PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Replaced, Thanks!

NoSpeedLimits
03-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Just wanted to thank all of you for your help. I successfully replaced my water pump, thermostat and hoses this weekend. And only had one minor medical emergency that required bandages -- damn radiator has an awfully sharp top edge. Anyway, thanks again and if anyone has any questions I will be glad to help. ('94 - 540IA)

Unregistered
03-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Hi,

My 530i has been leaking coolant lately from the front center of the engine compartment. I'm hoping it's not the valley pan gasket as that's the only thing I didn't replace when I did my valve cover & intake gaskets last year. The water pump is original and has 134K miles on it. Does it leak from the hub when worn out?

Any replacement tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Rory
03-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to thank all of you for your help. I successfully replaced my water pump, thermostat and hoses this weekend. And only had one minor medical emergency that required bandages -- damn radiator has an awfully sharp top edge. Anyway, thanks again and if anyone has any questions I will be glad to help. ('94 - 540IA)
Glad to hear it went well. You may want to invest $20 for a pair of Mechanix gloves. My wife bought me a pair when she was tired of looking at scrapes, scratches, cuts, and grease if I worked on the car. They are worth their weight in gold for a weekend mechanic. And yes, they do prevent the minor medical emergency's that you mentioned :) Of course, YMMV.

Best,
Rory

NoSpeedLimits
03-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Ahhh yesss... good point, but does she let you throw them in the laundry? If not, how do you keep them clean? I've been wanting to get me a pair, but figured they be a mess after one weekend.

Javier
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
any kind of gloves doing machanics. I feel the need for finger sensitivity, ability to hold nuts, feel groves, work without vision, Once tried some surgicals, but lasted about 5 minutes to wear down on mineral grease and gas.

NoSpeedLimits
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
Yep, she was leaking from the front center of the engine compartment. Two things told me there was a problem: I could feel a little slop in the bearing on the water pump (WP). Grab a hold of the fan (not by the blades cause you don't want to brake them) and see if she moves up and down. Second, I took the bottom plastic engine guards (not exactly sure what you call them pieces) off and took a peek from the underside. After I warmed her up I could easily see a drip coming from WP.

As for tips: the Bentley manual is helpful, but there's a few things not mentioned.

1. The location of the block drain plugs. You'll need to remove both heat shields and look about mid way up on the block for a 13mm bolt (one on each side). The bolts are fairly easy to see from the underside, the PITA is getting the wrench in there and enough leverage to brake 'em loose. To top it off, be prepared for the coolant shower :) be ready to move quickly and have a pail handy. It a good one to ask your "friend" to help you with...

2. Putting the new WP back on is a PITA. I am not exactly sure why, but I had a very difficult time pushing the WP onto the two metal tubes that penetrate the backside of the WP. I imagine the o-ring seals are designed to give a really tight fit to keep her from leaking. What the reason is all I know is that my arms went numb trying to push it in place. After a short bitch session, I realized that there are two long bolts holding the WP onto the engine. I used those bolts to hold the WP in place and slowly tightened the bolts until I could get the other shorter bolts started. Like tightening a head, I alternated from bolt to bolt slowing and evenly pulling the WP tight. Just be careful not to force anything and exceed the recommended torque settings. If she not going on smoothly and easily back it off and try again.

3. When draining the radiator, not unless you have a really big catch pan, don't totally remove the drain plug. Another opportunity for a "friend" to get a coolant shower. The stream of coolant hit a piece of ducting and splashes all over the place.

4. Finally, to help bleed the air out after you’ve filled it up grab a hold of the lower radiator hose and repeatedly squeeze it until you hear that no more air is coming out of the reservoir. Do the same for the upper radiator hose. I was amazed by the time I was done squeezing the air out, she took exactly 12.5 quarts of coolant. :)

And for more tips, checked out: http://www.bmwe34.net

Hope that helps, and if I think of anything else, I’ll post it later.

NoSpeedLimits
03-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Yah...I, too, like to be able to feel my way around. I usually keep a roll of sticky medical tape handy, like the stuff used by hockey players, and before I get started I cover parts of my hands with it. When I can remember to put the tape on (it was a long winter), it works pretty good. In addition, the bare spots left behind after removing the tape make cleaning your hands much easier.

Unregistered
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks NoSpeedLimits for the helpful advice on water pump replacement. It looks like I'll be doing it soon! I appreciate all the help.

Mike

Rory
03-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Ahhh yesss... good point, but does she let you throw them in the laundry? If not, how do you keep them clean? I've been wanting to get me a pair, but figured they be a mess after one weekend.
Ha Ha, now you have found the problem. I do not wash them after evey use although it would be nice. I tend to wear disposable gloves for messy jobs with lots of grease (oil changes) but the Mechanix ones for "hard" work. Just me....

In years past I would swing by the community laundry at my apartment and wash them there. Now I own a condo so I still don't mind doing them in the washer :) But seriously, a bucket full of water and soap will do a good job at keeping them semi-clean. YMMV. You can always ask the Mrs. if she would prefer you have clean, grease free hands or if you should put greasy mechanic hands on her :D

Best,
Rory