PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad life

dave b
10-01-2005, 05:19 PM
How long should I expect these to last on a manual tranny? I'm in LA freeway traffic and drive normally. I'm at 40k on my current set, and have about half of the current pads left. Rotors seem fine, with no shimmy during braking.

Thanks,
Dave
93 525i

uscharalph
10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
How long should I expect these to last on a manual tranny? I'm in LA freeway traffic and drive normally. I'm at 40k on my current set, and have about half of the current pads left. Rotors seem fine, with no shimmy during braking.

Thanks,
Dave
93 525i
What pads? Stock rotors? Do you downshift a lot to save the brakes?

Rory
10-02-2005, 08:03 AM

Thanks,
Dave
93 525i
Varies based on pad compound and use. If you stay on them frequently and heat them up, they will wear away faster. I would expect 50-60K from the fronts and 70K from the rears based on your comments. Also, pads/rotors are much cheaper to replace than a clutch if you are considering downshifting over and over to slow down the car.

Best,
Rory

dave b
10-02-2005, 10:18 AM
I don't downshift with the sole intent of saving the pads and rotors, but I do downshift more than someone with a slush box, so I figured that would make a difference in the pad life.

Pads and rotors are stock - brembo or balo for the rotors, MM's for the pads (I think). Nothing special. I was just surprised that I passed the 40k mark and there's still half left. I'm used to replacing them on other cars much sooner.

Dave