PDA

View Full Version : 635cs i rust

Dash01
09-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Did BMW introduce rust-resitant sheet metal in the later 635cs i cars as they did in the E34?

Or, are all years of the Sixers prone to rust?

shogun
09-30-2005, 12:10 AM
Known Problems & Buying Tips

Body & Fittings

Sixes are very well made cars but even the youngest is now eleven years old. They rust, but it's not fatal. The biggest problem is the front wings. They have no inner splash gaurd except at the back (20 quid each and I'll bet yours need replacing) and this causes both the inner and outer wings to rust. They cost about 450 quid each but the trick is to order a wing from a pre-82 Six which is 100 quid cheaper and only lacks turn indicator holes! The inner wing can just be welded up.

The rear shock towers are a common weak spot in old BMWs but the Six isn't as bad as the 2002, worth a check though.

If the door drains clogg the bottom of the door will rust out. Rust can also startbehind the trim strips on the door where the metal is perforated but this can be stopped if caught.

If the sill drains clogg the sill will rust, they start at the back. A partial sill costs 320+VAT.

Check the four sunroof drains aren't rusty as they are very difficult to fix if they leak. If they become clogged you'll get water in the footwells. A bad windscreen seal can also cause this, as well as flooding the DME in the process.

BMW Mobile Tradition are now remanufacturing the kidney grills, badges and early rear spoilers.

Front bumpers and airdams are 1500 new and are becoming hard to find used. Pre-84 (roughly) cars have external fog lamps, after that they were built into the air dam. Chrome wing mirrors are also becoming hard to get I believe. The 82-87 style rubber spoiler is no longer available.

If the windows howl at speed don't be too alarmed. They are adjustable for stop height and angle but in the extreme new (expensive) window seals may be required. BMW Gummi Pfledge rubber restorer can help and is highly recommended.

If the rear electric windows are slow it's due to lack of use. Put them up and down a few times a day and they'll recover. With the sunroof on tilt they allow for excellent ventilation by the way.

Water leaks in the boot can be caused by failing tail light gaskets, the inner ones cost 40 quid each. Old BMWs tend to suffer from a bit of condensation in the boot.

The headlamp wash / wipe motors alsoways gunk up. Remove them (grilles have two screws hidden on the indside behind the indicator housing) and clean everything that moves. Control relay is hidden behind the indicator inside the inner wing.

A body pack with rear apron and sills isn't uncommon, personally I don't like it.

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html