PDA

View Full Version : 1991 318is good deal???

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
found this 318is, its really exactly what im looking for, as some of you maay remember, i wanted to buy a tallon, because i couldent find one of these, but now i have. what do you guys thing, I called the fella. car lived in AZ most of its life, then one year in NC, and only has one winter in MI, lightweight flywheel, suspension upgrades, and such, heres a link

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=189749433&dealer_id=56949621&car_year=1991&search_type=used&make=BMW&distance=300&model=&address=48381&certified=&advanced=&max_price=4500&bkms=1128028504155&min_price=1&first_record=51&end_year=2000&start_year=1981&isp=y&pager.offset=50&lang=en&cardist=233#vdptop

its for 3k, but i would probally only be looking to pay about 2-2.5k, and hes moving, so i would probally get it. any comments, anyone in the area wanna take a look,

thanks a ton

Kyle

sonar5
09-30-2005, 10:15 AM
It looks pretty well used.

Be prepared to put some money into it. Those rims really have to go, IMHO.

Also the leather looks pretty worn as well.

When you get there, only concentrate on the negatives, not the positives, as that is the best way to get the cost down. Every time you mention something that needs to be replaced, subtract it from your negotiating price.

Remember it is a 4 cylinder, I'd go find a six cylinder, IMHO, but if this is what you are looking for, don't let him know that. Tell him you're really looking for something different, maybe four doors... lol

Good Luck,
Joe

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 10:22 AM
i want the 4 cyl because im going to use it to sommute, andone know anything about that 1.9 dohc, i dont, thanks again, kyle

billb
09-30-2005, 10:30 AM
It looks pretty well used.

Be prepared to put some money into it. Those rims really have to go, IMHO.

Also the leather looks pretty worn as well.

When you get there, only concentrate on the negatives, not the positives, as that is the best way to get the cost down. Every time you mention something that needs to be replaced, subtract it from your negotiating price.

Remember it is a 4 cylinder, I'd go find a six cylinder, IMHO, but if this is what you are looking for, don't let him know that. Tell him you're really looking for something different, maybe four doors... lol

Good Luck,
Joe

I've loved my '91 318is since day one, over 2.5 years ago. I believe Jr will vouch for his being a pleasure as well. The one you're looking at has already been lowered, has a decent-looking strut brace. The seats are sport cloth, not leather, so you'll be able to recover that without too much effort.

That exhaust has to go.

The wheels wouldn't bee too bad if there were some color to them at all, but all black looks kinda silly.

I have over $7000 in mine since March 2003, including the $2900 purchase price. It's been a very good car for me, and with Mark D's chip, is a rocket above 3500 rpm. Not a torque-monster to say the least. I got 30 mpg on my last tank, and routinely get 22-24 city out of it, pushing it pretty hard.

Things to check: profile gasket changed (maybe even twice), hoses (water, fuel, vacuum, brake), control arm bushings, strut mounts (basically all suspension hard and soft mounts), shifter linkage, wheel bearings, timing chain, cooling system, SI board, odometer drive (notorious for the little gears decomposing), A/C system, rust around the tail lights, ignition coils, AFM.

That should get you started.

By the way, it's technically a 1.8L (1796cc). Go here (http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/index.html) for a very good technical site specifically on the 318is.

Good luck!

Jeff N.
09-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Stock, 131k miles, needed clutch & struts. Paint was fair. Had a messy stereo install. Fair amount of commuter dings and dents.

Ran well. Engine looked tight.

I thought it was a 2.5k to 2.8k car but I have yet to see another. Seller balked at my offer in that area.

They are rare so if you want one, you may to to reach the extra $500 or so pick it up.

Good luck!

Jeff

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 02:19 PM
thanks, i mean, its what i want, both on the gas saving front, and the sporty front, overall it seems like a good car, and im a DIYer, so the cost of fixing somthing is only the cost of the parts, and you hear all these people gruff about the cost of european cars parts, but it just isnt a relivent point, i have found both parts for mt 535i, and my old 325i to be reasonably priced.

thanks again

kyle

Kalevera
09-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Kyle, a couple of things to think about:

- E30 is a great car; I've heard of some people owning an E30 and an E34, with the latter being their winter vehicle (!).

- An acquaintence of mine who owns a few of these says they're great in the snow (I don't know) -- he gets around cleveland all winter long in a 318/2 -- it's even a '91 and red.

- M40/variants have a few quirks. They leak like a sieve from all over the place. Head gaskets can go and the timing chains tend to need replacement at around 150k. Aforementioned acquaintence just rebuilt a motor and dumped into his winter ride with a little bit of help from us around the shop because the headgasket was gone.

- Easy to work on, but it'll need a few things unless very well cared for.

- E30s rust at the front fenders, rear quarter lowers, trunk by the license plate. Check all bushings and ball joints if you consider buying one.

best, whit

Lennyz525i
09-30-2005, 03:06 PM
There's such an abundance of used E30s selling here in CA now. I've been thinking about getting one for so long now. My friend has a 318is, the car is actually pretty zippy as long as you keep the revs up.

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 03:17 PM
while everyone comments on the e30 318is, few have told me if they thought this car was a deal or not?

Jeff N.
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM

Derek A.
09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Is there that much of a significant difference in fuel economy from a 318 to a 325e or i ?

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 03:32 PM
well, i have to assume there is a diffirence, maybe not significant, but i dont have a 325i, i sold it to me brother, who just went straight into a curb at about 70, eliminating the buy back factor, the diffireance between a 318is, and a 535i, is significant

uscharalph
09-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Looks worked, but what the heck. Makes for a better before and after picture.