PDA

View Full Version : OHH No, i got the 50mph shimmy

kyleN20
09-30-2005, 09:55 AM
iv heard about this, but never looked at any threads involving it, because i dident have the problem, but no i do. At about 55 mph, it starts to shimmy, and if i break its a nightmare, its basicly a nightmare from 50 to 60, anyone jnow what im dealing with here???

thanks for any help of infor

Kyle

sonar5
09-30-2005, 10:05 AM
iv heard about this, but never looked at any threads involving it, because i didn't have the problem, but no i do. At about 55 mph, it starts to shimmy, and if i break its a nightmare, its basically a nightmare from 50 to 60, anyone know what I'm dealing with here???

thanks for any help of info

Kyle

You are now the proud member of a very large club. We welcome you with open arms and wish you well upon your quest. :D

BTW - I have the same thing now, last year I thought I had it fixed by replacing a center bearing, but now it is back with a vengeance.

Old Thread:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2436

Regards,
Joe

MontesCarlos
09-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Follow Joe's thread link. It covers your problem well. I've owned two 525i's which developed the same problem you are experiencing. Both times I replaced the Upper Control Arms and while I was at it I also replaced the worn struts. Both cars ran very nicely after I replaced those parts.

Black 535i
09-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Get your tires properly balanced! Then see if the issue still is there.

Follow Joe's thread link. It covers your problem well. I've owned two 525i's which developed the same problem you are experiencing. Both times I replaced the Upper Control Arms and while I was at it I also replaced the worn struts. Both cars ran very nicely after I replaced those parts.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Get your tires properly balanced! Then see if the issue still is there.

Agree. The last 3 times I had shimmy it was only due to wheel balance. It's easy to throw a weight, then you "suddenly" get the shimmy. The last time I even had shimmy AFTER a Hunter GSP9700 road force balance and had to have clip on weights for a dynamic balance. Tape behind the spokes didn't work.

Mendozart
09-30-2005, 10:31 PM
iv heard about this, but never looked at any threads involving it, because i dident have the problem, but no i do. At about 55 mph, it starts to shimmy, and if i break its a nightmare, its basicly a nightmare from 50 to 60, anyone jnow what im dealing with here???

thanks for any help of infor

Kyle
Always start with wheels/tires. Make sure they are balanced and not out of round. Braking shimmy is almost always thrust arm bushings or possibly warped rotors.