PDA

View Full Version : Clever design details in BMWs

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Just saw a typical moron obliviously driving a GM car with his high beams on and it reminded me of the clever design detail incorporated into every BMW I've owned since the '76 2002: When the high beams are on, the lever is farther from the steering wheel than when the low beams are selected. Even if your high beam indicator lamp is burned out you know whether you have the lows or highs on based on the fact it is a longer reach to the signal lever. This, of course, assumes you use your signal lights...

Dan in NZ
09-22-2005, 03:51 PM
How else would you turn the high beams on, other than pushing/pulling the lever? That's how you do it on every car i've ever driven.... Or am I missing something with this post....

bimmerd00d
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
How else would you turn the high beams on, other than pushing/pulling the lever? That's how you do it on every car i've ever driven.... Or am I missing something with this post....

In GM cars (most of them at least), you pull the stalk towards you to engage high beams, and pull it again in the same fashion to disengage them. The stalk always returns to the same position is what he's saying. On BMW's, it's further away from you when engaged. Even Ford figured this out.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-22-2005, 04:39 PM
the high beam switch was a big button on the floor next to the pedals.

dacoyote
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM

I had a old ford pickup that the switch was on the floor board... (yes it was that way from the factory, it wasn't a charles mod). She was a stick so I did blind people every once in a while...

-Charles

uscharalph
09-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I remember that!

Dave M
09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Yep, drove the 'big button' as a teen in a motorhome from Toronto to Bisbee Arizona. I still crave the power of the halogen at my feet.

Good times,

Dave M

xphilter
09-22-2005, 07:58 PM
well now if you have $$ you do'nt even need to worry about petty little things like "brights" BMW will turn it off for you heh. (the new 7).

632 Regal
09-22-2005, 08:01 PM
You have a BMW, you dont need to use the blinkers + theyll last so much longer.

well now if you have $$ you do'nt even need to worry about petty little things like "brights" BMW will turn it off for you heh. (the new 7).

bimmerd00d
09-22-2005, 08:13 PM

my 1973 Corvette had this, i LOVED it.

uscharalph
09-22-2005, 08:15 PM
You have a BMW, you dont need to use the blinkers + theyll last so much longer.
I hate when people drive like that. No signals and on the cellphone, especislly SUV drivers.

I better stop now!

stx133
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Other nice features are the passenger side mirror dipping when you put it in reverse, and you can switch it off by switching the mirror adjust button to the passenger side.

digitaldragon03
09-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Something that i love but that i see dying in new BMW's is the center console being slanted towards the driver. Its just plain terrific, BMW should not let this die.

bahnstormer
09-23-2005, 04:54 AM
the main thing i hate about american cars (and a few others fit this category) is
when the brake is the blinker, or the blinker is red...

compared to a seperate orange blink it is just not visible ... esp blinker on during braking...u just see one brake light flashing and think wtf?!?

mikell
09-23-2005, 08:07 AM
And, the solid, smooth feel of the e34 stalk controls - says quality, well engineered to me.

Lennyz525i
09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
My mom has a mid-late 90s ford explorer. On that pos the windshield wiper control and signal (and some other functions) are integerated onto one lever. It's like nearly impossible to put out your blinker without turning the windshield wipers on... (and accidently mess with all the other functions as well)

Robin-535im
09-23-2005, 02:43 PM

My pickup still has that... earlier one had a starter button on the floor too...