PDA

View Full Version : Depo parts

t_marat
09-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Are depo bmw parts are worth buying? Did anybody use them before? Especially the anel eyes headlights?

rockyfeller
09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
plenty said about this.....search the forum

uscharalph
09-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Are depo bmw parts are worth buying? Did anybody use them before? Especially the anel eyes headlights?
Stay with Hella.

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 01:13 PM
I have depo clears and fogs... the fogs need to be sealed before you put them on or theyll fill up with water, the tail light clears are simply garbage...the lights work intermittantly and break real easy when trying to replace the bulbs...which may or may not work.

E34 530
09-25-2005, 06:49 PM
I have Depo tails and clear corners. Like 632 said, the tails are pretty crappy. The weather seals pealed off when I put them on. The assembly plug assembly is also very cheap. Be careful when connnecting the power source!!! The front clears are alright, but the weather seal is much heavier and bulky. Looks alright, but isn't flush with fenders. They were both cheap and look quite good, but you get what you paid for.

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Well I guess it's time you refresh your sig pic with the clears.

I have Depo tails and clear corners. Like 632 said, the tails are pretty crappy. The weather seals pealed off when I put them on. The assembly plug assembly is also very cheap. Be careful when connnecting the power source!!! The front clears are alright, but the weather seal is much heavier and bulky. Looks alright, but isn't flush with fenders. They were both cheap and look quite good, but you get what you paid for.

Reuben Lim
09-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Stay away from the angel eyes. A month ago I posted about this hairline crack on the 4-mth old depot angel eyes I ordered, put some crazy glue and silicon to stabilize the crack, ordered some headlight protectors but before they came this has now spread all around the the edges. Another guy on this forum experienced the exact same thing. The rear clears seem ok, but the angel eyes are definitely a pass. Am seeing what I can do to replace the lens with those from an old headlight, but that's an iffy proposition at best. Hellas are more expensive, but they are definitely higher quality judging from the gear I've gotten from them. Cheers!

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Reubin this is a definitive answer that I am grateful that you posted. The anal eyes are a no go and the rest is quite questionable.

Stay away from the angel eyes. A month ago I posted about this hairline crack on the 4-mth old depot angel eyes I ordered, put some crazy glue and silicon to stabilize the crack, ordered some headlight protectors but before they came this has now spread all around the the edges. Another guy on this forum experienced the exact same thing. The rear clears seem ok, but the angel eyes are definitely a pass. Am seeing what I can do to replace the lens with those from an old headlight, but that's an iffy proposition at best. Hellas are more expensive, but they are definitely higher quality judging from the gear I've gotten from them. Cheers!

liquidtiger720
09-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Depo euro projectors = crap. Ask me how I know. haha. I'm just hoping some preventive measure keep em good. Silcone sealant in all the places I could get to, and some lamin-x.

Reuben Lim
09-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Yup Jeff, that pretty much sums up Depo's anal eyes. The rear clears I got from them also needed soldering work on the connectors before they worked reliably.Too bad on the angel eyes, because they look great (before the cracks) and the h1s throw a pretty decent beam...You gets what u pay for, amen to that! It's a shame that these guys don't come up with better quality stuff. Wouldn't have cost that much more to produce reliable gear, I think. Some people are too greedy, or don't take enough pride in their work...

liquidtiger720
09-25-2005, 11:09 PM
do you think anybody just sell a hella replacement lens? hehehe.

genphreak
09-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Both Depo and Hella glue them on irrepairably from what I can see... is it lexan glue, does anyone know?

(Lexan is the stuff people glue acrylic (ie perspex) with)..

Is there any way to get it off without rending the living daylights out of the light frame? I reckon it'd be near impossible to get teh lens off cleanly, even if you could buy a new one..

liquidtiger720
09-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Both Depo and Hella glue them on irrepairably from what I can see... is it lexan glue, does anyone know?

(Lexan is the stuff people glue acrylic (ie perspex) with)..

Is there any way to get it off without rending the living daylights out of the light frame? I reckon it'd be near impossible to get teh lens off cleanly, even if you could buy a new one..

I thought people liked to bake off the lenses?

Yumm, baked headlights.

genphreak
09-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Hmmm good suggestion... I when I get a spare I'll give it a go in the oven and let you know...

Reuben Lim
09-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Will know this week, may just sacrifice my old working US projectors to get the lenses for this project, they cast such an ineffectual dim beam anyways, or will look for an equivalent lens. Cheers!

Reuben Lim
09-27-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't know what glue they use for the lens but it sure is strong, took half a day to remove the lenses from my old hella us headlights and swap this on the cracked depo angel eyes dim headlight. Acetylene at back, close enough to sweat the plastic off of the old lenses, then sharp hacksaw blades, sharp pair of large scissors to pick at the glue, including the effing ones sealing the inside, an agonizing job. Then scraped out the old crap on the housing and the lens, black silicon sealant inside and at the edges, then popped the stainless housing back on.

The results are pretty good though, will have to swap out the lens on the right side too as the hellas have a corrugated pattern while the depos don't have any. Light output seems pretty much the same. Will not replace the brights lenses, tempted to do that as the corrugated hellas look prettier to me, but the procedure is really hard!