PDA

View Full Version : Rear view mirror

Rory535i
09-23-2005, 11:49 PM
what does this mirror do? is it auto dipping?

uscharalph
09-24-2005, 12:25 AM
Auto Dimming?

Rory535i
09-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Auto Dimming?

yeah sorry that's what i meant. any ideas??

liquidtiger720
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Idunno, but I would love auto-dimming. Im going to search for that thread right now.

pundit
09-24-2005, 02:12 AM
Here's the auto dipping mirror fitted to my E34.
The second pic shows a closeup of the sensitivity adjustment control.
On the left is a photocell that senses the light from the vehicle behind, and on the right is a LED that illuminates when the mirror is active (ie in auto dip mode).
It took me a while to get used to it as it flip flops up and down depending on the light it receives from the car behind. :)

liquidtiger720
09-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Very nice. where did it come from? p/n#?

pundit
09-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Very nice. where did it come from? p/n#?
It came with the car. I'm not sure whether it was standard fitment with the Australian delivered E34 'Executive' 535i's or was ordered as an option. But I would think it came with it from new.

My E34 also has memory seats & mirrors and it may have been part of that option pack, but I'm not sure. The Australian delivered E34 'Executive' 535i's were fairly well optioned with rear head rests, roller blind, sunroof, leather, cruise control, 10 speaker premimum sound system etc. Mine also has dual climate control, an M-Tech II wheel and memory seats as already mentioned. I'm still trying to work out which options were pack of the 'Executive' spec and which were additional beyond that.

From a previous thread it seems the memory seats & mirrors and dual climate were options even on the 'Executive'.

pundit
09-24-2005, 02:49 AM
Auto Dimming?
If it changes position, then it's auto dipping.
If it just goes darker, then it's auto dimming.
Kind of the same result really! ;)

pundit
09-24-2005, 02:57 AM
It looks like it, but what's it off? Not an E34?

genphreak
09-24-2005, 03:07 AM
No mate, its not auto-dipping, its a manual dip model from a later model than the e34 (I doubt its e36 too). The wires are to do with the switch stalk beside it, they are not to do with the mirror. :) GP

EDIT- Excuse me it is late e34. I don't get these fat black edges BMW puts round everything these days, but it looks like they've been doing it for a while now.. ;)

Mewsy
09-24-2005, 03:13 AM
It is not an auto dimming mirror, The bloke I bought the car from said it was from a 540i which you could hook up an alarm to. I changed it to an auto dimming mirror from a 740i a few months ago. You turn the switch at the bottom to change the angle of the mirror. The turn signal stalk is the original from my car after I upgraded to full OBC with BC control turn signal stalk. Hope this helps you !!
Garry

pundit
09-24-2005, 03:16 AM
It is not an auto dimming mirror, The bloke I bought the car from said it was from a 540i which you could hook up an alarm to. I changed it to an auto dimming mirror from a 740i a few months ago. You turn the switch at the bottom to change the angle of the mirror. The turn signal stalk is the original from my car after I upgraded to full OBC with BC control turn signal stalk. Hope this helps you !!
Garry
Well I guess that answers the question! :)

liquidtiger720
09-24-2005, 08:56 AM
I need to findmyself auto dimming mirros. They should make sidemirrors auto-dimming, haha. These SUV's are getting really annoying.

Mewsy
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I need to findmyself auto dimming mirros. They should make sidemirrors auto-dimming, haha. These SUV's are getting really annoying.
I find it is a bit sensitive though, the one I put in my car looks exactly like a normal mirror apart from the sensor in the top middle and on the back. The sensitivity cannot be adjusted on mine, but overall it's great when someone is driving behind with their high beams on !