PDA

View Full Version : M60 PCV Tube Installation Problem

bmw530
09-30-2005, 06:42 AM
I am completing an overhaul of my 1994 530i intake system and trying to re-install the PCV tube which runs under the intake manifold and connects to the PCV plate at back and into another tube at front.

I did not notice when removing the tube, but it seems like I can have only one side fully inserted on either end, leaving one side apparently coming up short. Is this normal or am I missing some important tidbit of info?

Thanks,
Ernie

632 Regal
09-30-2005, 09:12 AM
I had to install the plate after the intake was on because of that same problem. After the intake is on try to keep the tube towards the plate after aligned and tighten down as the tube is flush to the plate.

bmw530
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
I can get the tube connected at the PCV plate, but that seems to leave about an inch and a half at the front side where the tube connects. I'm not certain if there was orginally that much space at the front, because it looks like the two pieces are made to mate at the front also.

632 Regal
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
The front is a slip fit with a seal between the 2. you mean there is 1.5 inches too short? Is this with the intake on the engine already or your trying to assemble the intake/plate as a unit?

bmw530
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
I have loosely replaced the entire intake assembly with PCV plate, injectors, and throttle body back on the engine without tightening the intake manifold bolts or hooking any other connections up yet. I had previously removed everything to fix a vacuum leak and replace PCV plate, etc..
Everything looks like it's in the right spot, except this PCV tube and it's looking too short for some reason. I think I'm missing something obvious because the metal PCV tube could not have changed. Is the seal between the two front pieces an oil ring?
Thanks again.
Ernie

632 Regal
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
did you slide the tube back towards the pcv plate? It is a slip fit and can move front to back. It has some sort of seal between the 2 tubes.

bmw530
09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Yep, the tube is right up to the oil ring on the PCV plate. You mentioned 2 tubes. I thought it was one tube from front to back?

tim
09-30-2005, 12:13 PM
This tube?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1291&hg=11&fg=15

I don't think this tube fits until you tighten it all down, which is kinda a catch 22, if you ask me.

Just like the two metal tubes going to the waterpump under the intake. I'm never satisfied with those damn o-rings and it's a leap of faith to start tightening down.

bmw530
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Funny, I was just checking out that website and yes it's that tube. I'm pretty sure I don't have an oil separator like they show in the picture though. I kept trying different production months, but they all show the separator. Either way, I think you must be right about not fitting until it's tightened down. Just don't see any other way to do it. I believe I purchased that o-ring from an earlier post for someone else performing the same procedure, but thought it was for the PCV plate which already came with one.
BTW, the intake was an oil mess and I found the PCV diaghragm torn. Hope that was all it was for all that oil and not worn piston rings.

infinity5
09-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Mine fit. Regal is right, the tube can slide back and fourth a little becuase it's a slip-fit. are you 100% sure the intake manifold is aligned properly? it might be set too far back, the screw holes give it some leeway in placement. Tim might also be right about it not fitting correctly until the slack of loose-ness if taken in by tightening everything down, i don't really rememmber.

If nothing helps, take the manifold off again and attach the tube to the engine FIRST, then put the manifold/TB back on, without the PVC plate. Then tight the intake mani down, making sure it's aligned correctly. Last, attach the PVC plate and scooch the pipe a little back if you have to, it should all go togeher corectly.

I remember the PVC plate having lots of little hose-openings and the piece that mated to the pipe could be rotated, check and make sure it's set up properly.

Take some picture too, if you can. It was about 3am and pitch black when i finally pulled mine off, but i mostly rememmber.

On a side note- how'd you guys pull your intakes? i'm a short, thin guy and i ended up standing over the open engine bay, each foot on a strut down, and holding the manifold with my hands, squatting, and litting it up with my legs. everyhting was still attached, so it weighed a "substantial" ammount. that TB is pretty big.

infinity5
09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
BTW, the intake was an oil mess and I found the PCV diaghragm torn. Hope that was all it was for all that oil and not worn piston rings.
mine was soaked with oil as well. I bathed it in oxyclean over night and got as grill brush to scrape the caked-on crud out from the intake ports.

I then soaked the whole thing in wd-40 (the metal thing inside was rusting), and toweled it dry. It was pretty fun, honestly :)

oh, and then i coated the outside with about 8-layers of amorall high-shine. you couldn't look at the engine bay for a week becuase it sparkled.

anyway, the oil is probably more likely work valve stem seals, unless your engine has a lot of miles. wen you had the intake off, was there pools of oil on top of your valves (the closed ones, obviously).

bmw530
09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have an interesting Saturday! To pull the intake, I leaned over the engine bay and had my wife help support the front while I tilted it up and out. I should have moved the coolant reservoir out of the way like I did yesterday when reinstalling the pig. Much easier.

632 Regal
09-30-2005, 06:30 PM
definetly need the resiviour gone, I did this with minimal effort. Like I said earlier i had to thake the pcv plate back off in order to get the pipe to hook up, mine had bolts and not torx bits so I guess it was previously replaced. I hooked up the plate and had it hanging out as I lowered the intake back down (2nd attempt) tightened it and then brought the pcv plate to the intake and tightened it up. There was NO WAY to leave it on the intake and connect the tube, I do remember I had to pull the tube back (towards the firewall) onto the plate for it to go back together.

bmw530
10-01-2005, 10:53 AM
The engine has 150K on it. There was a small amount of oil on the backside of the intake valve when I removed the intake, therefore your worn valve seal theory sounds right on. At this point I don't think I will have the heads rebuilt; especially if my "rough idle" and check engine light do not disappear when I get the intake back together.
I have an industrial parts washer here at work and I cleaned up the intake pretty good with the brush and solvent.

bmw530
10-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I also got rid of the Torx screws for standard bolts. Thanks for sharing your lessons learned. Looks like I'll be tackling the intake tomorrow instead of today. Wife needs shopping and attention too! I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, my car is the same Cashmere color and looks identical except for the wheels.