PDA

View Full Version : how strong the passenger cell is, pics

shogun
09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
This E32 driver in Germany hit 2 trees.
No harm to him and the passengers. The cell is still intact. Great pics how save these cars are.
http://auto.jokoweb.de/bmw7h/index.html

uscharalph
09-21-2005, 10:36 PM
No harm to him and the passengers. The cell is still intact. Great pics how save these cars are.
I feel safer having seen those pictures!

pundit
09-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Well it really depends on how hard the impact was.
If it was at only 20KMH then I would say thank God I don't own an E32! ;)

Kakaire
09-22-2005, 05:46 AM
What is that white powdery stuff....

shogun
09-22-2005, 07:31 AM
You can see that the car is loosing oil due to the accident. That powder is to absorb the oil so that is does not spoil the earth.

Robin-535im
09-22-2005, 08:32 AM
I feel safer having seen those pictures!
Gotta love Germany... 5-speed E32's...

saj3n
09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
You can see that the car is loosing oil due to the accident. That powder is to absorb the oil so that is does not spoil the earth.

This powder also acts as a fire deterrent, incase gasoline is also spilled.

Kai@e34.de
09-22-2005, 11:32 AM
guys...
the E32 and E34 are very solid constructed cars, but a crash sideways against a tree is the worst case for _every_ car. if you're fast enough, it doesn't matter if you are sitting in a bug or a s-class.
in 2003, an 22yrs old member of www.e34.de and his 19yrs old gf died in his 525i M50 when hitting a tree. the car splitted in half and they both died instantly. please remember all the time, the best car won't help you much in case of such an accident.

click on the link at the bottom only if you are sure you want to see this.

http://www.e34.de/fotostories/fotostories.php?section=Friedhof&dname=Franky525i

drive save...

Jeff N.
09-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Not pretty. Sad - looks like too much speed through the corner lead to this accident. Avoidable. :(

mzarifkar
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
A month or so ago, a Subaru WRX ran sideways into a tree, at a 100mph. The passenger died on the spot, the driver died later in the hospital, they were 19 years old.

I was there shooting for the paper, and i can tell you it left a mark on me, I was there as the young passengers body was taken out.

BMW's may make us feel invincible, but we really arent, speed is speed

An aquintance of mine, died in his E30 325 (modded), when he crossed over into oncoming truck, i carry his ornituary as a reminder to slow down.

I will post pictures of the subaru by request (dont want to offend anyone)

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Gotta love Germany... 5-speed E32's...
You mean, there are no manual 7s in US?!

632 Regal
09-22-2005, 03:07 PM

drive save....

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I will post pictures of the subaru by request (dont want to offend anyone)
Please post them, it might save a life or two, you never know.

Interceptor
09-22-2005, 03:34 PM
the E32 and E34 are very solid constructed cars, but a crash sideways against a tree is the worst case for _every_ car. if you're fast enough, it doesn't matter if you are sitting in a bug or a s-class.
in 2003, an 22yrs old member of www.e34.de (http://www.e34.de) and his 19yrs old gf died in his 525i M50 when hitting a tree. the car splitted in half and they both died instantly. please remember all the time, the best car won't help you much in case of such an accident.
Man, that pictures were very disturbing! A year and a half ago me and my friend wrapped an E28 528i around a tree - the tree hit between the passenger door and the fender, in the hardest spot it could and still managed to make a HUGE dent and deformed the roof making the car unrepairable. We came out without the scratch and we weren't even wearing seat belts! More luck than brains!

genphreak
09-22-2005, 05:34 PM
guys...

drive save...How tragic. RIP 1xE34 and 2xHumans.

We really need to get things in perspective. We shouldn't be driving cars with internal combustion engines at all. We really should have better transport systems from a safety and total cost perspective. Building, using and crashing more cars is plain dumb.

But we all do it...

tim
09-22-2005, 05:59 PM
You guys are lucky Brian C. hasn't seen this thread. He's a forensic photographer and he's posted some harsh reminders over the years.

