View Full Version : Battery question

Shankster
09-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Replaced the dying battery in the pumpkymobile (95 540) today. Got a Duralast 49-DL battery from Autozone per the board recommendation. However-

The battery holddown is right over the vent on the battery. Do you trim the bit that comes in the kit with the battery so it sits more flush/not compressed by the holddown?

Kalevera
09-24-2005, 06:09 PM
It's a tight fit, but work around it. The clamp shouldn't restrict the vent tubing.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 08:49 PM
vent?...tubing???? Hope I dont flip my car.

uscharalph
09-24-2005, 10:22 PM
I hope you don't either Jeff!

howardc64
09-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Replaced the dying battery in the pumpkymobile (95 540) today. Got a Duralast 49-DL battery from Autozone per the board recommendation. However-

The battery holddown is right over the vent on the battery. Do you trim the bit that comes in the kit with the battery so it sits more flush/not compressed by the holddown?

Not sure of the battery compartment on yours is same as mine. Just put this exact battery in my 92 535i. Just enough clearance and the vent tube isn't compressed by holddown.

Kalevera
09-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Actually, the real fun with the 49D is the positive cap, which continually pops off due to the multiple leads running from various locations off of the body harness positive terminal. The thing should, theoretically, be capped. While reinstalling the pass side rear power seat on an E32 a few weeks back, I managed to momentarily ground out the battery because of a missing positive cap -- silly owner had destroyed the seat base by using force instead of a brain to remove it. That's a rare occurence, but still par for this course.

best, whit

shogun
09-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Lowell,
I tried to install a 100AH battery under the pass rear seat of my Highline. Instead of the standard height of 175 mm it is 190 mm. It does not fit all all, cannot get the seat properly fixed. Tried with a connector extension and slightly moving the battery in the tight space, no chance at all. Have to sell the battery again. It fits however on E32 with non electric seats, there is a bit more space.

Qsilver7
09-25-2005, 03:25 AM

You could...but I wouldn't/didn't "trim the bit (I assume you mean the tip that attaches to the battery's nipple) that comes in the kit"? When you insert the vent tube over the battery's vent hole...just make sure that it is pushed up on the battery as far as it can go. The hold down bar does look like it may pinch the hose...but it kind of rises upward over that area of the battery...just be careful that you are not pinching the hose against the battery and you'll be fine. :)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_83_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_85_full.jpg

Qsilver7
09-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Oh my...I hope you're not saying your battery is NOT hooked up to the vent hose...that could be disasterous! :p

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_79_full.jpg

The battery can explode if the gases it gives off can't escape...here's what happened to an e38 owner whose battery (in the trunk) wasn't connected to the vent hose...you don't want to have to neutralize all that corrosive battery (acid) fluid that gets flung when the battery explodes: :(

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/feaqs/original/batt.jpg

SRR2
09-25-2005, 04:37 AM
If they didn't give you one with the battery (which they should have), there's a kit available with a right-angle adapter that fits under the hold-down without pinching.