PDA

View Full Version : new rubber boots 4 ball joints??

billkirk
09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
I've got the E34 on jack stands, pulled left side front strut out to replace shock insert and also need to replace the worn tie rod end that connects to the center tie rod. Removing the strut I ripped the rubber boot on the lower ball joint. That lower track control arm isn't rebuildable on the ball joint end, and the only thing wrong with it is the torn rubber boot. I've contacted the Lemfoerder distributor for Australia and found that Lemfoerder doesn't supply just the rubber boots. The guy was otherwise very helpful, suggesting that Mercedes or Audi might have rubber boots that would fit. Price for the entire track control arm is about US$135.

Have any of you found a way to replace the rubber boots from somewhere other than BMW? After 16 years and 240,000 km I might as well replace all the rubber boots while it's apart, if I could discover an adaptable part.

Bill K in Sydney AU

632 Regal
09-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Im not sure if there is a link in the thread but do a search on FCP groton, people have got boots from elsewhere and used them with great success.

GJPinAU
09-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Have you checked with ASV or Sydney Wide European Autos (9708 4848). They might have what you're looking for

ryan roopnarine
09-30-2005, 07:24 AM
there's a place in the US that sells urethane boots that will fit your tie rods or ball joiints, its called BMP performance. if europe is a cheaper alternative, email sean or johan of sean and johan's e32 page. i paid $14 USD for four balljoint boots on sale, plus shipping.

GS535i
09-30-2005, 03:09 PM
there's a place in the US that sells urethane boots that will fit your tie rods or ball joiints, its called BMP performance. if europe is a cheaper alternative, email sean or johan of sean and johan's e32 page. i paid $14 USD for four balljoint boots on sale, plus shipping.

I've used these ( pretty red ;) ) boots from BMP too: They've done the job for the last 7-8 years .... no problems.

Lennyz525i
09-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I've used these ( pretty red ;) ) boots from BMP too: They've done the job for the last 7-8 years .... no problems.

Are those boots easy to install? I assume you'll need to somehow fill em up with grease too.

billkirk
09-30-2005, 06:38 PM
The BMP items are exactly the ticket, but it'll take a week or so to get them out here to the Antipodes. I need the car back on the road sooner than that. Similar story re AVS, 60 kms away on the other side of Sydney. That's why I was hoping someone knew the M-B or Audi parts that work, several of those dealers in the neighbourhood. I guess I'll just make the rounds of the dealers and see what I can find.

My neighbour loaned me his ball joint splitter, less than 2 minutes per joint. With it as easy as that, I'll do what I can with what I've already bought and do the others in a week or two. Anyone who wastes their time with pickle forks or smacking the s**t out of the ball joints with a sledge hammer to TRY to break the ball joint loose (like I was last weekend) is a putz.

Again, Thanks guys for the quick advice.

Bill K

GS535i
10-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Are those boots easy to install? I assume you'll need to somehow fill em up with grease too.

Couldn't be simpler to use ... BMP supply a tube of the correct moly grease (CV joint type): apply a small amount, especially around the boot edges - and push on. There are no spring clips, etc. The seal is made when the ball stud is torqued down.
Pickle fork normally destroy the boots, so only use them if the parts are already garbage. The hammer method to seperate is very easy .... if the spindle is struck correctly: normally, one well applied 'smack', and the joint seperates w/o damage.