PDA

View Full Version : OT History post: Before Oil Polymers

JAlfredPrufrock
09-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Before oil polymers, that allowed multi-weight oils, what did everyone do? :p

zygoteer
09-24-2005, 10:11 AM
You used to have to change the oil grade according to spring+autumn or summer or winter or severe winter.

However this wasn't quite as onerous as you might think simply because back in the 50's and 60's you had to change oil every 2000 or 3000 miles ... depending on the make, and people did not travel as far in a year as the average is now.

It was also true that engines generally did not (intentionally !) run as hot or as fast as they do now.
Today, vital engine components actually rely heavily on oil being the primary method of conducting heat away from internal hot spots, so today's oil is a really high-tech component of your engine, not just a lubricant, and should be tightly specified - by you as well as the dealer/manufacturer.

mattyb
09-24-2005, 05:08 PM
there is a book, its an excellant read called: The story of Oil-CRUDE by Sonia Shah. has some very interesting info, written by a scientist with a bent sense of hunour. Talks of polymers etc the way a layperson can understand

632 Regal
09-24-2005, 08:52 PM
When I was a kid I remember them asking my mom if she wanted good oil or the better oil, no mention of anything else. I think most the country went like this.

Before oil polymers, that allowed multi-weight oils, what did everyone do? :p