PDA

View Full Version : Depo headlight problem

epj3
09-23-2005, 02:10 PM
I bought a set of depo european ellipsoids off ebay to replace my beat US ellipsoids. I bought them from a memeber with 3300+ feedback.

Problem is - he sent ones made for a right hand drive car. The beam pattern is \___\___ so it lights up the left oncoming lane, but none of the shoulder. I heard from a few people that it's adjustable but from what I can see, it's not

http://www.bmwchannel.com/eric/BMW%20Stuff/_MG_3815.jpg

Any idea's? The plate that blocks the light is part of the whole metal part that the lens sits in.

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Post a couple different pictures of them at different angles so we can see whats up with them, where the metal deals are etc.

I did some trimming on my elipsoid fogs...a little goes a LONG way!

SRR2
09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Looks to me like you're screwed, blewed and tattooed. That metal shield is welded in there and not amenable to moving.

Thanks for an interesting post. I'd never thought about the differences in RHD and LHD lighting parts. Good to know to look out for it.

epj3
09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
http://www.bmwchannel.com/eric/BMW%20Stuff/_MG_3819.jpg
http://www.bmwchannel.com/eric/BMW%20Stuff/_MG_3815%5b1%5d.jpg

I dont think it's adjustable - but if the guy on ebay decides to **** me over and not replace them, I'll just modify them myself.

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
whats with the red color, is that a reflection?

epj3
09-23-2005, 03:08 PM
whats with the red color, is that a reflection?
Ah sorry - thats photoshopped in to show what the problem is. The "slant" should be on the other side, so the plate should be reversed.

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 03:11 PM
looks like the metal things are on both sides of the light? hard to tell whats going on with them pictures.

jjw
09-23-2005, 04:02 PM
IT can be adjusted by turning, rotate the housing, not by changing the shield. The screw hole is slotted so the back housing can be rotated from the front housing. In fact the original euro housing is like that for LHD and RHD.

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
True but if he rotates them they will be at the top not the bottom.

IT can be adjusted by turning, rotate the housing, not by changing the shield. The screw hole is slotted so the back housing can be rotated from the front housing. In fact the original euro housing is like that for LHD and RHD.

epj3
09-23-2005, 05:28 PM

See thats what i thought was the fix, but there are metal tabs on the ellipsoid assembly (you can see them in the picture), and the reflector/lens assmebly only seems to fit and mount into the headlight itself one way.

632 Regal
09-23-2005, 05:45 PM
just remove the tabs and be done, you dont really have much of a choice...or sell them on the bay.

Tiger
09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
You can just extend the rectangle to eliminate the rise to the side... The angle part, just block it and you will have e-code without the side lighting.

jjw
09-23-2005, 11:01 PM
It only rotates about 15 degrees. So the part of the sheild was horizontal will be the one slope up and the other part be horizontal.

jjw
09-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I think I know what you are talking about. But it is not the part that rotates. The whole part that's in the picture, front and back, the metal part with the lens and the reflector where the bulb mounted to, rotates within the outer lens housing, the other part not in the picture. The screws that I refer to are the three screws that holds the whole light together, not the ones in the picture. They are outside at the rear of the whole light housing. Maybe it is kind of confusing, but take a look at the whole thing, maybe it will be clear.

epj3
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
I think I know what you are talking about. But it is not the part that rotates. The whole part that's in the picture, front and back, the metal part with the lens and the reflector where the bulb mounted to, rotates within the outer lens housing, the other part not in the picture. The screws that I refer to are the three screws that holds the whole light together, not the ones in the picture. They are outside at the rear of the whole light housing. Maybe it is kind of confusing, but take a look at the whole thing, maybe it will be clear.
I know exactly what you mean and I tried it - but those two tabs seem to keep it from fitting in. But I might just take regal's advice and break the tabs off.

rockyfeller
09-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Try to sell em. If you're stuck with em dremel the plate straight and aim the headlights down a bit. Don't think of removing the plate totally...you wouldn't want to see what that beam would look like.

pyro
09-24-2005, 09:45 AM
i would try to dremel that angle in the other side and use that mettle tape (exhust tape) to make the other side squair. THE TAPE IS STRONG and hold up to being in there.

rps1072
09-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Could you please let us know who this ebay seller is, so that others may avoid this? Thanks.