PDA

View Full Version : A failing brake system of the mouth does NOT a Major Contributor make

Gayle
09-24-2005, 09:35 AM
I have backed off on my posting recently because I didn’t want to hit 500—Major Contributor because I know I am not. “Big time poster” yes (5.64 posts per day)—“major contributor” no. I having been praying for another server crash that would wipe out some of my posts, but it didn’t happen. I thought of deleting some of my prior posts, but was afraid those deletes would count as posts.

But I have made peace with myself. I understand that I am the fluff on this forum. Even when I try to make meaningful contributions, I do stuff like post links to explanations that don’t match the engine. (Bill R remember the dipstick-no dipstick issue). Thank you to everyone who has saved innocents from my misinformation. Now I mostly limit myself to clueless questions and social commentary.

And even though I did not mean to be, I realized I am the poster child for Blitzkrieg Bob’s tips on how to get to 500 or 1000. I am guilty of all of the following and more.:

Post a reply to anything. Even if you have nothing to add!

Pick fights --they can go on forever (only did that once and it was short)

Rush to be the first to reply! --gives you a chance to respond again (What can I say, I feel sorry for the newbies when they get ignored. I figure a nothing reply is better than no reply).

Use phases to fill meaningless posts...like:

Cool great Info.
LOL that's so funny
WTF
Lmao
How many do you have?
Anyone else out there have one like this? (My variation is “Do I have one like this?”)
You can get those on Ebay (and get it cheap with bidnip)
Insert jokes
Repeat posts with the opening "Do you mean?"
Repeat posts with sexual innuendos inserted
Once again. Very nice writeup!
Nice Pics
You're the best
Have you tried?
You're my hero (Drew is my hero with his 12 sets of wheels and I am not ashamed to say so)

Some of the other meaningless posting I have done which Bob can add to his list

Use threads like private messages
Start a thread and respond to every post
Repeat posts with comment “I agree with _…..”____
Post irrelevant stuff to the OT area
Post to the testing area
The one I learned from Whit –“I was just messin with ya”
Show us a pic.
Prior maintenance is a big deal (This works in almost any thread)
Hmmm
I have high heels that would probably support better than those. (I challenge anyone else to use this one.)
And my honest to God 499th post (“I know this wasn't directed at me, but…. Ralph.... (Rolling my eyes) Oh pleeeze)

Thanks for letting me hang out with you guys. I really enjoy it. And thanks for all the wonderful education I get about my car here. I really appreciate it.

Kalevera
09-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Gayle, contrary to what's implicated by the content of this thread, that being an unhealthy dose of self-depreciation, I think it's one of the most important items added to the forum in months...

Seriously people -- If you have nothing of import to write, please don't write it. It limits accessibility to actual content, which is the entire reason why I joined .info. I know I'm as guilty as the rest when it comes to superfluous posts, but I like to think that my ******** to actual content ratio is less than 1:5.

My other pet peeve is terrible spelling.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 10:41 AM
1:8ish

pundit
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Gayle, contrary to what's implicated by the content of this thread, that being an unhealthy dose of self-depreciation, I think it's one of the most important items added to the forum in months...

Seriously people -- If you have nothing of import to write, please don't write it. It limits accessibility to actual content, which is the entire reason why I joined .info. I know I'm as guilty as the rest when it comes to superfluous posts, but I like to think that my ******** to actual content ratio is less than 1:5.

best, whit
Whuts thu diferince beetween a duck?
Wun of its leggs is bowth thu same! :D

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 03:53 PM
a stub on the toe is better than a poke in the eye.

mattyb
09-24-2005, 05:04 PM
amongst the technical side of this forum its still important we have the informal and non specific banter which is why we are here half the time. Theres nothing better than to get on here and have something hilarious going on, not to staturate the site maybe with useless shite but just a gentle ebb and flow of tech stuff and humour.

Interceptor
09-24-2005, 05:59 PM
amongst the technical side of this forum its still important we have the informal and non specific banter which is why we are here half the time. Theres nothing better than to get on here and have something hilarious going on, not to staturate the site maybe with useless shite but just a gentle ebb and flow of tech stuff and humour.
Couldn't agree more.

Anyway, men like tech stuff, but banter is also a very important ingridient in a bonding process. Every group functions better when it consists of friends and not only co-workers.

