PDA

View Full Version : How much fluid in power steering system?

bfd
09-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I have a 90 535i, 5 spd, 102K. The hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump is leaking. I plan to replace the hose. The reservoir states to use only ATF oil.

However, since I will be basically draining the reservoir and part, if not all, of the pump, how much ATF fluid do I need? It looks like 1 quart would be enough? Thanks!

shogun
09-25-2005, 10:53 PM
1.2 Liter according to the online info from AEAL, Germany
http://www.schmierstoff-basics.de/forschung/schmierstoffe/allgemeines/00.html

emw525E34
09-26-2005, 01:17 AM
Hi Shogun,

My E34 is using CHF 11s which I believe is pentosin. Can I flush that out and replace with ATF completely ???. That CHS stuff is expensive and ATF is cheaper. Would the system is only built for CHF and not ATF ?. Pls advise. Thx.

JAlfredPrufrock
09-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Hi Shogun,

My E34 is using CHF 11s which I believe is pentosin. Can I flush that out and replace with ATF completely ???. That CHS stuff is expensive and ATF is cheaper. Would the system is only built for CHF and not ATF ?. Pls advise. Thx.

I wouldn't cheap out... BMWs in particular seem to like their prescribed fluids.

BM-BOY
09-26-2005, 02:09 AM
ATF is for cars WITHOUT self levelling suspension. If it states use only CHF, then only use CHF.

shogun
09-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Do NOT use other oil as specified. I know of a lot of cases where people with LAD used by mistake ATF and they had a lot of trouble. Leaking gaskets etc.
If you use the search on roadfly E32 board for this you will find a lot of info.
Even some BMW without LAD need Pentosin CHF. For example the E32 730V8 has Pentosin, because the power steering pump is a different type. And that is also in your car the case.
Will be a costly trial.

emw525E34
09-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks. Pentosin it is then. Yes, I did recall the pump design. Don't know which is better but I am sure the ATF powered steering wheel is LIGHTER than the Pentosin one. At least in my experience. Kinda like the meatiness of the steering rather than the Honda-like feather weight!.
Thanks all. Shogun. Appreciated.

Kalevera
09-26-2005, 05:50 PM
BFD --

Buy three quarts of ATF. Flush the system with one, fill the system with another, keep a third in case anything comes up.

I've outlined the process for flushing the system a number of times over the past few months. A search on the matter should produce the process...

On using the correct fluid: read my recent thread on the clown who stuck the wrong stuff in his 525.

best, whit

bfd
09-27-2005, 02:13 PM
BFD --

Buy three quarts of ATF. Flush the system with one, fill the system with another, keep a third in case anything comes up.

I've outlined the process for flushing the system a number of times over the past few months. A search on the matter should produce the process...

On using the correct fluid: read my recent thread on the clown who stuck the wrong stuff in his 525.

best, whit

Thanks for everyone's response. One last question, If my car requires Dexron II ATF fluid, would putting in Dexron III hurt anything or do I need to find Dexron II? Thanks again.

MBXB
09-27-2005, 07:02 PM
CHF 11S is not interchangeable. as far as I know.

Hi Shogun,

Kalevera
09-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Nope, dexron III is backwards compatible with II. I don't even think II can be bought anymore.

best, whit

Mendozart
09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Nope, dexron III is backwards compatible with II. I don't even think II can be bought anymore.

best, whit
So I had a pinhole leak in the hose that goes from the pump to the gear box, car started to groan as I was turning because of the low fluid. I looked up the hose at BMA, $170.00. Then I called Mesa Performance and they wanted $180.00 ( So.Cal ). They didn't have it in stock, but referred me to Mesa Hose Co. I ended up having the hose rebuilt, they reuse the ends, for $40.00. They did an awesome job! I was wondering if anyone had done this, as I've never heard of this before?