PDA

View Full Version : hats of rear rotors

shragon
09-27-2005, 02:32 PM
i'm going to have to do my rear rotors and pads soon. currently, i have ate rotors. worked great, but the one thing i didn't like about them is the hats of them rust. i'm wondering if this is the same for balo and brembro? i know you can paint the hats before you install them, but i rather eliminate this step if possible. TIA.

632 Regal
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
im not sure exactly what i got but they rusted too, ill see if i can find out.

All I have on my maintenance history is rotors...their either balo or brembo, have to get my receipt from work to fill out the costs on maint list.

SharkmanBMW
09-27-2005, 05:09 PM
aren't there some with nickel plating or something for that?

genphreak
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
aren't there some with nickel plating or something for that?Yes, but the heat cracks it off once they get hot; high temperature paint cracks sooner and low temp paint lasts a day. You can see it coming off the Ricer cars as such.

If you drive calmly you can avoid it, but they all go eventually.

DanDombrowski
09-27-2005, 05:13 PM
balo = brembo?

Scott H
09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
high temp paint on my 850 and M5 brakes and got them pretty hot at the track using performance friction track pads and the paint still looks good. I cleaned the caliper well and used two coats of anti-rust high temp primer. Two coats of high temp anti-rust primer on the rotor hats as well before painting them with black high temp paint. YMMV

Yes, but the heat cracks it off once they get hot; high temperature paint cracks sooner and low temp paint lasts a day. You can see it coming off the Ricer cars as such.

If you drive calmly you can avoid it, but they all go eventually.

Jr ///M5
09-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Yup, like Scott says, high temp paint is the key. Com'n rob....it's a simple extra step and a lot easier if a template is cut from a manila file folder to fit over the hub. As Bill R. always suggests, wash the rotors down with a soap and water solution to get rid of the shipping slime, paint with your favorite color high temp caliper paint and you'll have no rust to contend with.

winfred
09-27-2005, 06:42 PM
all of the factory replacments are going to rust after they are heat cycled a few times

Bill R.
09-27-2005, 07:02 PM
rotors, Its very reasonable at most plating shops to have done, you might want to take one rotor down and get an estimate to see what they want to zinc plate them... that won't affect their ability to shed heat like some paints and coatings might. Some of them also use silver cadmium plating too.. There are also heat transmitting black plating finshes that help to dissipate heat.

i'm going to have to do my rear rotors and pads soon. currently, i have ate rotors. worked great, but the one thing i didn't like about them is the hats of them rust. i'm wondering if this is the same for balo and brembro? i know you can paint the hats before you install them, but i rather eliminate this step if possible. TIA.

liquidtiger720
09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
how come mine have some sort of grey rubbery feeling coating? They have been on for about 2 or 3 years now, and I don't have a spec of rust.

afaik they are oem -what I was told.

shragon
09-27-2005, 10:43 PM
yea, i have ate power discs in the front, those didn't rust one bit. the rear regular ate's where a different story however.

anyway, good idea with a template out of a manila folder jr! i'll just do that. i'm pretty sure i have some high temp silver spray paint in the garage.

thanks everybody for your replies!

SharkmanBMW
09-27-2005, 11:10 PM
rotors, Its very reasonable at most plating shops to have done, you might want to take one rotor down and get an estimate to see what they want to zinc plate them... that won't affect their ability to shed heat like some paints and coatings might. Some of them also use silver cadmium plating too.. There are also heat transmitting black plating finshes that help to dissipate heat.

That's what I was thinking of...!

Paul in NZ
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
my hats are fine its the hub and or the handbrake drum that looks nasty......

winfred
09-28-2005, 06:24 AM
all of the power discs i've had have rusted (4 or 5 sets on different cars)

yea, i have ate power discs in the front, those didn't rust one bit. the rear regular ate's where a different story however

shragon
09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
all of the power discs i've had have rusted (4 or 5 sets on different cars)
wow, that is really strange. i've had my ate power discs since 2003 (my first set) and no rust what so ever.

Jon K
09-28-2005, 08:55 AM
wow, that is really strange. i've had my ate power discs since 2003 (my first set) and no rust what so ever.

They probably do different product runs and feature slightly different processing or materials. I use black high temp, i didnt go crazy with prep work, yet they still look great, no rust!

shragon
09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
hmmm makes me wonder if i should do anything when i plan to do power discs up front again.