P.S. Gayle, being a woman, can also be a part of it :) I say "men" because 99% of the forum population and bimmer fanatics are men, not being sexist :)

Paul in NZ
09-24-2005, 06:18 PM
EXACTLY matty,somehow or other i reckon that mix on this board is ussually just right.The main reason for that in my opinion is the main forum is just that......And Gayle you have been(are) a breath of fresh air....

Zeuk in Oz
09-24-2005, 06:45 PM
And Gayle you have been(are) a breath of fresh air....
Well said Paul.
Gayle, you are much appreciated for what is often a different and interesting slant on issues. ( I almost said female but that wouldn't be right as I suspect the way you see the world is more to do with your experiences and qualifications than your sex.)
Don't stop now Gayle - Grand Masterhood (Mistresshood) beckons.

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Well said Paul. .
Gayle, you are much appreciated for what is often a different and interesting slant on issues. ( I almost said female but that wouldn't be right as I suspect the way you see the world is more to do with your experiences and qualifications than your sex.)
Don't stop now Gayle - Grand Masterhood (Mistresshood) beckons..

liquidtiger720
09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Hehe. I think all of my posts since I've joined have been garbage. YAy for me. :). I try to keep it to a minimum.

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
who is liquidtiger720?

uscharalph
09-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Actually, Gayle, the thing I like most about your posts is your ability to really digest the posts you read and connect that info into new posts.

dacoyote
09-25-2005, 06:34 AM

Randell
09-25-2005, 07:13 AM
i visit this forum 2-3 times a day, and maybe post every second day.. i try not to post mechanical advice unless it's a 'could be this, because i encountered a similar problem 2 months ago which was this'... i need my bentley manual to do the most simple tasks, but i've learnt a lot from having bimmer.info one of the 3 or 4 pages i visit regularly on the intarweb

but if it was all tech help posts i don't know if i would visit so often.. after a while you recognise the name/signature and their 'personality' (online at least). it just kinda feels like i get to walk into a garage a couple of times a day and listen to people talk cars, both factual and conversational, -and- i get to join in!

it's a great place and it's a shame some people aren't happy with the content ratio.. but to be honest, you're the guys that people come back to read more from! this forum is an excellent source of knowledge, so if there's an attraction like that and a 'new post' button, you have to expect people wanna be part of the fun

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 09:51 AM
who is Daycoyote and randell? Nubies?

Gayle
09-25-2005, 10:22 AM

spelling error

dacoyote
09-25-2005, 10:43 AM

Never heard of this daycoyote guy.....

:-)

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 11:19 AM
LOL...busted.

Never heard of this daycoyote guy.....

:-)

dacoyote
09-25-2005, 11:39 AM
LOL...busted.

Helps the post count....

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 01:15 PM
You know this is like the first time I looked at how many I have in a long time...I *am* a post whore.

Helps the post count....

infinity5
09-25-2005, 01:57 PM
You know this is like the first time I looked at how many I have in a long time...I *am* a post whore.
Maybe some photoshop guys need to make a little post-whore-trophey sig pic for you.

genphreak
09-25-2005, 11:05 PM
I believe Gayle deserves all the kudos our community can offer her, she gives a rats when many don't and helps to maintain a balance. One's contribution need not be technically perfect, let alone paramount. It is her calm hand that keeps us in check, we'd be a lot worse off if she was not appropriately honoured and actively encouraged to 'stay in the fray'.

50% of medals may be awarded for political reasons, but the other 50% consititute indisputable Toil, Sweat and Tears applied in an ongoing fight against human stupidity and instinct mistaken.

Good on ya Gayle, you are no exception to this rule ;)

**Congratulations** :) Nick

632 Regal
09-25-2005, 11:08 PM
balance huh?

Bellicose Right Winger
09-26-2005, 03:57 AM
I tried self-depreciation once and got a nasty letter from the IRS.

Gayle, contrary to what's implicated by the content of this thread, that being an unhealthy dose of self-depreciation............

best, whit

Paul Shovestul

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Maybe some photoshop guys need to make a little post-whore-trophey sig pic for you.

These are the nearest I could find...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/sig/image-1930.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/sig/attentionwhorethumb.jpg

GS535i
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Gayle,
you've written a valid 'job description' - and fill the role perfectly! :) Please carry on.
I only post occasionally, but enjoy the balance on this forum.

Paul in NZ
09-27-2005, 01:06 AM
I *am* a post whore.

correction you are THE post whore....we love ya for it man.....

mikey535im
09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/mikey535im/zidel.gif