A BMW is an unsafe car for young men because it allows you push the limits all too easily and perhaps routinely, leading to a false sense of security. I know I sound like an old fart, but I have crashed a bunch of cars in my day, and I not only know the limit, I stay well away from it. Still have fun with it mind you.

Don't flame me youngsters, but if I had my 540 when I was 20 I can guarantee you I wouldn't be around today. I don't even want to get into the fact that the tragedies we've shared on this board as well as e34.de's, were young drivers. (Not inexperienced, bad or whatever, but empirically speaking, young.)

As far as the e34's safety: it has a really good blend of nimbleness (an overlooked safety feature if you ask me); weight; and active/passive restraint. Although the e39 tested as the safest sedan ever in that insurance crash test, the e34 is up there with Volvo and Benz's best during the 90's.

If you drift sideways into a tree at anything over say 40mph, it's life threatening in any car.

Kalevera
09-22-2005, 06:29 PM
You guys are lucky Brian C. hasn't seen this thread. He's a forensic photographer and he's posted some harsh reminders over the years.

A BMW is an unsafe car for young men because it allows you push the limits all too easily and perhaps routinely, leading to a false sense of security. I know I sound like an old fart, but I have crashed a bunch of cars in my day, and I not only know the limit, I stay well away from it. Still have fun with it mind you.

Don't flame me youngsters, but if I had my 540 when I was 20 I can guarantee you I wouldn't be around today. I don't even want to get into the fact that the tragedies we've shared on this board as well as e34.de's, were young drivers. (Not inexperienced, bad or whatever, but empirically speaking, young.)

As far as the e34's safety: it has a really good blend of nimbleness (an overlooked safety feature if you ask me); weight; and active/passive restraint. Although the e39 tested as the safest sedan ever in that insurance crash test, the e34 is up there with Volvo and Benz's best during the 90's.

If you drift sideways into a tree at anything over say 40mph, it's life threatening in any car.
Hmmm...Thanks for echoing that. Very important stuff to remember.

best, whit

JLD
09-23-2005, 01:37 AM

This is very true, Im 19 and I have taken my 535 for granted, and learned my lesson.
One night my friends and I went out to eat, and I decided to take a back road right after a thunder storm. Well, I took a downhill S curve a little too quickly, and the combination of the wet road and mud made me lose control of my car, I hit a muddy embankment and some bushes. Thank God there were no other cars coming in the opposite direction, and that I missed a large tree by six inches. Basically the front and rear bumpers came off, but it was scary enough for me to never test my car again
front pic http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2350/bmwfront3zi.jpg
rear pic http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5875/bmwrear8xp.jpg
had to get a new car after I got the accident bacause my mom said this repair was going to be the last repair she was going to pay for, and the car was getting too expensive as a daily driver for me, but Im definetly keeping the car as a project car.
hehe had to keep it German http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4329/img14969dc.jpg

Randell
09-23-2005, 05:11 AM

drive save...

more people need to see stuff like this...

people lose the human side of stuff like this.. the media has dulled it from almost everyone out there.. young people esp. have the 'doesn't happen to someone like me'... they need to know that one day, from a decision that was all theirs, it could.

wingman
09-23-2005, 05:37 AM
I have two young boys (5 & 3). This is why I drive BMW's!

Robin-535im
09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
You mean, there are no manual 7s in US?!
You have to make your own!

I think there were a few dozen imported, but as a rule the 7's in the US are all automatic.

I've ridden in Don Gale's 5-speed e32 which he converted himself. From the inside it looks/feels alot like an e34.

I would love to build up an e38 with a 6-speed... Whit said they do that from time to time..

mzarifkar
09-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Here are the subaru images, the halves were separated about 50 feet, the passenger ended up in the rearseat

johnnyturbo2002
09-23-2005, 02:01 PM
What is that white powdery stuff....
AIr bag powder.

Interceptor
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
You have to make your own!

I think there were a few dozen imported, but as a rule the 7's in the US are all automatic.

I've ridden in Don Gale's 5-speed e32 which he converted himself. From the inside it looks/feels alot like an e34.

