PDA

View Full Version : change the valve stem seals on E34/M60

Rahimseven
09-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Is there any guidence on changing valve stem seals? I get puffs of grey smoke every time I start the car and after reading I feel it's the oil seals. Any DIY help out there?undefinedundefinedundefined

pundit
09-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Is there any guidence on changing valve stem seals? I get puffs of grey smoke every time I start the car and after reading I feel it's the oil seals. Any DIY help out there?
Is your M60 a nikisil or alusil block?

infinity5
09-24-2005, 08:05 PM
Is there any guidence on changing valve stem seals? I get puffs of grey smoke every time I start the car and after reading I feel it's the oil seals. Any DIY help out there?undefinedundefinedundefined
i need to do those too, but i doubt it's easy.

step one: remove cylinder heads
step two: cry
step three: remove cam shafts and whatnot?
step four: use special tool to remove stem seals

yeah, i have no idea but i'd guess that's about what you do. I think winferd said he could do it without removing the cylinder heads, but i imagine it's a lot "harder" that way, in terms of space.

If you could change them with the cam shafts still attached it'd be easy, like on the M70 ;), but i think our DOHC's ruin any hope of it being easy and simple.

infinity5
09-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Oh, and by the way, check out this write up about changing the valve stem seals on am M70, its very very interesting.

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/

on the left side, there should be some menus, just navigate till you find it.

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I have never heard of doing this on a M60 especially with that fresh of an engine...dino oil pays off again? Do a compression test at least before you do anything.

Probably the PCP valve is all clogged dumping raw oil into the intake.

winfred
09-24-2005, 08:47 PM
yea another vote on the breather valve on the back of the intake being dead, it's replacement has been documented several times here a search should bring you up to speed

Rahimseven
09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks I'll look into those possibilities first.