PDA

View Full Version : My "Daily Driver" Acquisition - 1991 535i

Sweet535i
09-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Hello all, Steve here. Let me introduce myself and thank all who contribute to this forum. Before registering today I found solutions (I hope) to two minor problems with my 1991 535i (twisted seatback problem & auto shifter cover replacement). There is nothing like enthusiasts (oftentimes aka "fellow sufferor's") passing along their wisdom and lessons-learned to help others. Much appreciation to all of you who take the time and effort to do so.

Yesterday...picked up my "project car"...Brilliant Red, black leather interior, autotranny, 118k miles. Just about every option available sans traction control (ASC). Engine/trans/drive-train seems to be solid and running smoothly. Cafaxed and came up clean but for one minor accident - sole owner since new, mechanically well maintained but looks like a parking lot battle scarred warrior. Must be at least a dozen dings....sigh. Aftermarket rims suck, no-name tires..they'll have to go...soon. Of course I didn't set out to find and acquire a project car, just a reasonably priced daily driver. Have always, enjoyed the 5-series cars (have owned two E36 M3s) but this is my first 5'er. Bottom-line...this car is too darn nice not to straighten out cosmetically...I'm even contemplating a repaint! What have I done?!?!?

I can just imagine her with shiny red paint...gleaming chrome wheels with some fat-ass tires....some "daily driver" huh? Ah...am I nuts or what?? I think the 911 is getting a tad jealous...

Randell
09-25-2005, 06:59 AM
hi Steve, i'm one of the few red e34 owners here... not a favorite color amongst this lot, but painting all the black bits red improves the look of the red e34 to no end. have a look at the second post here http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13746&page=3&pp=10 to see what i mean.. maybe put that one on your list of things to do?

Sweet535i
09-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks, great looking car! I've got a looooong way to go...

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey steve, post some pictures if you can!

SharkmanBMW
09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey steve, post some pictures if you can!

post some pics of your 911 as well!

also, these days, there are many "dent guys" that can remove dings quite easily with great results and no paint damage.
That may be the way to go for you... I had a WRX done with about 8-10 and it cost about $150 canadian!!!

Sweet535i
09-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Spent much of the day tearing out old window tint and gave her a good old fashioned cleaning...and still more to do. Even found the jack that the PO thought was lost...tells you what a good size trunk these things have...not used to this kind of space back there. Thought about snapping some shots but it got dark before she was even halfway presentable. I suppose the first photos will serve as the "Before" that I will happily (at some distant point) compare against the "After". I'll try to post them tomorrow.

I've had a few dents pulled in the past on other vehicles and may go that way again. Trying to think of how best to approach this before a paint job..although not until next year probably at the earliest. I suppose getting the dings worked is better than having the body shop do it in prep for painting...hmmm..

Now headlight and foglights needed to get her through VA inspection - priority #1. Then new wheels and tires...what are on now are appalling and I had to get past them to see the car. Just that alone will make a massive inprovement. Of course choosing wheels with all the choices out there...wow. Gotta go reasonable though or I shoot any semblance of daily driver right out of her.

Man..my back hurts...

More to come!

Trying the 911 pics here but it tells me file is too large. I'll try and figure that out later...geez.

post some pics of your 911 as well!

also, these days, there are many "dent guys" that can remove dings quite easily with great results and no paint damage.
That may be the way to go for you... I had a WRX done with about 8-10 and it cost about $150 canadian!!!

McWatters
09-25-2005, 06:13 PM
wow 119 000 klicks i really wish i found this low click 535i's. haha ah well. my 340 000 something will do

cheers

J.McWatters

Sweet535i
09-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Wow...how much work so far to keep her humming that long???

McWatters
09-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Couldnt Tell ya, really wish i could

Aquired her last year

Only thing that ive had to do is fix an broken hoze clamp for the radiator, o and the ac was broken.

The previous owner was a mechanic soo im assuming he kept good care of tha baby

Cheers

J.McWatters

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey Steve to post pictures its best to host them somewhere on the net and click the add picture link in the reply fields. You can even host them here on the site somewhere, think its the gallery?

genphreak
09-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Steve, welcome!

Yes the trunk is a surprise to all new e34 owners, and old ones that lack an overly adventourous spirit! I remember thinking that secret compartment under the carpet was a great place to hide an an automatic assault rifle on the odd sojourn to or from East Germany. Where I live there is no need to run arms accross the border... :D Nick

BTW; Have you found the correct mounting point for the newly found jack (up high in the RH quarter panel)? Did you find it in the under the floor in 'the e34's secret armoury' as mentioned above?

uscharalph
09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
You should snap some pictures ASAP for before / after. I never got to them and regret it.

Sweet535i
09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Thank you! In fact I did find it under the carpet against the back of the rear seat...had to laugh! I did find th elocation but have not yet determined how to mount it exactly. Will refer to the manual...it certainly isn't intuitive...

Will try and host photos and transfer them if I can figure that out.

Steve, welcome!

Yes the trunk is a surprise to all new e34 owners, and old ones that lack an overly adventourous spirit! I remember thinking that secret compartment under the carpet was a great place to hide an an automatic assault rifle on the odd sojourn to or from East Germany. Where I live there is no need to run arms accross the border... :D Nick

BTW; Have you found the correct mounting point for the newly found jack (up high in the RH quarter panel)? Did you find it in the under the floor in 'the e34's secret armoury' as mentioned above?

mattyb
09-27-2005, 03:44 AM
hey randell ,red is growing on me the more i see it