PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question re oils !

Zeuk in Oz
09-27-2005, 12:54 AM
Just had to ask.
Every oil thread I read talks about synthetic oil or "dino" oils.
What is the origin of the word "dino" ?
In Oz we call them mineral oils, I think.

Paul in NZ
09-27-2005, 12:55 AM
dinosaur.....

Kakaire
09-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I have noticed you guys mention synthetic oils that I never get to see in ma country :( .. besides Castrol. Main gas dealers in ma country are Shell,Total, Caltex, and I commonly do ma service at Total using their Quartz 7500 brand for the engine and for ma gearbox and power steering I use ATF by Castrol products.

My Indy commonly uses National Oils products.... What do you guys think??

genphreak
09-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Don't stress Kakaire... I'd rather change my oil regualrly (in an old car) than use expensive oil (it gets pretty polluted in in an old engine). Unless you recycle (filter) the oil yourself it is not cost-effective using synthetic oil in an old engine, (yet).

It's worth it in the diff, power steering and gearbox though- as it doesn't get polluted there and you can clean them out properly before putting it in... :) Nick

Paul in NZ
09-27-2005, 03:02 AM
Nick I run my Castrol synthetic oil(which i buy at a BMWCC discount at the stealer) for the full service interval about 12000 km,i would change dino mid service interval,in the meantime my old engine gets excellent start up lubrication,superior protection,andthis works out at about the same cost as dino and less pollution to boot!

genphreak
09-27-2005, 03:12 AM
Nick I run my Castrol synthetic oil(which i buy at a BMWCC discount at the stealer) for the full service interval about 12000 km,i would change dino mid service interval,in the meantime my old engine gets excellent start up lubrication,superior protection,andthis works out at about the same cost as dino and less pollution to boot!I was waiting for someone to tell me my thinking was wrong... at the prices I see it at perhaps it seems too much like liquid gold.

I just like the idea of changing the oil more rather than less often. I guess mineral oil is dirty in itself though. Tx for letting me know Paul, I'm more than happy to be corrected... :)

Zeuk in Oz
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
dinosaur.....
Thanks.
Didn't realise dinosaurs had cars ! (Scratches head). :p

Paul in NZ
09-28-2005, 12:11 AM
the dinosaurs ARE the oil mate...........

Qube
09-28-2005, 06:28 AM
Fossil fuels... from dinosaurs... see the connection? :)

How come I don't see the folks that love synthetics jump on this thread... yet :p

Paul in NZ
09-29-2005, 03:59 AM
you are already to late,see my second post

Qube
09-29-2005, 06:08 AM
you are already to late,see my second post

The key relation word you missed was 'fossil'. That's the connection to the... erm... dinosaurs ;) We don't milk the dinosaurs for their oil heh :D

Zeuk in Oz
09-29-2005, 05:15 PM
The key relation word you missed was 'fossil'. That's the connection to the... erm... dinosaurs ;) We don't milk the dinosaurs for their oil heh :D
That must mean that dinosaur milk is what we run our cars on - what we call petrol and others call gasoline ! :D
That will certainly stop the confusion ! Milk is milk ! :p