PDA

View Full Version : OT: e39 key remote problem- update and call for advice

tim
09-29-2005, 06:02 AM
Gents,
I posted awhile back about getting a replacement key for my wifes '99 540it. $100 later, the new one doesn't work at all. Yeah, sure, it's cut properly and works in the lock and ignition, but I 'coulda cut a blank to do that for $10. Here are the symptoms:

1) the unlock function button works to lock the car on the old key, but not to unlock it.
2) the new one will not program.
3) the central locking system works fine from the button on the console, and also from the driver's side door lock (ie: the 'secret' door key functions).

Any ideas? It must be something about the IR transmitter/receiver right?, since that would explain why it doesn't work and the new one won't program. But why does the old one lock but not unlock? Are there two receivers? Help. This whole thing is making look bad to my wife- why couldn't it be something easy like thrust arms or valve cover?

tia,

tim

Qsilver7
09-29-2005, 08:28 AM
I would double check which key you purchased...maybe you mis-wrote...but the keys are RF (radio frequency) not IR (infrared).

Also, I believe some time mid-1999 the keys switched over from the black fat head rubber remotes to the diamond shaped so you need to check the key you purchased against your wife's car mfg date to make sure you ordered the correct key (don't trust the lug-heads at the parts counter...they can screw up a wet dream).

* E39 keys up to mfg 9/1999 (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DR63&mospid=47596&btnr=41_0012&hg=41&fg=40)

* E39 keys from 9/1999-up (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DR63&mospid=47596&btnr=41_1330&hg=41&fg=40)

Do you know how your wife's e39's car & key memory is programmed? You are aware that you can program the key to require two pushes of the button to unlock all the doors etc (plus many other options): click this link for the car & key memory worksheet that describes what can be turned off & on by your dealer (PDF format) (http://www.e38.org/E38-Options.pdf)

Many have difficulty programming or intializing a new key...make sure you familiarize yourserlf with the buttons & their respective "numbers". (see your e39 owners manual). But the procedure should be something like this once you have all the keys that need to be initialized in hand...and you will need to program all of the keys at one time...if you only do one...it's the only one that will work:

1) Get in and close all doors.

2) Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly.

3) Remove the 1st key (do not keep it in the ignition as someone suggested).

4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this as well)

5) Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

(here's instructions from my e38 owner's manual which may be similar)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_49_full.jpg

BTW...this is not an O/T (off topic) thread. Its about an e39 5 series and a problem you are experiencing...it is very much ON topic! :D

tim
09-29-2005, 09:14 AM
Great post. I'll run it all down one more time. I cross checked the key vs. prod date already and it's correct. I don't recall hearing the advice about holding it near the left shoulder before so I'll try that right away. Presumably the receiver is near there. Is it possible to inspect it? On my e34 it's on the rear view mirror stalk assembly. When I do the program routine I get everything fine up to the point when you release the unlock button, I don't get the car locks confirming operation.

thanks again

SRR2
09-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm not familiar with the vintage key you have, since mine is an '01. However, is it possible that the internal battery is discharged? My key's battery is hardwired and rechargeable from the ignition when the car is running. Once discharged, it will operate the ignition, but won't operate the lock system or be programmable .

If this could be the case, there is a way to charge the battery outside the car.

tim
09-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Mine has the little watch battery on the inside. Pre 9/99. I replaced it so that's not it.

tim
09-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Dude, the left shoulder thing worked it! You rule. :D