I would love to build up an e38 with a 6-speed... Whit said they do that from time to time..
The big seven with a stick shift is a pleasure to drive! You feel like the captain of the ship - it's huge, comfortable and has tons of torque and power! Too bad I drive my car 99% of the time in the city - otherwise I would have a manual 7 infront of my house, too.

genphreak
09-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Well I guess that shows the WRX for the yoghurt carton it is. Not that I'd like to do that in a BMW of any flavour... :p GP

mzarifkar
09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Well I guess that shows the WRX for the yoghurt carton it is. Not that I'd like to do that in a BMW of any flavour... :p GP

I am fairly sure that your BMW at 100mph would do something exactly similair! Car make has nothing to do with this.

SharkmanBMW
09-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Side impacts are the worst... not much you can do about it.
Many of you know I was in a huge wreck that left me close to death and permanently wounded, so, to protect myself I just took it one step farther and bought a 2003 330Xi.
Now I have side impact and side curtain airbags in my 330, I feel safe.
I wish I had pics of the car we were in when we hit that dump truck, but my friends father went to take some but was traumatised by what he saw and wanted no memories for himself or us. From what I was told the engine was between our legs!

emw525E34
09-26-2005, 01:55 AM
E32 fought the tree,,,and the tree won!.

Lucikly in this case the driver walked away ...

I did not see the airbag deploy. Was it already cut off ?. Puzzled as the E32 must have airbags. Or was there not enough frontal impact to warrant airbag deployment?.

Reminded me couple of years ago where a UK man totalled a Jaguar X-type 3.0 SE it had 8 airbags and none deployed. Insurance company said since the car rolled and did not sustain frontal impact, the airbags did not deploy as they are designed NOT to do do so in such circumstances. It probably saved the driver's life in that case. He sued and lost. Jaguar concurred that without frontal impact or side impact of sufficient force the airbag would NOT need to deploy.
I am actually counting on my SeatBelts to secure me. Its the PRIMARY restraint system. Airbags are secondary. Airbags cannot prevent anyone from being squashed!.

genphreak
09-26-2005, 02:08 AM
I am fairly sure that your BMW at 100mph would do something exactly similair! Car make has nothing to do with this.True that. However now you mention it I have seen several 5 and 7 series after horrendous accidents and I am sure occupants fair (generally speaking) better in a Bimmer. However I do believe that at such speed the risk is so great that either way the point is almost 'moot'.

Having been in many WRXs I can say I have never felt safe in one, well piloted or not. And I do know they_are_not built to take an accident anything like a BMW is. One look at seatbelt hardware, frame construction, structural integrity of door locks and door frames (a WRX door hasn't even got one), let alone the passenger cell etc, its glaringly obvious.

However a BMW is barely a road rocket either (all this weighs considerably more) and it uses much more fuel. Overall, there are so many people and there is so little fossil fuel I guess Japanese manufacturers are justifiably fulfilling a growing market making so many yoghurt cartons on wheels. :) Nick

Randell
09-26-2005, 02:34 AM
anyone wondering about the strength of the e34... have a look for a top gear video segment with a head-on at 60mph or so between an e34 and a volvo of the same generation...

although the accident would be almost certainly fatal, it shows that the bmw isn't exactly a weak car, i think it fares 'well'... in saying that i mean think that at a 'normal' speed (60kmh/38mph) you'd be well protected

the vid would be somewhere on www.racingflix.com, though it's a slow download if you're not a member!

there is also a top gear segment somewhere (not sure if it'd be on racingflix) where they have a head-on between a 1993 renault espace with a 2004 espace at 40mph or so... these new cars are something to be scared of! the 2004 model absolutely ripped through the older one, so badly in fact that it didn't even need to fire airbags (just enabled seatbelt pretentioners), whilst the 91 model got annihilated.. drive safely!

genphreak
09-26-2005, 02:52 AM
these new cars are something to be scared of! the 2004 model absolutely ripped through the older one, so badly in fact that it didn't even need to fire airbags (just enabled seatbelt pretentioners), whilst the 91 model got annihilated.. drive safely!:D Hahahaha :D now there's a way to sell new cars... SCARE people into doing it so they don't get killed by Mr or Mrs Jones that bought one yesterday...

genphreak
09-26-2005, 03:13 AM
I remember (years ago) when some mad English businessman piloted a new E32 off an autobahn into a field at over 160mph. The car rolled for way over 160m and managed a couple of cartwheels in the process.

