PDA

View Full Version : Hood insulation.

emw525E34
09-26-2005, 01:05 AM
Guys,
Most of our E34 has really serious hood insulation. I was wondering, does it really need it ?. I see that the new E90 model has zero insulation under the hood panel, so I am considering "lightening" the car by removing this insulation.

Any advise on any adverse effects of removal ?. Like would the paint peel due to the excess heat ?. Or would the paint discolor ?. Which would be just as bad ?. :(

genphreak
09-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Guys,
Most of our E34 has really serious hood insulation. I was wondering, does it really need it ?. I see that the new E90 model has zero insulation under the hood panel, so I am considering "lightening" the car by removing this insulation.

Any advise on any adverse effects of removal ?. Like would the paint peel due to the excess heat ?. Or would the paint discolor ?. Which would be just as bad ?. :( Without a hood pad your is sonically transparent - all the valve clatter will sound out loud everywhere you go. :p I guess its not considered too flash for a BMW by most...

shogun
09-26-2005, 01:17 AM
Have you ever checked the weight of the hood insulation?
I have removed it just from my E32 parts car 750iL last Saturday.
As a rough guess I believe it is less than 2 kg.
That is not much 'lightening'.
Maybe you look into your trunk and remove all the stuff you carry around in your car. That will help much more.

genphreak
09-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Have you ever checked the weight of the hood insulation?
I have removed it just from my E32 parts car 750iL last Saturday.
As a rough guess I believe it is less than 2 kg.
That is not much 'lightening'.
Maybe you look into your trunk and remove all the stuff you carry around in your car. That will help much more.My tool kit is so heavy I can barely lift it, but the e34 doesn't have this problem, it just burns more fuel carting it round for me. It's definately time i took out the CD changer I never use since it weighs a kg or 2. Not to mention the tow bar; all this losing me valuable seconds at every set of lights! LOL

Reuben Lim
09-26-2005, 05:29 AM
When I got the car, didn't have hood insulation for first year I had it, costs so much to get it new from the dealer, so jumped at some original E34 insulation from parted-out hood a guy was selling. Engine noise was remarkably dampened, patch of slight discoloration on the hood from shoddy touchup by the previous owner also stopped growing. And as I recall, the insulation weight was negligible.

Alexlind123
09-26-2005, 06:52 AM
It sounds like i could do with some insulation. I did see the price from the dealer awhile back and it is hideously expensive, maybe there is some generic hood insulation somwhere. And if youre not using that cd-changer...

emw525E34
09-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Alright, guys I will leave it there!. Just ditched that big woofer I got. Thats a few kilos for sure. Thanks all.

Qsilver7
09-26-2005, 09:49 AM
BTW, the new BMWs do away with the padded hood insulation...because the engines are covered with "accoustical" panels now. ;)

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-26-2005, 03:17 PM
That's one of the first thigs I did to both my 535 e34's. It was sagging and looked terrible. I removed it, and I never looked back, never encountered any discoloration (66k miles later) and never was concerned about valve clatter. I rather enjoy hearing the engine. Any other insulation I can remove?

632 Regal
09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
LOL...take out the trunk insulation and rear seat?

Any other insulation I can remove?

SharkmanBMW
09-26-2005, 03:41 PM
That's one of the first thigs I did to both my 535 e34's. It was sagging and looked terrible. I removed it, and I never looked back, never encountered any discoloration (66k miles later) and never was concerned about valve clatter. I rather enjoy hearing the engine. Any other insulation I can remove?

I took it out in hopes I would hear my V8 howl!

jjw
09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
I did. I removed all the trim pieces in the trunk and the rear seat, both the bottom and back, plus the mat between the seat back and trunk, for autox. The car handle way better then before. Although it is too loud when driving on the freeway. If it is not too much work, I would take the rear carpet + insulater as well.