PDA

View Full Version : cracked seats

pyro
09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Ok after some searching iv come up with 3 options (let me know if there is more)

Option 1 is leatherique crack filler and dye. my only issue with that how durible is it? and id be affraid of (ghettoing it) I know alot of people have used it so some opinions would be great. Someone told me it turns out good for the first year and after it starts to crap out...

Option 2 is this guys idea:

http://www.leatherseats.com/
There may be others that others may suggest.i have no affiliation with this company nor have I ordered anything from them. The application lists them as '500' series.
HTH
Mike
Last but not least
Option 3 is a reapulstry shop. My question is here how much does it cost and how good does it match? do they do the repair (similiar to leatherique)

BTW its only my front seat bottoms the backs are fine after i leatheriqued them.

RobPatt
09-26-2005, 05:22 PM
if take the seat apart, it's not too bad to take off the leather/cushion from the seat frames... i mean takes some time and progress carefully, but certainly can be done... help to get some hogring ( i think that's what they're called ) plyers to disconnect the leather covering from the foam core.

long story short, could just remove leather cover. if torn on the seam, could resew yourself, else take to a upholstry (sp?) shop to have a new piece put in... if you got the colorplus or leatherique, you can redye to match....just redye the entire seat at the same time... once you get the leather off the seat it's really easy for a shop to put in new leather...

i didn't go to a shop, but mine wasn't that bad, was able to clean up a lot w/sandpaper and light LIGHT filler (the putty stuff you talked about)... and if you don't sand too smoothly you get a wee bit of that original texture and doesn't make the dye job look too glossy.

my advice, pull the leather off the seat... hogring plyers make it go back on easier, but a pair or 2 of long needlenose and you can do it.

cheers,Rob sends....

Kalevera
09-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Dude, okay....I've written a bunch of posts condemning Leatherique for their redye and crack filling products -- do a search, it's all there. If you've used the stuff before, you probably know what to expect. I gave up on mine and pulled a set of seats out of one of our parts cars. Made driving the car 100% more enjoyable.

Here's what I'd do: get on eBay and buy a set of seats from Bobby Thrash. The dude is currently listing about 10 million of them, most in excellent condition (and even a very rare set of 540/6 sport seats) and his shipping is reasonable at ~ $150. Most of his inventory is from southern cars, so sun damage becomes a concern. Or, Bret Luter has a few of them in good or excellent condition.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
the crack fill sucks, it's like OK if you want to sell your car in a hurry and dont care about reputation. Mine lasted a year (barley) and looks like crap again. I was quoted 500 each front seat for a new cover but was guaranteed that it wouldnt all match unless I replaced ALL of them including the rear seat...which led me to thing how would it match the rest of the interior. I got a swift reply that it isn't guaranteed.

uscharalph
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Ok after some searching iv come up with 3 options (let me know if there is more)

Option 1 is leatherique crack filler and dye. my only issue with that how durible is it? and id be affraid of (ghettoing it) I know alot of people have used it so some opinions would be great. Someone told me it turns out good for the first year and after it starts to crap out...

Option 2 is this guys idea:

Last but not least
Option 3 is a reapulstry shop. My question is here how much does it cost and how good does it match? do they do the repair (similiar to leatherique)

BTW its only my front seat bottoms the backs are fine after i leatheriqued them.
I got quotes from a local shop for seat bottoms only: $175 per in synthetic leather; $275 per in leather.