Of course the occupants were killed, but the passenger cell was still in one piece and ALL the doors were still on. BMW were so interested they took the car for measurements afterwards.

Do that in (dare I say) any other car without a roll cage and I think you'd be dead for more reasons than not having a safety harness on.

There was no glass in the car and the driver was essentially milkshaked.

The only funny part was how the press began the report

"The new BMW failed to take a bend"

At 160mph that happens. The driver felt too damn safe by half and forgot the road was wet and he was going too fast.

I suppose it helps prove evolution, if little else. Anyone tried any of those $20 racing harnesses on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-M-POWER-4-POINT-SEAT-BELT-BELTS-325I-328I-540I-M3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33725QQitemZ80032916 42QQrdZ1)? :D

angrypancake
09-29-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm 19, and definitely make every attempt to not take my second BMW for granted. Last year I got a great deal on a '93 525i 5 speed in the summer, and on January 15th of 2005 I was driving home from a friends and was coming down a hill, the road was icy, and I ended up sliding out of control for about 1000ft down the hill and ended up hitting 3 trees. There's one picture on my car domain site, it doesnt do justice to the severity, there was wood from the tree somehow embedded in my drivers side front brake caliper. I managed only a broken collarbone and a concussion. It's amazing that, A: at 18, I was piloting my own e-34, and B: the car is made that well. It's always a constant reminder to me that things can be out of your control that easily. Drive safe all.

genphreak
09-29-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm 19, and definitely make every attempt to not take my second BMW for granted. Last year I got a great deal on a '93 525i 5 speed in the summer, and on January 15th of 2005 I was driving home from a friends and was coming down a hill, the road was icy, and I ended up sliding out of control for about 1000ft down the hill and ended up hitting 3 trees. There's one picture on my car domain site, it doesnt do justice to the severity, there was wood from the tree somehow embedded in my drivers side front brake caliper. I managed only a broken collarbone and a concussion. It's amazing that, A: at 18, I was piloting my own e-34, and B: the car is made that well. It's always a constant reminder to me that things can be out of your control that easily. Drive safe all.You are one lucky fella. If that were a Toyota or WRX or like yoghurt cartons I'd be surprised to see you telling the tale as such. Ice is a risk we don't face in Australia much- but it is only one condition which drivers must be able to predict rather than notice. Kangaroos don't stop anyone driving at 100km plus through gullies at dusk here (that's where the risk is highest that they will be crossing the road) until its too late. They are like Moose in Canada.

There is definately still evolution going on on our human dumb asses. Learnign is one thing- teaching others the easy way is the hard part. I've done my fair share the hard way too ;) Great pic angrypc, it does the job :)

Alexlind123
09-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Now how did they pick up an e34 for $1000?

anyone wondering about the strength of the e34... have a look for a top gear video segment with a head-on at 60mph or so between an e34 and a volvo of the same generation...

although the accident would be almost certainly fatal, it shows that the bmw isn't exactly a weak car, i think it fares 'well'... in saying that i mean think that at a 'normal' speed (60kmh/38mph) you'd be well protected

the vid would be somewhere on www.racingflix.com, though it's a slow download if you're not a member!

there is also a top gear segment somewhere (not sure if it'd be on racingflix) where they have a head-on between a 1993 renault espace with a 2004 espace at 40mph or so... these new cars are something to be scared of! the 2004 model absolutely ripped through the older one, so badly in fact that it didn't even need to fire airbags (just enabled seatbelt pretentioners), whilst the 91 model got annihilated.. drive safely!

jokoweb
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM

That's a lie! I have not met a tree! Who have no idea should keep his mouth!

632 Regal
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Somebody PM me if this jokoweb is a spammer, haven't banned anyone in a long time.