PDA

View Full Version : Help: Compatibility of instrument cluster

shaikhshahnaz
09-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi, I am thinking of changing my instrument cluster on my e34 520i year 1989. The thing is that all the available instrument clusters have a digital mileage meter, and mine is analogue. Is is compatible? If it is, can anyone tell me how to modify/fix it?

Please help!!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Shahnaz

shogun
09-21-2005, 08:39 PM
You should be more concerned about the code plug and the backplate color of the cluster. Not all can be mixed. Here is some info on that.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/299960/299960.html

myles
09-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Since you have an analogue odometer, you don't have to worry about the 300000 bug the the early digital clusters had.

I think I have read somewhere about someone who did the coversion from analogue to digital with check control, but it sounded like a very large job, lots of wiring mods.

Is there a problem with the old cluster or do you want to make a upgrade?

shaikhshahnaz
09-22-2005, 02:26 AM
The analogue odometer doesn't work anymore. I've enquired, there are some people who can change the gears inside to make it work again, but the cost is as much as getting a newer instrument cluster. I am kind of just weighing my options right now.

The other funny thing about my car is that it doesn't have air-conditioning/heater vents for the back passengers that is situated behind the hand brake lever. I have never seen an e34 without it. Could it be the e34 that I have is one of the earliest ones to come out from the factory?

Since you have an analogue odometer, you don't have to worry about the 300000 bug the the early digital clusters had.

I think I have read somewhere about someone who did the coversion from analogue to digital with check control, but it sounded like a very large job, lots of wiring mods.

Is there a problem with the old cluster or do you want to make a upgrade?

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 05:12 AM
The other funny thing about my car is that it doesn't have air-conditioning/heater vents for the back passengers that is situated behind the hand brake lever. I have never seen an e34 without it. Could it be the e34 that I have is one of the earliest ones to come out from the factory?
I don't have A/C and my car doesn't have the vents either:
http://free-st.t-com.hr/interceptor/bmw/p5010037.jpg

uscharalph
09-22-2005, 07:17 AM
"Since you have an analogue odometer, you don't have to worry about the 300000 bug the the early digital clusters had."

300,000 mile bug?

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 11:10 AM
"Since you have an analogue odometer, you don't have to worry about the 300000 bug the the early digital clusters had."

300,000 mile bug?
See Shogun's link for an explanation.