PDA

View Full Version : HID questions

pyro
09-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi,
Ok... so iv searched the forum and it seems to be a on going argument about which is better... Buying the euro elipsoids vs the ebay angle eye elipsoids. my question is 1. Will hid bulbes work in both (ex not melt housing and project a good pattern) and 2. is the ae ebay one based off of the euro or the us elipsoid.

I know this is a repost but i cant find a streght answer.

liquidtiger720
09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
HID bulbs will work in both. they run cooler than halogen bulbs.

If im not mistaken, the angel eye ellipsoids are euro spec.

If you want a deal on some euro spec non-angel eye ellipsoids by DEPO. Contact www.importvision.com ~ $150.

Qube
09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
While I can't vouch for e34 Depo projectors... I bought a set of supposedly good ones for my lady's Focus and here are the results...

::.. KS Projectors (eBay) : Horrible Light Throw
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51304

::.. KS Projectors (eBay) - Before & After HID Install
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52556

Of course, I'm a bit hypocritical as I just bought a set of Depo projo fogs off eBay ;)

liquidtiger720
09-20-2005, 09:29 PM
the e34 depos really are kinda sucky. I just got them. I'm gonna have to seal them up extra with something. argh. But, the are super easy to clean!

pyro
09-21-2005, 07:08 AM
i guess im paranoid because i melted my old headlight housing with a hid bulbe... but that buble wans't made to fit in the 9005 housing so i guess thats my fault. just a little paranoid

pyro
09-21-2005, 07:14 AM
now if there were euro w/ ae id be set.

EDIT:
would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-E32-ANGEL-EYES-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-5-7-SERIES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8000 665545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

liquidtiger720
09-21-2005, 07:33 AM
PM bahnstormer...he has them.

pyro
09-21-2005, 01:07 PM
pm sent

bahnstormer
09-21-2005, 01:34 PM
pm replied...

but yeah hid's run cooler than regular lights...as in 35w for most hid
and 55-80 for regular bulbs...

@liquidtiger

the e34 depos really are kinda sucky. I just got them. I'm gonna have to seal them up extra with something.

what do u mean seal them? are they foggy or what?

uscharalph
09-21-2005, 01:56 PM
"the e34 depos really are kinda sucky. I just got them. I'm gonna have to seal them up extra with something."

"what do u mean seal them? are they foggy or what?"

I'd stay away from the Depos. I think he's saying that the seal wasn't that good. We've also heard about them cracking. Go with Hella.

rockyfeller
09-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Search the forums, I've talked about this a lot. Go for Depos (like me) for the looks. Low beams are better, high beams are pretty sucky. They also DO CRACK so you need stoneguards on em trust me. Hellas are much better quality and I'd recommend them if you plan on keeping the car at least for the next 4 yrs+ (I don't think my Depos will last that long....but what do I care? I plan on selling my E34 within the next 2 yrs.) Low beams are sucky but high beams are awesome. Hellas are more susceptible to pitting than cracking but that's acceptable.

liquidtiger720
09-21-2005, 05:23 PM
pm replied...

but yeah hid's run cooler than regular lights...as in 35w for most hid
and 55-80 for regular bulbs...

@liquidtiger

the e34 depos really are kinda sucky. I just got them. I'm gonna have to seal them up extra with something.

what do u mean seal them? are they foggy or what?

Meaning. the seals suck...and water can and will defiently get in... the ellipsoid part is screwd in by three screws, and they use some really tiny thing gasket to seal that to the rest of the headlight.

The glass feels very thin too.

And they'll probly crack easy, so I hope some lamin-x will prevent that.

pyro
09-21-2005, 10:12 PM
well iv read that they leek and crack but if i get that stuff to stop the cracks and i was going to take the housing appart and use that RTV silicone and then put it back together. Thats what we do to oilpans in autoshop so im shure if it can keep oil in 24 hrs a day im shure itl keep moisture out... but no problems other than those two? thanks for everyones help.

MTV
12-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Hello Pyro,

Kind of new to the E34 world so please excuse the ignorance. You mentioned that you melted your headlight housing. I did the same by installing some "HID" bulbs. My question is... are the headlight housings removable and replaceable or do I need to purchase the whole low beam headlight assembly?

Where can I purchse just the housing if they are indeed replaceable?

Thanks.

Jay 535i
12-19-2005, 01:51 PM
pm sent

Hey guys, share the info! I'd also like to know about those ebay angeleyes and Bahnstormer's experience with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-E32-ANGEL-EYES-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-5-7-SERIES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8000 665545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Tiger
12-19-2005, 03:38 PM
He didn't buy the rebased HID kit... rebased means that they redid the mount so they fit in normal headlight socket.

Tiger
12-19-2005, 03:41 PM
I got the Hella 'Smoked' headlight from Bekkers... They are the best. The reflector on it is freeformed for maximum amount of light on the road. I installed rebased H1 HID kit onto it and the amount of light is amazing.

I got Depo headlight for my Mercedes, I can see the quality is way different from the factory Bosch... even the euro Bosch I just got. Depo has lower quality of light throw control... In any case, they are still better than the original headlight on any E34... which is super super terribly sucky when pitted.

pyro
12-20-2005, 12:17 PM
so wait since i have freeform headlights they would be better w/ hid? wouln't it be just a big GLAIR or no

bahnstormer
12-20-2005, 12:18 PM
do not put HIDs in non ellipsoid/projector housings

u'll scatter the light and blind everyone and not see much

Hypr5
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
thought so. so euro elipsoids are best choice or my firend did x5 projectors in his e34.

liquidtiger720
12-20-2005, 01:51 PM
thought so. so euro elipsoids are best choice or my firend did x5 projectors in his e34.

did the projectors bolt up to the bucket without modification?

Johntee540
12-20-2005, 03:11 PM
They are amazing. almost better than the Hella Angel Eyes Xenon in my e39 Wagon. The cut off is good and the light output is great / nice pattern and it is really really easy on the eyes during long road trips at night.

You are no longer straining to see and I am much less tired when arriving. Go Hella young man. You wont be sorry - JT

Tiger
12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
You misunderstood me... Hella has a new technology in the way they make the reflector inside their headlight whether it is reflector or projector type... Hella for E34 are all ellipsoid in the E1 code.

Go to Hella website and you will understand what I was talking about.