PDA

View Full Version : obc lights

jim
09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi folks, my obc panel illumination is out, although I can still get a display on the speedometer panel by depressing the stalk inward. It seems the functions are working, just not displaying on the obc. I have searched the posts, but didn't find what I was looking for with regards to this problem. Is the problem the bulb(s)? How many bulbs are there and is it normal to lose them all at once? Difficult to replace? Everything was fine yesterday, but today, no display.

It's a 1990 525i (mfg 3/90). Any advice is appreciated.

thanks,
jim

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
[http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/panel_lights.htm

pretty easy job.

replace all three lights for good luck

Randell
09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
make sure the bulbs you get are exactly as pictured on the link Blitzkrieg Bob gave you... when i replaced the bulbs the dealer gave me three 6v bulbs, which were smaller and were green instead of black.. worked for about 2 weeks before they overheated and burnt out

the black ones are 12v

liquidtiger720
09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
those boogers are expensive. SFbmw wanted 6 bucks per bulb!

uscharalph
09-26-2005, 11:05 PM
make sure the bulbs you get are exactly as pictured on the link Blitzkrieg Bob gave you... when i replaced the bulbs the dealer gave me three 6v bulbs, which were smaller and were green instead of black.. worked for about 2 weeks before they overheated and burnt out

the black ones are 12v
The green ones burn way too hot and can melt stuff!

Javier
09-27-2005, 04:01 AM
Javier

genphreak
09-27-2005, 05:00 AM
The green ones burn way too hot and can melt stuff!Wouldn't it be cool to have an LED conversion. I wonder how the dash would look driven by various different ultra brights, such as UV, Red, Orange... I love BMW red, but my dash lighting is a tad orange (in its old age?)...

jim
09-27-2005, 07:13 AM
Wouldn't it be cool to have an LED conversion. I wonder how the dash would look driven by various different ultra brights, such as UV, Red, Orange... I love BMW red, but my dash lighting is a tad orange (in its old age?)...

I'll get the correct bulbs replaced straightaway..appreciate the feedback.

thanks,
jim