PDA

View Full Version : Are BMW seat belts simply rubbish?

genphreak
09-28-2005, 06:32 PM
When compared to these? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-POWER-4-POINT-SEAT-BELT-BELTS-325I-328I-540I-M3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33725QQitemZ80032916 42QQrdZ1)

Has anyone tried them?

I was thinking of getting a roll cage to go with my new K&N lookalike filter and custom, light-up, blow-off valve.

But now it looks like I won't need to as these will bolt to the car's existing mounting brackets!!!

With a set of these my e34 could hit a tree or three and I'm sure I'd still be ok!!!!

I reckon everyone should get a pair.

Would anyone be interested in a group buy if we can get the price down?

632 Regal
09-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Dude!!!

You can't compare racing belts to stockers, stockers are designed to do their job well for many years.

Them racing belts have many more points of reference for a totally different application setting comfort away. Now look into your race catagorie and you will see that those are only approved for racing for what 2-3 years max?

Priorities take context here.

xphilter
09-28-2005, 06:54 PM
heh, how much are they now? my drivers side belt doen't retract all the way anymore so i dunno...

genphreak
09-28-2005, 07:08 PM
heh, how much are they now? my drivers side belt doen't retract all the way anymore so i dunno...:) Fellows, I'm gonna write to the guy and ask him if he'll give us a 20% discount for a group buy. That'd make them... let's see...

80c each.

Not a bad investment considering it is the only thing between you and certain death in the case of an accident.

I should be able to scrape that together even on my budget.

Imagine the weight loss from those heavy old BMW belts! Wow I might get a better quarter-mile time too..

Qube
09-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Would you trust this 'racing' harness from eBay to save your life? I'd rather take my chances with the stocker... :(

winfred
09-28-2005, 07:18 PM
you just need to figure out how to atach them so that they don't pull out, as in weld in thick metal plates on both sides of the floor pan then bolt through both, also making the rear mountings for the sholder straps at the correct position so you don't break your back when the belts pull you down into the seat if you hit something if they are bolted to the floor

uscharalph
09-28-2005, 07:27 PM
When compared to these? (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-POWER-4-POINT-SEAT-BELT-BELTS-325I-328I-540I-M3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33725QQitemZ80032916 42QQrdZ1)

Has anyone tried them?

I was thinking of getting a roll cage to go with my new K&N lookalike filter and custom, light-up, blow-off valve.

But now it looks like I won't need to as these will bolt to the car's existing mounting brackets!!!

With a set of these my e34 could hit a tree or three and I'm sure I'd still be ok!!!!

I reckon everyone should get a pair.

Would anyone be interested in a group buy if we can get the price down?
I think I'll just avoid the trees! LOL!!

E34 530
09-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Would you trust this 'racing' harness from eBay to save your life? I'd rather take my chances with the stocker... :(

Word up G............ Just kidding I'm white.

shogun
09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/112/106/16668214/1098784909772_1101662248532_RSB_M3RED_RSr.jpg

Very, very comfortable and fitting when you drive to your office with suit and necktie, and maybe you get attention of the people when you unwind at the bakery shop to get your morning ......

:p

digitaldragon03
09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Haha, a guy slaps on some ///M logos to some cheap belt and the belt is race car worthy.

genphreak
09-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Word up G............ Just kidding I'm white.Woah... r u juz sayin' that cos I'm Black?

genphreak
09-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Very, very comfortable and fitting when you drive to your office with suit and necktie, and maybe you get attention of the people when you unwind at the bakery shop to get your morning ...... :pYes, they'd suit a hiline quite well too Erich ;)

If you could stretch the wallet to pay out a total of US$1.60 you could fit a set in the rear so ur passengers don't nut themselves on those flash mohogany dinner tables (whilst desprately trying to hang onto their drinks as u whistle past all those manacing trees with the old V12 blasting its heart out under WOT)... :) Nick

Zeuk in Oz
09-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Interesting thread !
A client of mine is a mechanical engineer who investigates car crashes - thats all he does !
In his opinion the only seatbelts that stay on the body where there are intended in a crash are ... wait for it... Volvos. He drives a Volvo 740 with no air bag - he doesn't think front airbags are much good other than to save on facial surgery. He loves window bags.
It is interesting that Volvo are now investigating a change to the 3 point belt to make them more scure - one of the options was to have a 4th anchor point and attach a belt from it to the existing belt.
Alternatively they are looking at 2 belts worn simultaneously but from different sides.
I guess everyone is always willing to re-invent the wheel and make a name for themselves.

SRR2
09-29-2005, 06:07 AM
I wonder how long it will take for BMW to shut this nitwit down for trademark infringement.

mikell
09-29-2005, 06:51 AM
How many HP will these add? 'Course, you'd want a big hood scoop to go with this performance enhancement.

DanDombrowski
09-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Gotta jump in on the 'hitting a tree' part.

The most damaging collision in a car wreck isn't the cars hitting each other or you hitting the car, but its your organs hitting your rib cage. The faster you stop yourself, the MORE you will be hurt.

That doesn't mean racing belts are bad, but you just have to take a lot more into context when comparing them. A stiffer material will slow you down faster, and consequently is more detrimental to your health. Do you know if this material is more or less stiff than the stocks? If they don't know, you don't know.

On the other hand, if you distribute the strain energy over more of your body (most racing belts do), you stand a better chance. Have these been crash tested? Crash testing cars and belts with painted dummies is EXPENSIVE. I doubt they have anywhere NEAR the R&D that BMW has put into the placement, materials, and creation of their belts.

The other benefit of racing belts which in many cases outweighs the costs of a stiffer belt is that it keeps you from flailing around in a servere rollover.

Now, once again, I'm at work and can't look at the ebay auction itself. But unless I see a whole lotta research and engineering to back those up, their product is nothing more than a guess at safety.

rockyfeller
09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
lol!

genphreak
09-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Interesting thread !
A client of mine is a mechanical engineer who investigates car crashes - thats all he does !
In his opinion the only seatbelts that stay on the body where there are intended in a crash are ... wait for it... Volvos.Maybe I should write the vendor an email and ask if they do a Volvo version... perhaps it will be engineered to a higher standard to 'surpass the OEM specification'

If what we have so far is in any way indicative- it scares me to think what will be on eBay in a few years time.

Fun stuff Zeuk :) Tx

genphreak
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
LOL well I am sure they represent a 'weight gain' so as to increase the car's 'ambient power to weight ratio' or something like that... but I guess those great minds behind those various morally bankrupt marketing machines (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3-5-7-Series-M3-M5-Z3-Supercharger-w-air-filter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ8003 581544QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) manufacturing those 'Performance' intake manifold vacuum cleaners (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Supercharger-Ford-Mustang-Mark-VIII-8-BMW-AUDI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33741QQitemZ800329 9200QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) haven't quite diversified into these (yet)... :D nick

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-29-2005, 05:49 PM
These set ups don't give slack like the stock ones.

Everytime you want to lean forward and reach for the glove box or something or try to turn to check a blind spot...You are glued in.

pyro
09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
if i were to buy that it wouldn't be for more safety it would be for driving the twistys... hold you squair in the seet :D