PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Front End E34

The Melmaan
09-26-2005, 10:29 PM
My E34 is vibrating between 50-60 and I was told that I have some problems with my front end shocks. I bought from EBay new cartriges of Boge Struts. It just occured to me that since I will be replacing my struts why not lower my front end at the same time.
Is there anybody there that has done what I'm going to do?
Any advise, hints?
Will I have buy new springs, cut short the stock springs, how many turns?
I know that I need to stay away from Bavarian Lowering Springs that bottom out.
Mucha gracias!!!

liquidtiger720
09-26-2005, 10:59 PM
You also need to stay the hell away from cutting your stock springs.

If you are sticking with your boge shocks...i'd say, take your pick with any aftermarket set. ...although, some koni's would have been better.

Take a look at this page to help you make your decision.http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

uscharalph
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
My E34 is vibrating between 50-60 and I was told that I have some problems with my front end shocks. I bought from EBay new cartriges of Boge Struts. It just occured to me that since I will be replacing my struts why not lower my front end at the same time.
Is there anybody there that has done what I'm going to do?
Any advise, hints?
Will I have buy new springs, cut short the stock springs, how many turns?
I know that I need to stay away from Bavarian Lowering Springs that bottom out.
Mucha gracias!!!
Never cut the springs! Do a search on this forum.

The Melmaan
09-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks, a quick question, will the shocks cause my car to vibrate at speeds between 50 to 60mph most specially when I hit pot holes and or pressing on the brakes?

Mendozart
09-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks, a quick question, will the shocks cause my car to vibrate at speeds between 50 to 60mph most specially when I hit pot holes and or pressing on the brakes?
Start with checking wheels/tires, making sure they are balanced. The braking part is most likely thrust arm bushings, but could possibly be warped rotors.

632 Regal
09-28-2005, 09:58 PM
bad struts, off balance wheels or worn front end parts with the thrust arms callind the first look through.

Kalevera
09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Sure, if something else is messed up in the front end, the car will still vibrate.

You know, it's not *really* a good idea to stick lowering springs on stock struts. You'll get much more travel (and wear on the strut inserts) than you bargained for. My .02 says that if you want to make your recent purchase worthwhile, simply stick the stock springs on with the struts. Otherwise, buy sport struts and springs to lower the car. Also, I feel the need to remind you that lowering the car results in more wear on the various replaceable suspension parts. Also, a lowered car kills dying bushings faster and accents dead bushings. So if it hasn't had a front end rebuild in a while, lowering the car will probably merit one a few miles down the road. Hence the need to plan these "projects" before pulling out the visa, but that's another issue for another thread.

best, whit

uscharalph
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Sure, if something else is messed up in the front end, the car will still vibrate.

You know, it's not *really* a good idea to stick lowering springs on stock struts. You'll get much more travel (and wear on the strut inserts) than you bargained for. My .02 says that if you want to make your recent purchase worthwhile, simply stick the stock springs on with the struts. Otherwise, buy sport struts and springs to lower the car. Also, I feel the need to remind you that lowering the car results in more wear on the various replaceable suspension parts. Also, a lowered car kills dying bushings faster and accents dead bushings. So if it hasn't had a front end rebuild in a while, lowering the car will probably merit one a few miles down the road. Hence the need to plan these "projects" before pulling out the visa, but that's another issue for another thread.

best, whit
Good advice Whit!

When I lower my car, I want to do the suspension at the same time. I'll have to save money for it longer, but it'll be worth it.

liquidtiger720
09-28-2005, 10:18 PM

best, whit

Exactly the reason why its a good idea to do the rest while you are in there. You can have your shocks, springs, upper/lower control arms, tie rods, centerlinks, pitman arms, dogbones install in one day (took me and a friend from 10am- which includes dog **** clean up till 6pm to get everything done and knotted up), and save a lot of time and labor.

rockyfeller
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
DAym you guys did all that in 1 day??? Impressed.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-29-2005, 04:34 PM
You can get off cheap, by re torqueing all the mounting bolts on the arms.

Just put in your shocks and lower springs, loosen all the mounting bolts to all of the arms, set the car down, and let it settle in to the lower ride height, then re torque all the mounting bolts at the new height.

This will release any preload caused by the difference in the old height to the new, and save the bushings for a while.

By doing this, you will delay what was mentioned about having to do the rest of the front end shortly after the change, and also avoid the “incredible shrinking car syndrome” as the bushings settle into the lower ride.

The Melmaan
10-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I checked the rotors and they were fine, the bushing are all good. I'm on my third set of wheels and it still doing the freaking shimmy.
Really frustrated, nothing that I do works.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Check tie rods, had your same problem (shimmy at 55 ESPECIALLY on the brakes).

The Melmaan
10-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Have you guys checked this site yet:

http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=ArewevPEtJSMC21rlRBKb6AbFt0A;_ylu=X3oD MTBtNTA5a3RqBF9zAzE0NDg5MTE1BHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=BMW+525i+lowering+springs&did=

The springs looked cheap on a couple of them. I just received my Boge today and I will have them installed this weekend for $120.00 (is that a good a good price) instead of me getting my arms all greased up.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-06-2005, 12:31 AM
$120 is not a bad price to pay IMO.

