PDA

View Full Version : The neverending story

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 05:25 AM
Guys, I'm getting a feeling my car is a money pit! My rear axle carrier is bent (rear left wheel is closed an inch), I need new shocks, center and rear muffler! I'm currently accepting donations since my car is spending more than I'm earning! :)

Eh, sorry for the rant, I had to get it out of my system :)

BM-BOY
09-22-2005, 05:49 AM
Cheer up! At least you don't have my car!!

JT520i
09-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Interceptor,
I feel your pain. If its any consolation, everything you listed as needing replacement (OK, except for the rear axle carrier. That's a new one) are things that any used car your 525i's age is going to need. It's almost always cheaper in the long run to keep an older car running than to buy a new one.

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Cheer up! At least you don't have my car!!
Well, considering how much you payed for it, you've got much better bang for the buck than me! I payed $5500, invested $2000 more, and still going! :) Probably another $1000.

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Interceptor,
I feel your pain. If its any consolation, everything you listed as needing replacement (OK, except for the rear axle carrier. That's a new one) are things that any used car your 525i's age is going to need. It's almost always cheaper in the long run to keep an older car running than to buy a new one.
I just found out that my MAF might have gone south... *g*

Other stuff to do:
- all 4 door seals + sunroof seal
- headliner cloth replacement

Guelphguy
09-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Meh, that's not too bad...
I bought mine last October for $5300, have spent $2000 in repairs (all flushes/incl.tranny, hanger bearing, motor mounts, tranny mounts, thrust arms, steering arms, steering links, belts, OBC, switches, dash bulbs) and I still have to replace Gas Tank, Exhaust is near dead, headliner is sagging, heater core is leaking and needs winter tires) I remember one person saying it is a $10,000 car...no matter how you look at it....buy one for 10K in perfect shape, buy one for $3K that needs 7K in repairs....it all ends up the same!

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Meh, that's not too bad...
I bought mine last October for $5300, have spent $2000 in repairs (all flushes/incl.tranny, hanger bearing, motor mounts, tranny mounts, thrust arms, steering arms, steering links, belts, OBC, switches, dash bulbs) and I still have to replace Gas Tank, Exhaust is near dead, headliner is sagging, heater core is leaking and needs winter tires) I remember one person saying it is a $10,000 car...no matter how you look at it....buy one for 10K in perfect shape, buy one for $3K that needs 7K in repairs....it all ends up the same!
It sure looks like it! :) Well, look on the bright side - if some one sticks a banana up our exhaust at least it won't do any damage - I bet it wouldn't obstruct the airflow one bit from all the holes in it! :)

632 Regal
09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
still applies. As the car gets older it needs the same attention as when it was new. You probably need a rear axle support and not the carrier?
One of these? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&hg=33&fg=30)
You can probably pick some up from this forum, it needs to be done weather you keep the car or sell it...exception if you part it out.

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 03:01 PM
still applies. As the car gets older it needs the same attention as when it was new. You probably need a rear axle support and not the carrier?
One of these? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&hg=33&fg=30)
You can probably pick some up from this forum, it needs to be done weather you keep the car or sell it...exception if you part it out.
I already swapped out the support! Same thing! And the same support looks OK on another E34, so it can be only one thing - the carrier. Or am I missing something?