PDA

View Full Version : under the hood upgrades

epp
03-02-2004, 03:36 AM
would like to get a comment on what would be the better upgrade since i'd go for the chip but the 93octane we have will make no real significant change. is anyone using a shrick camshaft? or would it be better to upgrade the intake manifold using dinan's. again i'd go for both..but i'll start somewhere..there are a few other upgrades around but this seems most reasonable at the moment.

thanks in advance,

ed
90/535ia

jplacson
03-02-2004, 04:23 AM
Visit www.bmwe34.net and go to upgrades/recipe for power there are a LOT of useful hints and tips, and what to get for the best bang for your buck upgrades. :)

mikey535im
03-02-2004, 05:02 PM
would like to get a comment on what would be the better upgrade since i'd go for the chip but the 93octane we have will make no real significant change. is anyone using a shrick camshaft? or would it be better to upgrade the intake manifold using dinan's. again i'd go for both..but i'll start somewhere..there are a few other upgrades around but this seems most reasonable at the moment.

thanks in advance,

ed
90/535ia
Ed,
Even with 93 Octane gas you will find a very noticeable difference,I run 93 octane at 6,000 ft above sea level (colorado) with the sh*t o2 fuel and it feels like I've upgraded to both the cam and intake.Very well spent monies,you won't regret it . Especially with the auto trans model!
Mike

MarkD
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM

thanks in advance,

ed
90/535ia

Hello Ed,
a chip will work well with 93 octane. Do you not have 91? It should work with that also.

Mark

epp
03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Hi Mark,

Yes its a 90 euro model and if it will run on 93 and there is a difference i will certainly sign up for one.

rgds,
ed
90/535ia

winfred
03-02-2004, 11:08 PM
the eat chip knocked about a 1/2 second off of 0-60 in my 90 535ia, it may be better then that now that it's been in there a while, i do know it hauls ass
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535%20r%20motor
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535%20l%20motor

jplacson
03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Ok, quick question... does chipping also affect manual Bimmers? Or just AT ones?

winfred
03-03-2004, 12:19 AM
the chip helps both

///M Power
03-03-2004, 01:07 AM
yea where the hell do u get 93 octane in the USA?? i know japan they have really high octane, all the way up to 110 (anything over 110 is leaded).

winfred
03-03-2004, 01:20 AM
around baton rouge you need to search to find 91, just about all super is 93 with a few stations with 92

MarkD
03-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Hi Mark,

Yes its a 90 euro model and if it will run on 93 and there is a difference i will certainly sign up for one.

rgds,
ed
90/535ia

Ed,
if you want me to add a touch more timing for your 93 octane I'll do that.

Mark

kiNGMak
03-03-2004, 01:54 AM
California used to have 92 around

epp
03-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi Mark,

if it will run on 93 without any hiccups.. very appreciative for the additional timing..on the installation, from reading all the writeups and on Bruno's site it looks pretty basic..for some..guess its the excitement and nervouseness of getting the chip on asap and hitting the road... will send a separate email on other details as the chip will have to fly to the Philippines..
let me know as soon as you have one for the 635csi..

regards,
ed
90/535ia

MarkD
03-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Hi Mark,

if it will run on 93 without any hiccups.. very appreciative for the additional timing..on the installation, from reading all the writeups and on Bruno's site it looks pretty basic..for some..guess its the excitement and nervouseness of getting the chip on asap and hitting the road... will send a separate email on other details as the chip will have to fly to the Philippines..
let me know as soon as you have one for the 635csi..

regards,
ed
90/535ia

Hi Ed,
are you in the Philipines? Then your 93 is most likely rated using the RON method, and closer to the 89 we get in North America. Now I see why you said you only get 93. (is that correct ? ) In that case, I may have to retard the timing a few degrees. Please check which DME you have, and if it is a 0 261 200 059, I need to know how many pins are on your stock chip, it is either 24 or 28.

Mark

jplacson
03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
Weird thing... when I first got my Bimmer, I used the standard 92 octane we have here in the Philippines (regular unleaded)... then one time, I decided to try one fo the 'premium' fancy name fuels that have 95-96 octane ratings... my Bimmer seems to pick up faster, and the economy gauge seems to report better fuel consumption. Is this because our 95-96 octane may be closer to the Euro 92 octane? I mean, I noticed a significant difference in pick-up, and over-all fuel economy.

epp
03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Hi Mark,

Yes it is 93 octane(unleaded) thats listed on the pumps there also is 95 premium unleaded..before they took the lead out of it you can really go faster using the 95- you still can..that why i think they still have some traces of lead in it.. but because of the cat have stuck to the 93..the DME no.is 0261200179 euro version..will there still be some improvement..

thanks in advance.

rgds,
ed
90/535ia

Hi Ed,
are you in the Philipines? Then your 93 is most likely rated using the RON method, and closer to the 89 we get in North America. Now I see why you said you only get 93. (is that correct ? ) In that case, I may have to retard the timing a few degrees. Please check which DME you have, and if it is a 0 261 200 059, I need to know how many pins are on your stock chip, it is either 24 or 28.

