PDA

View Full Version : Ray Korman's personal 525

Gene in NC
09-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Does eveyone know or does any one care to know about Korman's personal, tricked out 525 with m3 power?

granit_silber
09-29-2005, 06:26 AM
Does eveyone know or does any one care to know about Korman's personal, tricked out 525 with m3 power?
I would love to know!
-ashley

Rigmaster
09-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Oh, I know about it- up close and personally.......

At one of the last 'CCA driver's schools I instructed at, I came out on track late in one of the instructor run groups, as I hit turn 1 (VIR), I saw this white blur coming at me down the front straight. It was Ray Korman in his E34. He wanted to get past me pretty badly as he was at my passenger side door about halfway through the turn. I finally gave him a passing sign, and he flew by me, along with a group of other "fast" cars in the instructor group- seems that he was trying to hold off some of the other guys in full blown race cars, and- knowing Ray, was not going to let them pass without earning it.

Bret.

Gene in NC
09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
OK, for a 136 "peeks" I'll tell you what little of the details that I can recall. Rigmaster has already given you an idea of the performance.

First heard of it at the e28 '04 FiverFest in NC last year. Korman as featured speaker didn't bring it up but responded to question of, "What are you personally driving?" :

'90 525 with m3 power. (Assume late model engine with maybe some Korman tuning?

525 5s inexpensive because everyone wants AT

Likes rack and pinion steering and m3 fits right in.

Prob brakes and suspension

Track and street suspensions with 6 hours to swap. Unclear if that is 6hrs round trip or each way.

Last winter at Korman open house car was for sale @ $25k.

E28 '05 FiverFest at Spartanburg, Korman had the car there. Claimed that it would cost $25 to bring my '90 525 5s up to his mechanical specs because m3 engines now have high miles so would need rebuild. He was invited to run in e28 autocross. Maybe 5 practice or best time runs. He finished third or fourth of maybe 50 cars but the car was gorgeous (Alpenweis). 535 torque may have done him in.

Incidentally, if you haen't already done the plant, don't miss a chance to do it with a peer group. First class all the way. Even the wife liked it.

Kalevera
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
I thought he had a stroked 535?

best, whit

Gene in NC
09-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Whit, suspect Korman has or has had one of just about everything. Believe my report to be accurate. My conversation with him re changes to my car is 100% accurate. Of course, that doesn't make it true, only my recollection.

Gene in NC
10-01-2005, 06:15 AM
ry this link from over on the e28 board. All this was going on at e28 events.

http://www.mye28.com/cgi-bin/forum/forum.cgi?session=f1cTyrcHsvrFN4wCxZ3S6Rosjy&forum=2&thread=7661