632 Regal
10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
re-reading through this I'll bet the thrust arm bushings are work out even if they visably look good...

JAlfredPrufrock
10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
I'd really give all three tie rods a good look, I haven't replaced my TA bushings yet but all my braking shimmy at 55mph has went away since replacing the center and two side tie rods.

The Melmaan
10-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Guys,
To close this, I found that the 2 struts are leaking and bad and the rims and tires have some problems. The folks from the shop had lot of problems with it. They tried to balance the tires but when they repeat the balance it is again out.

Kalevera
10-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Guys,
To close this, I found that the 2 struts are leaking and bad and the rims and tires have some problems. The folks from the shop had lot of problems with it. They tried to balance the tires but when they repeat the balance it is again out.
Sounds like they're using a balancer from the 70s, dude. What shop did you take it to?

Have them dismount the suspect tires/wheels. Spin the wheel on the balancer and see if there are any blatant defects (just spin the thing and watch it). My .02 says they don't know how to balance a tire.

It also would be wise to inspect the wheel bearings and check for warped rotors.

best, whit

Incantation
10-19-2005, 12:55 AM
disregard any suggestions that don't begin with thrust arm bushing as recommended first fix. if you are getting vibration between 50-60, that's a CLASSIC e34 problem and it's not going to be anything other than the thrust arm bushings. this is something widely known amongst many users in this forum yet i still see people recommending other fixes.. which won't likely fix that SPECIFIC problem, but perhaps are good ideas to check out if the thrust
arm bushings don't solve your problem.

if you want to lower the car.. do it right. buy both springs and shocks. cutting em.. not the best thing to do, but not nearly as bad as some here would like would like you to think. IT"S THE a DEVIL. no, it's not. bottom line is that it's just a cheap and lame way to get the car lower, and you will sacrifice too many other things (ie performance and wear and tear) in doing it this way.

if you want a nice inexpensive lowering package buy the commonly used SACHS sporting kit. 640 US shipped as advertised on bmwe34.net. i have a set on my avatar below. if u want more pics i'll be happy to email em.

also, chances are both the springs and shocks are blown on your car and replacing them will breathe new life into the handling and feel of it.

Incantation
10-19-2005, 12:58 AM
haha.. as always whit is on the mark.. if they are getting different reading they either:
a) don't know how to use a balance
b) want to sucker you into thinking you need to buy new rims/tires
c) both

The Melmaan
10-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Thanks Guys,
Whit - the balancer that they are using is a Hunter, none the less I saw it myself that they balance the tires and take them to Zero, dis-mount and then re-mount re-balance and it goes out of balance. It is a spooky thing. The tires are Kumho 245x45x17 and the rims are Allesseo (Italian - does it mean anything?).
INC - will it be the lower or the upper thrust or both. I'm considering replacing the bushings with Delrin, is this advisable?
The ride is now lots better but still have that very minute vibration bet 50 - 60.
It will not be soon if I will lower the car because of Uncle Sam's Property Tax.

JAlfredPrufrock
10-24-2005, 04:30 AM
Tie rods?

Shimmy under braking?

If you haven't checked out my earlier posts you may want to check out the tie rods.

Like I said, my car used to have very bad shimmy under braking problems and I haven't replaced the TA bushings yet, I've only done the tie rods (all three) and all of my shimmying has went away.

632 Regal
10-24-2005, 11:42 AM
they HAVE to center the wheel from the back side, not the 5 prong deal inserted into the bolt holes or from the center of the front side. These guys have 20k worth of junk when they dont know how to use it. The guy that did my wheels (**** job to boot) said he was "trained" by the sales rep for 30 minutes...wow. it took me longer to read the correct process to balance tires. Any tire that cannot be zeroed in within .25 ounces are defective tires. I was sporting 4.5 oz on one wheel and 3.5 on another...these guys are professionals huh? You can go to the hunter site and read the correct way to balance tires but it doesnt matter cause they wont let you use the machine yourself and when you watch them jokers you will just get mad as hell cause you'll know more than they do. Runout within spec? WTF the tire is f*ckin almost square a$$hole!!!!

sorry rant is over.

Thanks Guys,
Whit - the balancer that they are using is a Hunter, none the less I saw it myself that they balance the tires and take them to Zero, dis-mount and then re-mount re-balance and it goes out of balance. It is a spooky thing. The tires are Kumho 245x45x17 and the rims are Allesseo (Italian - does it mean anything?).
INC - will it be the lower or the upper thrust or both. I'm considering replacing the bushings with Delrin, is this advisable?
The ride is now lots better but still have that very minute vibration bet 50 - 60.
It will not be soon if I will lower the car because of Uncle Sam's Property Tax.

Larry Looney
11-22-2005, 03:08 PM
Check the tires. I had Kumho's 245x45x17's. Not a good tire. Also do you have hubcentric rings?