PDA

View Full Version : rear windshield sunblock

joe maniqz
09-23-2005, 04:17 PM
i did a search and can't find this...did our e34 came with a rear windshield sunshade/sunblock that retracts automatically?...i am thinking of taking off my tint and just replace it with those retractable sunshields...anyone knows where i can get those?

shogun
09-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Available upon extra price. There was a manual and an electric one. I do not think youwould like to do all the hussle to install a lelectric one. You need a switch at the front, wires to the rear, the motor with drive, you have to modify the rear parcel shelf, install the sunroof.
Very seldom available as used one.

Kalevera
09-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Generic manual units can be found and fitted -- check eBay.

These weren't an option in the US. They are seldom seen in the E32 7s, as well. The only electric one I've EVER seen in an e34 is in a late Euro M5.

Having said that....The harness is plug an play, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass to install because it runs under the carpet to the center console. The big problem is finding the rear sunshade itself. Beyond not fitting the E34, most 7s with this option have stripped (plastic) gears.

I've run the wiring and switch; have pictures of both, to be released when the project is done. I've also got a bunch of parcel shelves and messed up electric shades from e32s -- I'm hoping to hack one working unit together.

best, whit

shogun
09-23-2005, 09:26 PM
if you have a spare motor with gear, let me know (even damaged is o.k.).
As you know these are subject to damage of the plastic gear.
This horrible grinding noise. Jon Evans has a nice instruction how to solve that by turning the plastic gear some degrees
http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/electric-rear-blind-repair
But together with 10-20 people from the German 7 series board I am trying to find a complete metal gear , respect. to make the toothed rims and distribute it to members at cost price.
So, even if the gear is defective, I need it as a sample to check with the shops here.
From 02/1996 the toothed rims are made from metal and also the gear has changed. There should the something in the TIS for various models. E31/32/34/36/38/39.