dash is difficult as there is a metal backing to the panel and harder to cut through, but it can be done. Don't forget as mentioned you need a relay to wire properly.

BigKriss
10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8757/pict0049small1tn.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/825/pict0045small9kz.jpg

I installed them on the left hand side and left the right horn there as stock. There are 2 red horns. I didn't wire up the relay, I just used the stock connection and modified, seen in the previous pick. It wasn't working last time becasue I had the positive and negative cables the wrong way :(

632 Regal
10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Kriss thats absolutly perfect! I cant believe you found the room to fit them tight in there! How bout pointing one each way? Are you keeping the stockers in addition to these air horns? I would.

BigKriss
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm keeping one stocker on the left hand side and removed the right one to fit the compressor and the two new horns. I didn't have to drill any holes either. I just used what was there. I used a cable tie on the top horn to keep it in place. Nothing is hitting the radiator fan.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2002/pict0058small3sc.jpg

its louder also

a poor pic

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9536/pict0051small9gc.jpg

Paul in NZ
10-03-2005, 01:34 AM
gonna paint em black b4 you put the grill back?

BigKriss
10-03-2005, 01:40 AM
no. they will stay red.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3203/pict0063small7pr.jpg

genphreak
10-03-2005, 08:43 AM
I have two with a small compressor, i'm thinking the two air horns on either side of the air box. Apart from this idea, I don't know where else to place them. What have the members here come up with?Mate, that rocks. I loved the old 3.0cs arrangement- (the horns have their own accoustic chambers behind the headlamps) but i think you've shown some serious resources there. Why get rid of one? Can you not have the airhorns+2 originals? That would be so damn loud... :D can't wait to hear em dude! :) Nick

Jon K
10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Mine are mounted horizontally in the front grill... and are painted black.