PDA

View Full Version : Posting for the first time all over again

integrale
09-23-2005, 05:48 PM
A few weeks ago, I posted about a couple of 525i's i was looking at, and I didn't end up buying either of them (one was too beat up and the other was too pricey at $10k for a 110k mi car).

Now I'm about to go look at a '92 535i 5-speed with 112k mi. Apparently, it's had the clutch, the fan clutch, the oil pan, the front struts, the rear diff, and exhaust replaced. New fluids all around, and I assume that somewhere in all that work they did the timing belt (or is it a chain on the M30?) and water pump were replaced too.

So what should I look for in terms of problems? What can I expect out of the car? Essentially, I'm looking for a fun car that won't cause me too much trouble that I can spend some money fixing up. If I were buying a Honda, I'd be spending $7k-8k, but I'm looking for a $5k-6k BMW to give me room to replace stuff as it comes up. Is there anything big and bad that isn't listed on E34.net that's specific to the 535i?

I'm prepared to spend $1500-$2000 out of the gate fixing the car, but I don't want to be having it in the shop for weeks at a time.

uscharalph
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
A few weeks ago, I posted about a couple of 525i's i was looking at, and I didn't end up buying either of them (one was too beat up and the other was too pricey at $10k for a 110k mi car).

Now I'm about to go look at a '92 535i 5-speed with 112k mi. Apparently, it's had the clutch, the fan clutch, the oil pan, the front struts, the rear diff, and exhaust replaced. New fluids all around, and I assume that somewhere in all that work they did the timing belt (or is it a chain on the M30?) and water pump were replaced too.

So what should I look for in terms of problems? What can I expect out of the car? Essentially, I'm looking for a fun car that won't cause me too much trouble that I can spend some money fixing up. If I were buying a Honda, I'd be spending $7k-8k, but I'm looking for a $5k-6k BMW to give me room to replace stuff as it comes up. Is there anything big and bad that isn't listed on E34.net that's specific to the 535i?

I'm prepared to spend $1500-$2000 out of the gate fixing the car, but I don't want to be having it in the shop for weeks at a time.
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

integrale
09-23-2005, 06:00 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

:p Like I said...anything that isn't listed on E34.net?

Gayle
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Stuff goes on a BMW at 100k that goes on other cars at 70k. I think the major ones are (1) cooling system issues of which this car has had some but by no means all so you can probably expect that. (2) struts--so its a good thing that this car is over and done with that and (3) brakes--not yet? The 100k stuff gets replaced and is good for another 100k. I consider everything that has already been replaced/repaired to be a good sign--one less thing you will have to do and it is a sign the car was cared about. These cars need love.

Are there records on which to judge the maintenance? BMWs are picky about their fluids.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14326

You can expect leaks and rubber to wear out and a bunch of miscellaneous crap to go. You can expect the lamp control module to go and the lights to act bizarre but that is no biggy.

My personal theory is that if you don't work on it yourself it costs $2000 a year to keep any bmw on the road if it is out of waranty. And it is worth every penny.

We regular ask ourselves about the number of manual trannys out there. Last thing I saw posted was 5% of e34s are 535s and 5% of those are manuals. I have read that there were 600 in my year-1990, so a manual 535 is definately worth considering seriously.

Take a good look at the body and paint. That is the most expensive thing to bring back around. The mechancial stuff can all be dealt with.

Gayle
09-23-2005, 06:10 PM
http://www.bmw4life.com/buyingE34.htm

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 06:15 PM
damn.... what Gayle said.

too fast tonight for me.

integrale
09-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks a lot gayle, that buyer's guide gave me a couple more things to look at. I'm expecting some little things; I just don't want a ton of them, and I want a car that'll be fun to drive. If I have to treat it like it's fine china, I won't be happy.

Gayle
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
You definately don't have to treat it like fine china, but do expect to have a new hobby.

JAlfredPrufrock
09-23-2005, 06:50 PM
A 1992 535i 5spd? Holy crap that is rare!

Alexlind123
09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
My brother has a 1985 535i 5-speed.

integrale
09-24-2005, 07:31 AM
A 1992 535i 5spd? Holy crap that is rare!

Yeah, I know. <600 made, I think...and if it's in good shape, I could be the proud owner of a very awesome car that no one will know is cool. What's funny is that there are TWO exact copies of this car already on my campus.

A significant percentage of 535i 5-spds are within three blocks of me :)

Gayle
09-24-2005, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I know. <600 made, I think...and if it's in good shape, I could be the proud owner of a very awesome car that no one will know is cool. What's funny is that there are TWO exact copies of this car already on my campus.

Yeah, it kind of bugs me that mine was debadged by the prior owner. I want the world to know I have a 535, but rebadging it is low on the list of things to do.

uscharalph
09-24-2005, 07:54 AM

Sounds like you're more concerned about what other's see you drive instead of what you like to drive.

Gayle
09-24-2005, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you're more concerned about what other's see you drive instead of what you like to drive.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but

Ralph.... (Rolling my eyes) Oh pleeeze

pyro
09-24-2005, 10:07 AM
oh and its a chain not a belt. the m20 was bmw's only engine to have belt drive cam

BobHarris
09-24-2005, 01:40 PM
oh and its a chain not a belt. the m20 was bmw's only engine to have belt drive cam

The M40 had a belt as well, I don't know if there were any others.

I don't think any of them went to the US in a 5 series though.

HTH

Bob

integrale
09-25-2005, 10:20 PM
New Development!

I'm looking at the 535 this week. But there's now a '94 530 in the mix. It's had its engine replaced by BMW under the extended warranty, which is great. But what exactly does that mean? Do they just replace the block? Is it the same engine with Nikasil and all, just a fresh one? How does this car compare to the 535 in terms of reliability and performance? I don't care quite that much about power (been driving Hondas, anything will seem strong), more about quality/precision.

Whatever I end up buying, I'm going to post some ill pics to let you know what I chose :)

uscharalph
09-25-2005, 11:22 PM
New Development!

I'm looking at the 535 this week. But there's now a '94 530 in the mix. It's had its engine replaced by BMW under the extended warranty, which is great. But what exactly does that mean? Do they just replace the block? Is it the same engine with Nikasil and all, just a fresh one? How does this car compare to the 535 in terms of reliability and performance? I don't care quite that much about power (been driving Hondas, anything will seem strong), more about quality/precision.

Whatever I end up buying, I'm going to post some ill pics to let you know what I chose :)
They probalby changed out the Nikasil. They wouldn't put another Nikasil in.