PDA

View Full Version : SLIGHTLY OT: Modifications to your car and insurance

mattyb
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I have had a lot of cases lately involving reduced and non payouts because of unspecified mods to cars. With all the great mods u guys are allways doing such as wheels and body kits it would be a shame if something happened and u were not compensated for loss. It happens all the time and whenever im interviewing a claimant and the claim sheet specs dont tally with the claimants version of the vehicle i feel very sad, being a car lover in general. So if u have recently done any work of value with upgraded parts, wheels tryes, body kits, engine work etc do yourself a favour and write it all down, keep you receipts, take photos and advise your insurance company of the value and mods. Its the differance between getting the car back that u lost or had damaged or the one where u start all over again possibly with out the dosh u had spent along the way. There are too many examples to give but do ask if u have specific situation.

brodee
09-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Good advise. I work for an insurance company and I would second the idea of sending copies of receipts to your agent as soon as you buy major things for the car. Also send them updated pictures of the car. According to law in most states all contact with the insured has to be documented so when you send these things to them it gets put in your file.

Luckily I'm the IT guy for the agency where I'm insured. I actually scan receipts and attach them to my own file in the system. I also have many detailed pics of the car in my file so if anything were to happen I can prove how the cars looked. Doesn't hurt that my agent sees the car on a daily basis :)

mattyb
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm a sub contract investigator so i only have go out and investigate the clients brief and not have to determine the outcome, that would be a bitch of a job. How often do you see people updating their details? especially infringements for speeding etc in australia these are the duty of disclosure elements that usually get claims declined even though the circumstances are legit.

genphreak
09-25-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm a sub contract investigator so i only have go out and investigate the clients brief and not have to determine the outcome, that would be a bitch of a job. How often do you see people updating their details? especially infringements for speeding etc in australia these are the duty of disclosure elements that usually get claims declined even though the circumstances are legit. Good thread Mattyb. Thanks for the free advice- a lot of people mess this up. Seriously I never knew a speeding fine needed to be reported to your insurer (can't remember those Ts&Cs now...) is that seriosuly how anal things have become? What about other 'infringements'? What happens if they suspend your license due to non-payment of parking fines for example? TIA, :) Nick

Zeuk in Oz
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
How often do you see people updating their details? especially infringements for speeding etc in australia these are the duty of disclosure elements that usually get claims declined even though the circumstances are legit.
To slightly divert your thread, my understanding is that this also applies to modifications, especially to tyres and wheels.
As far as I am aware if the tyres you are running do not comply with the "tyre placard" attached to the B pillar at the drivers door on my E34 here in Oz, then the insurance companies can refuse to pay out on the claim.
What I have been led to believe is that even speed and load ratings need to be adhered to or else a new tyre placard needs to be attached to the car.
There is apparently 1 speed or load graduation leeway sometimes given but that is just about it.
This means that driving with H rated tyres when the placard says V could void the insurance.
I investigated this at length when I bought a new Toyota Landcruiser (horrible car) 4 years ago. I (being anal) chose to opt for better tyres than the standard Dunlop Grandtreks. This led to the dealer fitting S rated Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts when the placard said T rating was required.
To cut a long story short, my insurance company went into bat for me and we pressured the dealer into putting T rated Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts on, which by the way are a much better tyre on road.
By this time I had spoken at length to the RTA (State traffic authority), the insurance company and my motorist association.
It left me in no doubt that unless I have approval at every level to change them my cars will remain stock with respect to such obvious things as wheels and tyres.
This situation might have changed by now, but I doubt it.

uscharalph
09-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I have had a lot of cases lately involving reduced and non payouts because of unspecified mods to cars. With all the great mods u guys are allways doing such as wheels and body kits it would be a shame if something happened and u were not compensated for loss. It happens all the time and whenever im interviewing a claimant and the claim sheet specs dont tally with the claimants version of the vehicle i feel very sad, being a car lover in general. So if u have recently done any work of value with upgraded parts, wheels tryes, body kits, engine work etc do yourself a favour and write it all down, keep you receipts, take photos and advise your insurance company of the value and mods. Its the differance between getting the car back that u lost or had damaged or the one where u start all over again possibly with out the dosh u had spent along the way. There are too many examples to give but do ask if u have specific situation.
Good advice!

mattyb
09-26-2005, 01:03 AM
every year when your renewal is sent out they ask if any thing has changed regarding your duty of disclosure. the insurance company charges you what they do based on what you tell them. obviously a young person with a poor history is a greater risk and they charge more or dont even cover them. when u make a claim some times u r investigated or rather the circumstances of your loss are. you will in most cases be asked to obtain a copy of your rta driving history for the investigator. if this matches up with what the pi has then no worries. if it doesnt then be prepared to explain why. this has been the case for many years, most people disregard, fail to comply cause they are worried about the price or just dont read the renewal policy. if u go now a nd get your insurance paperwork and read duty of disclosure, have a think about what u need to tell them if anything. if u make a claim and your history is not up to date youll be in shite.this is only if an investigation occurs. certain "triggers" apply to cause investigation but its not worth the risk. youd be amazed at the stuff i get to deal with.

mattyb
09-26-2005, 01:05 AM
great example of insurance company working for you.

genphreak
09-26-2005, 01:28 AM
every year when your renewal is sent out they ask... certain "triggers" apply to cause investigation but its not worth the risk. youd be amazed at the stuff i get to deal with. Yes that's a good way to operate. I never thought they cared about minor misdemeanours or even speeding fines, just disqualifications,then again, I may not be up to date on their scrutiny of drivers... just hoped you might know what was (generally) in the DoD.

Thanks Mattyb, you must get some interesting ones in your job.

I heard of a mate of a mate that did some dumb s*** w an insurance company. It was a giant waste of time for him and them. I'd hate to be the cause of a waste of time anywhere (except in these forums :D). Then again, he was a dumb s***. Peeps that rip off ICs are simply lost causes. One's record speaks of oneself and one owes it too much to others near dear and far not to take it seriously... :) Nick

JAlfredPrufrock
09-26-2005, 01:49 AM
My insurance is already way too high and I would consider the car a total loss if it got into a good fender bender anyway.

Thanks for the thought though.

Paul in NZ
09-26-2005, 01:55 AM
Peeps that rip off ICs are simply lost causes. One's record speaks of oneself and one owes it too much to others near dear and far not to take it seriously... Nick

the trouble is Nick the other people(ie us) are the ones who end up payin when someone rips of an Ic.when i bought my car i made sure the insurance company knew about the "non factory" wheels and tyres.It was my broker though that first bought the matter of "modifications" to my attention....

genphreak
09-26-2005, 02:32 AM
True that Paul. I thought here in Aus it was actually illegal for a tyre-fitter to fit incorrect tyres on a car as it is a safety issue.

Surely their own Public Liability (I doubt any of them have Professional Indemnity insurance) insurers would have plenty to say about the issue should they find out. Similarly an exhaust shop won't remove your cat as this is an illegal act and has penalties under the Environmental Protection Act.

I always thought the financial effect of losing one's insurance when some customer hits a pothole with their new chromified 20" rims, blows a 40 series tyre and proceeds to clean up all the people on the nearby pavement prevented this.

Obviously not... I wonder why not? There are clearly thousands of cars out there with (illegal) rim and tyre combinations, let alone uninsured ones... :| Nick

Zeuk in Oz
09-27-2005, 12:50 AM
I wonder why not?
? Blissful ignorance ?