Mark

jplacson
03-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Ed, the 95 'premiums' aren't as clean as the 'fancy name' ones... I switched to XCS (will try Blaze on my next tank) and it did make a difference. From rumors I've heard since way back, Petron has the best gas, while Caltex has the best Diesels. Stay away from Shell... even Hondas get problems using their gas...I've heard stories from Honda service guys saying that Shell gas (Velocity) clogs Honda injectors.

I've never had problems with Petron XCS quality...seems pretty consistent, and I know it's cleaner than the regular unleaded we have. And my milage seems to be better (I don't have to step on the gas as much) My engine also runs a bit better than on regular unleaded (even if it is from Petron) I'm guessing it's like what Mark said, maybe our rating system is different. And our 95/96 is like the international 92 or 91 octane

AllanS
03-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Here in NY it seems like it's either 87/89/91/93 or 89/91/93. I've never seen a pump near me not have 93, and it's priced only a bit higher than 91.

Jeff N.
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Start with a chip. And, be happy with that. Going the next route opens up all sorts of interesting (read: problematic) doors. Things such as matching your upgrades - gee...that manifold sure sucks with that camshaft; EFI tuning - er, i really need to adjust my timing to match my cam but I can't mod the chip; and other interesting stuff.

I know this first hand. I'm running a ported head with an aftermarket cam, adjustable cam gear, adjustable FPR, different injectors and modified intake manifold. Is it faster? Hmmm...maybe...at selected RPM bands, maybe slower in other bands. It's different, that's for sure.

Anyways, if you want to improve your car. Install a chip. If you want to learn about motors and tuning, crack it open and have fun. Don't expect to go faster but be happy if you do. If you really want to go faster and don't want to work at it (eg, time, money) , buy a factory made fast car.

Jeff

Terry B
03-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Houston usually has a combo similar to yours - 87/89/91 or 93 (I see 93 most of the time). have seen 92 - but rare.

MBXB
03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
93 is available in most Florida stations

epp
03-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Jeff,

wow..hit the nail on the head here..thanks for the advice..the chip sounds like the neatest option.. :)

rgds,
ed.

MarkD
03-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi Mark,

Yes it is 93 octane(unleaded) thats listed on the pumps there also is 95 premium unleaded..before they took the lead out of it you can really go faster using the 95- you still can..that why i think they still have some traces of lead in it.. but because of the cat have stuck to the 93..the DME no.is 0261200179 euro version..will there still be some improvement..

thanks in advance.

rgds,
ed
90/535ia

Hello Ed,
yes I am quite sure that you would notice a difference. Send me a direct email if you want. I can ship a chip to you for evaluation in your car.

Mark.

epp
03-04-2004, 01:58 AM
JP,

Yup that's it..our fuel here seems to be all mixed up and the ratings here probably dont match intl standards for the same octane rating..i agree that petron has the best and probably also the cleanest around town...i did hear a few comments about shell before and to many of them sounds like its really true..

thanks,
]ed.

Ed, the 95 'premiums' aren't as clean as the 'fancy name' ones... I switched to XCS (will try Blaze on my next tank) and it did make a difference. From rumors I've heard since way back, Petron has the best gas, while Caltex has the best Diesels. Stay away from Shell... even Hondas get problems using their gas...I've heard stories from Honda service guys saying that Shell gas (Velocity) clogs Honda injectors.

I've never had problems with Petron XCS quality...seems pretty consistent, and I know it's cleaner than the regular unleaded we have. And my milage seems to be better (I don't have to step on the gas as much) My engine also runs a bit better than on regular unleaded (even if it is from Petron) I'm guessing it's like what Mark said, maybe our rating system is different. And our 95/96 is like the international 92 or 91 octane

Scott E
03-04-2004, 03:27 AM
I remember filling up in Vegas one time and filled up with Chevron Premium before leaving. I swear I got 3 more MPG and more power.

California fuel sucks ass. It burns a little cleaner but you use more of it. Net Gain = ZERO.

MBXB
03-04-2004, 04:11 AM
ed and JP

Where do you get to let your cars run around MNL?

Last time I was there I was caught in traffic all the time. Stayed around Alabang and Makati though.

MBXB

Jeff,

wow..hit the nail on the head here..thanks for the advice..the chip sounds like the neatest option.. :)

rgds,
ed.

epp
03-04-2004, 08:39 AM
your right there really is no place to run by the time you get to a decent speed its time to hit the breaks cause some jeep stops right in the middle of the road let some passengers off..i reside in the alabang area and use the new skyway everytime i head to makati..guess what ..the cops now have radar guns and stop dudes that go over 100km at the toll gate entry/exit points...driving on the none elevated part of the highway is like driving in an arcade..dodging all the guys who insist on staying in the fast lane but travel at 50km..

but for the rest of roads here as you may be aware..the roads the limit...no one to slow you down except for the demonized bus drivers..crazed taxi drivers..the occasional missing manhole cover..and some pedestrians who insist on crossing the road with their eyes closed..yes its fun to haul ass at times when most obstacles are not around late at night or early am.. :D

ed and JP

Where do you get to let your cars run around MNL?

Last time I was there I was caught in traffic all the time. Stayed around Alabang and Makati though.

MBXB