PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 525...

Dan in NZ
03-02-2004, 05:14 PM
The time has come. With what I've spent on this car in the 6 months I've owned it, and now a leaking heater core and power steering, as a 19y/o law student I just can't afford to keep it. I know whatever cheap reliable car I replace it with just won't be close to the drive I got in the e34. It's going to be an emotional parting, but all good things must come to an end, thanks for all your help guys.

Dan

Brian C.
03-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Come on Dan, hang in there! Although I absolutely do sympathise with how you feel. These cars are great, but they do nickle and dime you into dispare sometimes. Maybe you could get a cheepo daily driver to just get around in and work on the E34 until it's PERFECT! ;)

Anyway, I hope you the best, and visit us from time to time!
Brian C.

mikey535im
03-02-2004, 06:02 PM
The time has come. With what I've spent on this car in the 6 months I've owned it, and now a leaking heater core and power steering, as a 19y/o law student I just can't afford to keep it. I know whatever cheap reliable car I replace it with just won't be close to the drive I got in the e34. It's going to be an emotional parting, but all good things must come to an end, thanks for all your help guys.

Dan
Any fellow New Zealanders that are Mechanically inclinded to assist you with this heater core problem Dan? Although I haven't had the privelidge to have replaced my own , research indicates that the parts are not that pricey yet it's the labor that will drain finances quickly.It is labor intensive and with a co-worker it becomes more enjoyable and everybody learns.Hope all goes well for you and you reconsider keeping it. Don't think as much of how you will miss your E34 as how much your e34 will miss you!They do become part of the family don't they?
Mike ;)

ryan roopnarine
03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
got a list 2 typed pages long of what i hope to accomplish during spring break week and the week i get off before summer semester starts.....most is cosmetic, some other things like thrust arm bushings, which just broke, are more pressing. here is a HC replacement procedure, perhaps you can get the cheapest core you can and do the work yourself

http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm

i think that once i clear the list, stuff will stop breaking. im hoping to be able to reinstall the motor and replace hoses, or make sure enginewise everything's allright in-situ if i can't get the lift...methinks once the hose and core are fixed, it will at least be 4 or 5 months before something else breaks...something to think about if resale values in your area are low.

Scott E
03-02-2004, 08:50 PM

Dan

Dan in NZ
03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
I did the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, center tie rod, that other rod thing that goes from the center tie rod to the wheel, inspection II and brake fluid. Then I thought I'd be sweet for a while. Then the a/c went out just before summer so I had that redone, then I got a new battery to stop trans program. It went great for three months, now the power steering gearbox is leaking and so is the heater core, brake pads are thin, along with a mysterious rise in fuel consumption. I just don't need these problems. I'm flat broke and trying to get through law school with my credit rating intact.

Dan in NZ
03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm a student, I live on campus. All I need is a cheepo daily driver. When I graduate I'll buy another bmw, but until then I'll just live with something reliable and economical. I won't know myself in a car that doesn't go from 0-100 in 1 tank of gas ;)

632 Regal
03-02-2004, 11:46 PM
I understand the frustration and spent money and time...it sucks at the worst times. I got lucky with mine and havent spent over 1500 since June last year, thats including tires. Some people get lemons some get lemonaid, I paid 8250 for mine but it does have the Nikasil enhancement which according to everyone is not worth squat. If you do move on, come visit us once in a while.

Wish you the best in your career!

Jeff

jplacson
03-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Now you're scaring me!!! (I've owned my E34 for 3 months now, have spent US$600 on repairs... power steering & Insp 2) :o

Oh no... I can see my bank account going lower and lower... hahahaha... BMW estimated my suspension repairs to be another US$600 (bushings, tie rods, dampers, front shocks, steering coupling, and my secondary clutch)

I might end up living in my car!!!! HAHAHAHA!

Oh well... I hope I can survive this! hehehehe

632 Regal
03-02-2004, 11:57 PM
http://it.geocities.com/tutto_motori/images/yugo.jpg

:D

632 Regal
03-02-2004, 11:59 PM
or your full of $hit.

:|

jplacson
03-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Oh what? My suspension? Well, maybe for you guys over there earning in $... I know it's a pretty good deal... dealer and specialty shop labor here is a lot less than over there. I'm no big time exec, I'm a freelance graphic artist... so the price is still a bit high for me... BUT, I do know it's well worth it...I've always wanted a Bimmer since I was younger. This is one car I intend to keep for a long time, and I wanna take good care of it. I have surfed around, and I know I'm getting a good deal. BMW dealer quote was about $1200 for my suspension... specialty shop was the one that quoted me $600 (3 days) for parts and labor. It's a reputable shop... my E34 is technically the 'cheapest' car there. Most of the cars being serviced there are M3s, Z4s and some newer Benz E and C classes. It's a new shop that just opened about a year ago... really clean, and big.

I can even give you a break down of the parts (with P/N) and labor for installation if you don't believe me.

MBXB
03-05-2004, 03:44 AM
JP

What's the going labor rate in MNL?

Mon Neri
MBXB

Oh what? My suspension? Well, maybe for you guys over there earning in $... I know it's a pretty good deal... dealer and specialty shop labor here is a lot less than over there. I'm no big time exec, I'm a freelance graphic artist... so the price is still a bit high for me... BUT, I do know it's well worth it...I've always wanted a Bimmer since I was younger. This is one car I intend to keep for a long time, and I wanna take good care of it. I have surfed around, and I know I'm getting a good deal. BMW dealer quote was about $1200 for my suspension... specialty shop was the one that quoted me $600 (3 days) for parts and labor. It's a reputable shop... my E34 is technically the 'cheapest' car there. Most of the cars being serviced there are M3s, Z4s and some newer Benz E and C classes. It's a new shop that just opened about a year ago... really clean, and big.

I can even give you a break down of the parts (with P/N) and labor for installation if you don't believe me.

jplacson
03-05-2004, 07:33 AM
Well, it's quoted depending on what you're gonna have done... here's the list I have from BMW Philippines, vs. the specialty shop (EM) my car is in right now for my suspension:
*all prices converted to US$, all parts are OEM BMW parts
Front shocks:
-BMW Phil;parts $240/each, $55 labor for both shocks
-EM; parts $80/each, $47 labor for both shocks

Secondary Clutch:
-BMW Phil; parts $87, $20 labor
-EM; parts $35, $15 labor

That's just to give you guys a peg. I'm having the following done right now:
-Front shocks
-Front dampers
-Stab links
-thrust arm bushings
-secondary clutch
-tie rods
-prop coupling
-fuel hose
-muffler support
-valve cover gasket
-vent hose

Labor quote for all of that was about $210 in EM, BMW Phil labor charge was about $300-$350 for the tasks listed above.

TheGeak
03-05-2004, 09:08 AM
yeah, those red x's get KILLER mpg ;)