PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems - LKM Related Only?? (1992 e34)

afxjzs
09-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi. Im pretty new to this forum.
I just bought a 1992 525i and it seems to be having some electrical issues.
I read about how the LKM is the cause for intermittent highbeam failure.

Here my symptoms:
The lowbeams work fine. They seem to be pretty solid.
The high beams do not work at all. Don't even flicker. nothing.
The fog lights don't work at all.
I get a warning in the console stating "tailight"
The console light that illuminates mileage and such is not working.

might also be related:
the rear defroster button lights up, but the AC and recirculation buttons do not. (possibly because of a bulb being out..i imagine the AC bulb gets alot more use than the auto-shut off rear defroster bulb)
I was told the car's ac didn't work, but that it was due to a need for a recharge, not an electrical issue.

I test drove the car, and the highbeams and fog lights worked (im pretty sure), but it needed a new voltage regulator which has been replaced, and now this stuff is all broken.

also, in the fuse/relay box, there seems to be some stuff just not there. relay port 3 is open. also, when i open the smaller box in front of that there is other empty spaces. could this be the issue? (ill take pics tonight to clarify, im in work now)

One thing i just thought of:
when i first test drove the car, i am almost sure that the high beams and such were working. however, when i went to pick up the car, the guy selling it had informed me that the battery had died the night before. the radio code needed to be reset, etc

could that be related to all of this? could the battery dying mess up the fog lights and HBs?

basically, there is a whole bunch of little problems, and a several possible explanations, and i was hoping someone could help me shed some light on this before i do 10 hours of unnecessary trouble shooting.

TIA
---
Doug

uscharalph
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Sounds like 3 seperate problems (At least). The high beams and fog lights are probably related to the LKM or just need bulbs. If it's the LKM see Bruno's site: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Electrical/LKM.htm.

The second problem is re: tail light. Do your tail lights work?

The final problem is re: bulbs in back of your instrument cluster. There was a good thread discussing this in the last couple of days.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-21-2005, 01:56 PM
The low pressure switch will kill the circuit to the buttons, thus no illumination for the A/C buttons.

Go over all the fuses and check the relays before attacking the LKM.

Buy a Bentleys manual for the car, it will pay for itself.

BM-BOY
09-22-2005, 01:55 AM
Get used to intermittent problems... I have had my car for a few months now, and it still keeps surprising me!!