PDA

View Full Version : Rear end problems,??????

pyeman
09-29-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi you guy`s, need to pick yer brains on rear suspension on my 93,525i tourer, the self levelling type, the o/s has been replaced, along with variouse bushes, but i am now getting a thump, thump, every time i hit a manhole cover, or rough surface on the nearside,, the axle bushes were changed cos i was told they were suspect, no such luck, the thumpin is still there, i fancy the n/s suspension strut is suspect, but my garage say its ok, and is not leaking or anything, and neither is the exhaust catching anywhere, so guys, ime up a gum tree,, Help,!!!!, please.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi you guy`s, need to pick yer brains on rear suspension on my 93,525i tourer, the self levelling type, the o/s has been replaced, along with variouse bushes, but i am now getting a thump, thump, every time i hit a manhole cover, or rough surface on the nearside,, the axle bushes were changed cos i was told they were suspect, no such luck, the thumpin is still there, i fancy the n/s suspension strut is suspect, but my garage say its ok, and is not leaking or anything, and neither is the exhaust catching anywhere, so guys, ime up a gum tree,, Help,!!!!, please.

SLS suspension compliance is provided by the accumulator "bombs" mounted inboard of the rear suspension. They have a bladder to separate the SLS oil from a nitrogen charge and during suspension deflection the nitrogen is compressed, providing damping. When the bladder fails the nitrogen is lost and the bomb goes solid, causing a very stiff/choppy ride. If left, the extra pressure will cause the damper seals to leak.

HTH,

Bill R.
09-29-2005, 06:30 AM
bomb fails since there is no cushioning effect anymore

SLS suspension compliance is provided by the accumulator "bombs" mounted inboard of the rear suspension. They have a bladder to separate the SLS oil from a nitrogen charge and during suspension deflection the nitrogen is compressed, providing damping. When the bladder fails the nitrogen is lost and the bomb goes solid, causing a very stiff/choppy ride. If left, the extra pressure will cause the damper seals to leak.

HTH,

pyeman
09-29-2005, 07:39 AM
bomb fails since there is no cushioning effect anymore

Thanks a million you guys, so much for the garage`s comments, so i can now try to locate a replacement.